Slow GPO Software Install

I am deploying Microsoft .NET 1.1 using GPO. I deployed it today and
it is taking up to an hour to install. The workstations are at 10
half duplex. Is this is a common problem? Any ideas what it could
be? Would increasing to 100 half help?

Hi,

You should always set your NIC speed to the same setting as the switch port
you are connected to. If your switch is configured to Auto/Auto, you should
configure your NIC for that as well, and if your Switch port is hard coded
with for example 10/Half the PC should also use this setting The problem you
are describing definitely points to a speed/Duplex mismatch that causes
collisions and therefore you experience this slow performance.

Obvioulsy you would get better performance if you would configure both your
PC and Switch port for 100 Mbit/Full duplex if your cabling infrastructure
supports this, but getting the configuration to match would probably be a
good place to start your troubleshooting.

Regards

Niclas Lindblom

"Fat Bastard" <fbastard@satan.com> wrote in message
>I am deploying Microsoft .NET 1.1 using GPO. I deployed it today and
> it is taking up to an hour to install. The workstations are at 10
> half duplex. Is this is a common problem? Any ideas what it could
> be? Would increasing to 100 half help?

I have all the workstations set to auto. The switch is not on auto.
If there are mismatch issues the switch will show errors. I checked
and there are no errors. Before I had workstations at 100 half, but
one time a user was performing a file search on an entire network
share and hogged the bandwidth. I may have to bump it back up to 100
half to solve the GPO issue. I was hoping there were other things to
try first.

When I create a GPO for a software install I do a separate one for
each software. Is there a way to point the GPO to multiple install
points if I were to create another so it could load balance between 2
servers instead of everyone hitting the same server?

On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:09:15 +0100, "Niclas Lindblom"
<nospam.lindblom_niclas@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>You should always set your NIC speed to the same setting as the switch port
>you are connected to. If your switch is configured to Auto/Auto, you should
>configure your NIC for that as well, and if your Switch port is hard coded
>with for example 10/Half the PC should also use this setting The problem you
>are describing definitely points to a speed/Duplex mismatch that causes
>collisions and therefore you experience this slow performance.
>
>Obvioulsy you would get better performance if you would configure both your
>PC and Switch port for 100 Mbit/Full duplex if your cabling infrastructure
>supports this, but getting the configuration to match would probably be a
>good place to start your troubleshooting.
>
>Regards
>
>Niclas Lindblom
>
>"Fat Bastard" <fbastard@satan.com> wrote in message
>>I am deploying Microsoft .NET 1.1 using GPO. I deployed it today and
>> it is taking up to an hour to install. The workstations are at 10
>> half duplex. Is this is a common problem? Any ideas what it could
>> be? Would increasing to 100 half help?

I would still say that you have a network performance issue if the .Net
framework take 1 hour to install. Try to measure what throughput you are
getting by copying a large file to a server from the client and clock the
time it takes. Also if your switch is not on Auto your desktops should not
be on Auto, change either the switch port or client PC so that the settings
match.

>I have all the workstations set to auto. The switch is not on auto.
> If there are mismatch issues the switch will show errors. I checked
> and there are no errors. Before I had workstations at 100 half, but
> one time a user was performing a file search on an entire network
> share and hogged the bandwidth. I may have to bump it back up to 100
> half to solve the GPO issue. I was hoping there were other things to
> try first.
>
> When I create a GPO for a software install I do a separate one for
> each software. Is there a way to point the GPO to multiple install
> points if I were to create another so it could load balance between 2
> servers instead of everyone hitting the same server?
>
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:09:15 +0100, "Niclas Lindblom"
> <nospam.lindblom_niclas@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>You should always set your NIC speed to the same setting as the switch
>>port
>>you are connected to. If your switch is configured to Auto/Auto, you
>>should
>>configure your NIC for that as well, and if your Switch port is hard coded
>>with for example 10/Half the PC should also use this setting The problem
>>you
>>are describing definitely points to a speed/Duplex mismatch that causes
>>collisions and therefore you experience this slow performance.
>>
>>Obvioulsy you would get better performance if you would configure both
>>your
>>PC and Switch port for 100 Mbit/Full duplex if your cabling infrastructure
>>supports this, but getting the configuration to match would probably be a
>>good place to start your troubleshooting.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Niclas Lindblom
>>
>>"Fat Bastard" <fbastard@satan.com> wrote in message
>>>I am deploying Microsoft .NET 1.1 using GPO. I deployed it today and
>>> it is taking up to an hour to install. The workstations are at 10
>>> half duplex. Is this is a common problem? Any ideas what it could
>>> be? Would increasing to 100 half help?

TRENDING THREADS