unable to change password

each time i try to change a password I'll get the message
that it can not change the password at this time. Could
anyone direct me to the setting to where I can set the
time to change passwords?

There is no time table to changing passwords it just means that you
currently can not change it. Possibly the domain controller can not be
contacted or the user account is configured so that user can not change
password which can be disabled if need be in the user account properties.
If this is a domain computer it may help running netdiag on it looking for
any failed tests/errors/warnings that may mean it is misconfigured to find
the domain controller or there is a problem with the machine account/secure
channel. Netdiag is part of the support tools package found on the install
disk under support/tools where you will need to run the setup program
there.--- Steve