Group Policy - Wallpaper

mark

I have a bit of an odd question...

I've finally nailed down how to force a wallpaper to everyone on our domain (after struggling to find out \\%servername%\share\wallpaper.bmp doesn't work). Now I have the extra joy of finding a way to setup a rotating wallpaper scheme.

This is a brainstorm from one of the head honchos here who thinks it could help some morale to have rotating wallpaper that would depict employees, offices, etc.

Is there anyone out there who knows some way this could be done?

Thanks.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:21:05 -0700, "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a bit of an odd question...
>
>I've finally nailed down how to force a wallpaper to everyone on our domain (after struggling to find out \\%servername%\share\wallpaper.bmp doesn't work). Now I have the extra joy of finding a way to setup a rotating wallpaper scheme.
>
>This is a brainstorm from one of the head honchos here who thinks it could help some morale to have rotating wallpaper that would depict employees, offices, etc.
>
>Is there anyone out there who knows some way this could be done?
>
>Thanks.

If you are using logon scripts in your domain, you could add the following line:

copy \\%LOGONSERVER%\ShareName\xxxxx.bmp %SystemRoot%\xxxxx.bmp
regedit /s \\%LOGONSERVER%\ShareName\Wallpaper.reg

Where Wallpaper.reg would contain something like:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"TileWallpaper"="0"
"Wallpaper"="C:\\WINDOWS\\xxxxx.bmp"
"WallpaperStyle"="2"

and disable your Wallpaper policy.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

You can do this as policy using the free Policy Maker Registry extension.
Set these settings using the registry browser, and apply a data/time filter
so that you can rotate through one of several similar policies at various
times of the day.

Regards,

Eric Voskuil
Policy Maker
http://www.autoprof.com/policy

"Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:21:05 -0700, "Mark"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a bit of an odd question...
> >
> >I've finally nailed down how to force a wallpaper to everyone on our
domain (after struggling to find out \\%servername%\share\wallpaper.bmp
doesn't work). Now I have the extra joy of finding a way to setup a
rotating wallpaper scheme.

> >This is a brainstorm from one of the head honchos here who thinks it
could help some morale to have rotating wallpaper that would depict
employees, offices, etc.

> >Is there anyone out there who knows some way this could be done?
> >
> >Thanks.
>
> If you are using logon scripts in your domain, you could add the following
line:

> copy \\%LOGONSERVER%\ShareName\xxxxx.bmp %SystemRoot%\xxxxx.bmp
> regedit /s \\%LOGONSERVER%\ShareName\Wallpaper.reg
>
> Where Wallpaper.reg would contain something like:
>
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
> "TileWallpaper"="0"
> "Wallpaper"="C:\\WINDOWS\\xxxxx.bmp"
> "WallpaperStyle"="2"
>
> and disable your Wallpaper policy.
>

> Jerold Schulman
> Windows: General MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

The one of the free Microsoft power tools is a wallpaper changer for XP. It
could be deployed as an msi.

"Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a bit of an odd question...
>
> I've finally nailed down how to force a wallpaper to everyone on our
domain (after struggling to find out \\%servername%\share\wallpaper.bmp
doesn't work). Now I have the extra joy of finding a way to setup a
rotating wallpaper scheme.

> This is a brainstorm from one of the head honchos here who thinks it could
help some morale to have rotating wallpaper that would depict employees,
offices, etc.

> Is there anyone out there who knows some way this could be done?
>
> Thanks.

Can I ask what you did to not use the \\%servername%
\share\wallpapaer.bmp I am having an issue with setting
mine.

TRENDING THREADS