RADEON X1600XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP problem?

jack54

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I went down and got my new graphic card today:

VisionTek XGE RADEON X1600XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP

I loaded the drivers and Catalyst Control Center okay, but I'm having some refresh problems. When I scroll, it refreshes wrong, kinda jerky and the page refreshes with each click on the scroll bar.
I went into display properties/settings/advance/monitors and can't change the refresh like I use to? The only setting is: "use hardware default settings". It didn't do that before? Also, my Catalyst Control Center won't load either? I've tried removing the drivers and Catalyst Control Center and just loading the drivers without the Catalyst Control Center. Same problem. Remove and Reloaded everthing again.. same problem. I also tried changing the resolution too... same problem.
When I check the systm properties, hardware, everything checks out okay there too.

What am missing or doing wrong? Is this too much graphic card for my system?

System specs:

Custom Built Desktop
WinXP PRO w/service pack 2
ECS Mobo 865G-M8 AGP
Intel Dual Core 3.4G processor
2 GB Dual DDR400 SDRAM Memory
2 S-ATA-150 x 160GB cold swap HDD
HP 21" LCD Flat panel
WinTV-PVR-150

My old card, 9800 Pro worked fine. The new VisionTek RADEON X1300 XGE 512 GDDR2 AGP I tried over the weekend worked fine and so did the Catalyst Control Center. Then, I went and got this new x1600XT

I'm stumped.

cleeve

Illustrious
If menus are jerky then video card hardware acceleration is not working...

Try removing the driver, cleaning out the old drivers with a driver cleaner, and reinstaling the newest drivers from the Ati site.

jack54

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
If menus are jerky then video card hardware acceleration is not working...

Try removing the driver, cleaning out the old drivers with a driver cleaner, and reinstaling the newest drivers from the Ati site.
In answer to previous post, yes I tried both the drivers that came with the card and then the latest from the ati website.

It is hard to explain what it's doing... not really jerky, but when I scroll it keeps refreshing the page as it scrolls down. It is not doing anything else abnormal except for I can't load the Catalyst Control Center?

And, what the heck is "driver cleaner"? A program?

What the Heck?

Here's a really simple idea, open IE/Mozilla/etc go to google, enter "driver cleaner", then look at what comes up.

GOD and Geeks help those who help themselves.

Now the interesting thing is whether you can navigate to the free version.

cleeve

Illustrious
Sarcasm? What's that?

We never have any sarcasm around here, oh no.

Everyone's always so very nice and pleasant all the time. Why, most of us wouldn't even know what sarcasm was if it up and bit us un the ass.

Really. Could someone please let me know what sarcasm is? I'm sooo curious... :p

cleeve

Illustrious
lol.

I'm reminded of a Kids in the Hall skit where this terribly sarcastic guy is sarcastic and cruel to everyone who tries to greet him, and at the end he says quietly: "I'm so lonely".

My favourite similar line which I always adapt for my last phrase there is by Steve Martin in Roxanne;

http://wav.unclebubby.com/wav/MOVIES/Roxanne/irony_rox.wav

"Oh! Irony! Oh, no no, we don't get that here. See, people ski topless here while smoking dope so irony's not really a high priority. We haven't had any irony here since, ah, '83 when I was the only practitioner of it and I stopped because I was tired of being stared at."

Seems about right to me, perfect description of Banff, no?!? :twisted:

jack54

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I went down and got my new graphic card today:

VisionTek XGE RADEON X1600XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP

I loaded the drivers and Catalyst Control Center okay, but I'm having some refresh problems. When I scroll, it refreshes wrong, kinda jerky and the page refreshes with each click on the scroll bar.
I went into display properties/settings/advance/monitors and can't change the refresh like I use to? The only setting is: "use hardware default settings". It didn't do that before? Also, my Catalyst Control Center won't load either? I've tried removing the drivers and Catalyst Control Center and just loading the drivers without the Catalyst Control Center. Same problem. Remove and Reloaded everthing again.. same problem. I also tried changing the resolution too... same problem.
When I check the systm properties, hardware, everything checks out okay there too.

What am missing or doing wrong? Is this too much graphic card for my system?

System specs:

Custom Built Desktop
WinXP PRO w/service pack 2
ECS Mobo 865G-M8 AGP
Intel Dual Core 3.4G processor
2 GB Dual DDR400 SDRAM Memory
2 S-ATA-150 x 160GB cold swap HDD
HP 21" LCD Flat panel
WinTV-PVR-150

My old card, 9800 Pro worked fine. The new VisionTek RADEON X1300 XGE 512 GDDR2 AGP I tried over the weekend worked fine and so did the Catalyst Control Center. Then, I went and got this new x1600XT

I'm stumped.
Back to the problem... I followed the instructions, untinstalled the driver and Catalyst Control and used the "driver cleaner" rebooted and from the ATI site, loaded the latest drivers:
Catalyst Software Suite 34.6MB 7.1 Jan. 10, 2007 Display Driver
Catalyst Control Center
WDM Drivers

And nothing has changed. Still can't load the Catalyst Contro Center and the scrolling is still reftreshing like before?

What now... take the card back?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
ECS Mobo 865G-M8 AGP ehh.

You did plug the monitor into the X1600XT and not the onboard video, right? Sorry, but I had to ask.

Right-click the Desktop and select Properties. Click on the Settings Tab. Click the Advanced Button and select the Adapter tab. Tell us what it says under Adapter Type.

EDIT: I cannot remember for certain, but I think the AGP X1600XTs need to be plugged into the PSU too. Did you do this?

jack54

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
ECS Mobo 865G-M8 AGP ehh.

You did plug the monitor into the X1600XT and not the onboard video, right? Sorry, but I had to ask.

Right-click the Desktop and select Properties. Click on the Settings Tab. Click the Advanced Button and select the Adapter tab. Tell us what it says under Adapter Type.

EDIT: I cannot remember for certain, but I think the AGP X1600XTs need to be plugged into the PSU too. Did you do this?
Yes, I plugged it into the card. There are dual connections on the card, should I try it on the other one?

I hooked up the power sorce to the card too.

Here is a screenshot of the adaptor you asked for:
ati1.jpg

jack54

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Card could be a lemon. Did you buy from a store where you can easily swap it?
Or you could call technical support. (don't) :wink:
-cm
Yep.. I bought it from Circut City. They're gonna get tired of seeing me as this is the 3rd card I've returned.
I had the all in one, then the x1300 now this one. I was told by the guys on the forum here to return the first one as they weren't better than my old ATI 9800 Pro I had.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Indeed it looks as though you have a dud.

VGASave is a generic driver Windows loads in case the primary Display Driver doesn't load. You have installed all other drivers (Chipset, LAN, etc...) correct? There could have been some sort of motherboard AGP driver missing but I doubt it because you noted that previous AGP cards worked fine.

Looks like you need to make one more trip to Circuit City. Print out that screen shot (B&W will work) and show it to them as proof that the card isn't working properly.

jack54

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Okay, thanks everybody for your help.
I will see if the 7600GT came in yet too. If it does, I'll swap the card for that one.
I think the X1600XT should do the job for me as all I play is MS FS2004 and do lots of PhotoShop & PhotoPaint work.

jack54

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Well I took the X1600 Card back and complained enought to get another 10% off. :thumbsup:

I'm fed up with ATI, so this time I got a GeForce 7600GS 512MB DDR2 AGP

Installed it and had it running with software installed no problems in 15 minutes.

I wanted the GeForce 7600GT, but they didn't have it.

So, is this card better than the X1600XT?

jack54

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007