Placing shortcuts on the desktop using a policy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

Hello,

I need to put a shortcut on all of the desktops in the organization. I
would like to use a policy to do this however I dont want to redirect the
desktop. Does anyone have any Ideas? Windows 2003 domain.

Thanks
Baffled.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

Startup Scripts - either Computer or User depending on your need. You can
either use the script to copy a shortcut from a network location or use
VBScript and the WSH to create a shortcut.

Other alternative is to create an MSI package which containts your
shortcut(s).

"Baffled" <dawc21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I need to put a shortcut on all of the desktops in the organization. I
> would like to use a policy to do this however I dont want to redirect the
> desktop. Does anyone have any Ideas? Windows 2003 domain.
>
> Thanks
> Baffled.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

That's the way I do it, but I place the shortcut to be copied in the same
folder as the script. I then reference it using %~dp0 )which evaluates to
the current directory). That way, you're not reliant on a single server
being available for the script to run properly.

Cheers

Oli

"Brendon Rogers" <brendon@nospam-itology.net> wrote in message
> Startup Scripts - either Computer or User depending on your need. You can
> either use the script to copy a shortcut from a network location or use
> VBScript and the WSH to create a shortcut.
>
> Other alternative is to create an MSI package which containts your
> shortcut(s).
>
> "Baffled" <dawc21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to put a shortcut on all of the desktops in the organization. I
>> would like to use a policy to do this however I dont want to redirect the
>> desktop. Does anyone have any Ideas? Windows 2003 domain.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Baffled.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

I will personally go for alternative is to create an MSI package which
contains your
shortcut(s). Its easy to rollback.

--
Regards