Window 7 64 Won't Download Updates

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I am currently having a probelm with my windows not downloading 2 updates. I let the auto update download and install all of the important updates but I noticed that there are 2 that are not automatacily downloading; SP 1 and Security KB2467173. The odd thing is, when I tried to download them manually through windows update, the download just hangs at 0% I have been using windows 7 for about 8 months and this is the first time an update won't download. Any idea why?. One other thing, when I stop the update that's refusing to download, my cpu goes up to
%50 usage untill i restart. Weird.
Win 7 64
Asus P7P55d Pro mobo
i7-870
4 gigs ddr 3
GTX 560 ti

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Not sure if you are talking about the C++ redistributable SP-1 update. I had both of those fail initially also on Win-7 64 Ultimate. After all other updates were installed, I installed them one at a time, and they installed without a hitch.

If you are talking about Win-7 SP-1, download and save it on your computer, then run it from the saved location. If still problems, disconnect from the Inet, disable your Antivirus, and see if that works.

Ona Island Ina Sea

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Hi

I'm having exactly the same problem with the same updates. Windows Update fails at about 300Mb and I have tried to download from Microsoft Download Center manually, but that has failed due to another problem with a new graphics card crashing my pc before I can complete the download. I'm trying again at this very moment and am at 500 Mb of 903 Mb. with another hour and a half to go due to the slowness of my connection which is bouncing between 30 and 90 Kb/sec. I will post again if successful. I did try all the suggestions from Microsoft about disabling anti-virus programs etc. but it did no good.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS
Gigabyte 890FX UB5 motherboard
XFX HD6950 1 Gb GPU
OCZ Vertex 2 60 Gb boot drive
WD 1 Tb Sata 3 storage drive
AMD 955 m box CPU @ 3.2 Mhz
G Skill 2x2 1600 + 2x2 2000=8 Gb all @1333 Mhz (until I get everything stable)
Hec X Power 600 watt power supply
Asus DVD optical drive
Raidmax Smilodon Dirktooth case (got to love that name)

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi again,
Try going to the MS download site, and choose just one update at a time, download it and intsall it. If you are trying to download 900MB of Win, IE, secuiity updates at one time, you have no way of telling which one or more updates you are having trouble with.

Ona Island Ina Sea

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Oh BTW

Anyone not familiar with MS Download Center will be required to confirm that you are running a valid copy of Win7. Just follow the prompts and you will then be able to download SP1. Just be careful to pick the right one from the list. If you look at the version of SP1 that the automatic Windows Update in your Start/All Programs list tries to download, that should set you on the right version for you. For me it is this one, I hope. LOL

windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
As far as I am concerned, if you are going to download Win-SP-1, you need to save it to disk, making sure the download was successful, then run it from the disk at a separate session. I always obtain the DVD for any Service Pack from MS (shipping $8) so when and if anything does south, I can always uninstall in and reinstall it with a known good copy.

Ona Island Ina Sea

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Well, that worked! Was able to download Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1 from Microsoft Download Center. Took more then 3 hours and 3 attempts. Grrrr. I'm going to wait until my PC is a bit more stable before installing. That's a good idea about burning it to a disc John. Not to forget to backup your system to a separate drive. I have a 60 Gb SSD for a boot drive, so to keep as much free space one of the "tricks' is to disable "system restore points". Of course you don't do this without backing up regularly. I don't know about waiting for a disc from Microsoft to come by snail-mail. People are downloading everything nowadays from games to books to movies. If a download fails you start over and go on-line shopping while it does.

Cheers