Downlevel machine, AD user, system and group policies

If a user with an account on Windows 2000 domain logs on
to a Windows NT 4 workstation with an account in Windows
NT 4.0 domain, which polices are used?

Question 1
Computer settings are applied from system policies to the
the Windows NT workstation. Is that right?

Question 2
User settings are applied from group policies to the user
account, Is that correct? May be group policy will not
apply at all since the user logs on to a downlevel client
(i.e. Windows NT 4.0)

Please advice

Albert
3 answers Last reply
More about downlevel machine user system group policies

    Some computer configuration polices are applied to the computer such as password
    policy however user configuration Group Policy settings will never be directly
    applied to any user logging onto a NT4.0 domain computer. --- Steve

    "Albert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > If a user with an account on Windows 2000 domain logs on
    > to a Windows NT 4 workstation with an account in Windows
    > NT 4.0 domain, which polices are used?
    >
    > Question 1
    > Computer settings are applied from system policies to the
    > the Windows NT workstation. Is that right?
    >
    > Question 2
    > User settings are applied from group policies to the user
    > account, Is that correct? May be group policy will not
    > apply at all since the user logs on to a downlevel client
    > (i.e. Windows NT 4.0)
    >

    > Please advice
    >
    > Albert

    Hi Steven,

    Will any of the the user configurations of the system
    policy be applied to AD user log on to Windows NT 4.0
    workstation belonging to NT 4.0 domain?

    Ray

    I am not sure about that and I don't have setup to test on right now but my
    guess would be no. --- Steve

    > Hi Steven,
    >
    > Will any of the the user configurations of the system
    > policy be applied to AD user log on to Windows NT 4.0
    > workstation belonging to NT 4.0 domain?
    >

    > Ray

Policy Workstations Windows NT Windows