Is OCZ selling me pretty red paint?

bighop

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Just curious if anybody has any opinions on this. This is for my new build.

OCZ ATI
Pretty Red Memory

OCZ Platinum rev 2
Not so Red, but still memory

This review seems to say that these are in essence, exactly the same, except the pretty red paint costs $40 (only $23 difference after rebates). I had decided on the ATI memory, now second guessing.

I'm looking for good 6400 memory for OC'ing (not minor, but not extreme either), I had decided on the Corsair XMS2C4, but someone told me they were using crummy chips right now. How much does it really matter which brand I choose with the individual chip variance anyway?

Does anyone know if OCZ uses micron chips?

So should I stick with the red stuff, get the silver stuff, or go with something else entirely.

Thanks guys.

G

If you don't go for high OC, and which to stay withing 400-450 range I think even with Promos or other IC you should be good.

Great Ramlist

bighop

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
thanks, that list was exactly what I was looking for and I couldn't find it anywhere.

The platinum pc2-6400 rev 2 shows promos chips, maybe I'll keep looking

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
BTW

is the Corsair TWIN2X1024C4 1GB DDR800 PC6400 a good memory? what chips it uses? are those chips good?

I have it, and got it because they were corsair, but now that I see people talking about chips, dont know what to say...

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
OCZ has good reviews too, but many people report to be incompatible with ASUS boards
Kingston, Corsair are good too. I personally never heard anything good of Patriot memory.