JECKYLL & HYDE

February 5, 2005 5:56:42 PM

My PC has this duel personality complex. Sometimes from startup everything
is fine, running at normal speed. But other times it appears to be on a
go-slow, where everything takes ages to load up and do stuff. The split is
50 / 50.
Any ideas as why this is happening, and what can be done?
(Not a virus! And no error messages. Running Norton systemworks 2005, so
everything in tip-top condition!)

More about : jeckyll hyde

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:56:43 PM

Geoff A. wrote:

> My PC has this duel personality complex. Sometimes from startup
> everything is fine, running at normal speed. But other times it
> appears to be on a go-slow, where everything takes ages to load
> up
> and do stuff. The split is 50 / 50.
> Any ideas as why this is happening, and what can be done?
> (Not a virus! And no error messages. Running Norton systemworks
> 2005,
> so everything in tip-top condition!)

If you are running the full suite of Norton Systemworks, not only
is everything *not* in tiptop condition, but that in itself is
likely to be responsible for at least part of your slowdown.

I would turn off everything but Norton Anti-Virus (others will
undoubtedly advise you even to get rid of NAV, and replace it
with a different anti-virus product).

Also, do you run *several* (one isn't enough) anti-spyware
products, such as Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-aware, Spyware
Blaster?

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:04:42 PM

I don't have any anti-spyware running. Do you think I should? What would you
recommend & how much is it?!
Also, if NAV is responsible, what's the answer?
Thanks.
Geoff.
news:o Y$byZ5CFHA.2032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Geoff A. wrote:
>
>> My PC has this duel personality complex. Sometimes from startup
>> everything is fine, running at normal speed. But other times it
>> appears to be on a go-slow, where everything takes ages to load up
>> and do stuff. The split is 50 / 50.
>> Any ideas as why this is happening, and what can be done?
>> (Not a virus! And no error messages. Running Norton systemworks 2005,
>> so everything in tip-top condition!)
>

> If you are running the full suite of Norton Systemworks, not only is
> everything *not* in tiptop condition, but that in itself is likely to be
> responsible for at least part of your slowdown.
>
> I would turn off everything but Norton Anti-Virus (others will undoubtedly
> advise you even to get rid of NAV, and replace it with a different
> anti-virus product).
>
> Also, do you run *several* (one isn't enough) anti-spyware products, such
> as Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-aware, Spyware Blaster?

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:04:43 PM

In news:u1Kmox5CFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Geoff A. <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> typed:

> I don't have any anti-spyware running. Do you think I should?

Definitely! Unfortunately everyone needs to. If you've been
running without it, you almost certainly have multiple pieces of
malware on your system, and this is very likely a large part of
your performance problems.

> What
> would you recommend & how much is it?!

There are lots of free products that are very good. Start with
the three I mentioned, quoted below. They are all free.

> Also, if NAV is responsible, what's the answer?

No, I don't think NAV is responsible. But the rest of the
Systemworks suite, running in the background, could be. None of
it is necessary, and it takes a toll on your performance.

Although many people whose opinions I respect (including most
other MVPs) strongly advise against NAV, I personally use it and
haven't had a problem with it.

So what I recommend is to run the three antispyware products and
turn off everything in Systemworks except for NAV. Then evaluate
your performance. If you're still having problems, post back for
more advice.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> news:o Y$byZ5CFHA.2032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Geoff A. wrote:
>>
>>> My PC has this duel personality complex. Sometimes from
>>> startup
>>> everything is fine, running at normal speed. But other times
>>> it
>>> appears to be on a go-slow, where everything takes ages to
>>> load up
>>> and do stuff. The split is 50 / 50.
>>> Any ideas as why this is happening, and what can be done?
>>> (Not a virus! And no error messages. Running Norton
>>> systemworks
>>> 2005, so everything in tip-top condition!)
>>

>> If you are running the full suite of Norton Systemworks, not
>> only is
>> everything *not* in tiptop condition, but that in itself is
>> likely
>> to be responsible for at least part of your slowdown.
>>
>> I would turn off everything but Norton Anti-Virus (others will
>> undoubtedly advise you even to get rid of NAV, and replace it
>> with a
>> different anti-virus product).
>>
>> Also, do you run *several* (one isn't enough) anti-spyware
>> products,
>> such as Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-aware, Spyware Blaster?
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:22:02 PM

Spyware Search & Destroy-Free download
Adawre Personal Edition Lite-Free Download
ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall-Free Download
AVG Free 7.0-Free Download
Spyware Blaster-Free Download

Peace of mind-Priceless
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:32:42 PM

Geoff

What RAM memory do you have and what is your processor speed?

What is the status of Indexing Service on your computer? Start,
Administrative Tools, Services. If running then disable the Service as
it drains system performance. Most users disable the service.

Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
combination of factors. Listed
below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing
poor performance after
the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting
of Windows XP but the
list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the
list until you achieve an
acceptable result.

Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how
often you do it will depend
on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:
1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore
( more Options tab )
and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
partition you may
need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General,
Delete Cookies.
5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
visited is retained. Start,
Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.

Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
update Reference file
from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
parasites. If Spyware
persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over
reliance on virtual memory,
may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an
earlier version of Windows.
Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256
MB is
recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on
pagefile (virtual
memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
http://www.dougknox.com/

Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where
your pagefile is located.
You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative
Tools, Services, Indexing
Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running.
More information here:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing...

You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
programmes/windows after
use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started
are really necessary.
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular
programme. Look in Google to
see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a
solution.
http://groups.google.com/

Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event
Viewer by selecting Start,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of
the error, information
regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>I don't have any anti-spyware running. Do you think I should? What
>would you recommend & how much is it?!
> Also, if NAV is responsible, what's the answer?
> Thanks.
> Geoff.
> news:o Y$byZ5CFHA.2032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Geoff A. wrote:
>>
>>> My PC has this duel personality complex. Sometimes from startup
>>> everything is fine, running at normal speed. But other times it
>>> appears to be on a go-slow, where everything takes ages to load up
>>> and do stuff. The split is 50 / 50.
>>> Any ideas as why this is happening, and what can be done?
>>> (Not a virus! And no error messages. Running Norton systemworks
>>> 2005,
>>> so everything in tip-top condition!)
>>

>> If you are running the full suite of Norton Systemworks, not only is
>> everything *not* in tiptop condition, but that in itself is likely to
>> be responsible for at least part of your slowdown.
>>
>> I would turn off everything but Norton Anti-Virus (others will
>> undoubtedly advise you even to get rid of NAV, and replace it with a
>> different anti-virus product).
>>
>> Also, do you run *several* (one isn't enough) anti-spyware products,
>> such as Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-aware, Spyware Blaster?
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:19:29 AM

I've run 2 of the spy-blocker programs and found nearly 100 separate items!
I just assumed Norton internet Security Pro. would be stopping all these.
How did they get through??
Also, is there an accepted list of maintenance procedures that those "in the
know" routinely carry out?
Geoff.
> In news:u1Kmox5CFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Geoff A. <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> typed:
>
>> I don't have any anti-spyware running. Do you think I should?
>

> Definitely! Unfortunately everyone needs to. If you've been running
> without it, you almost certainly have multiple pieces of malware on your
> system, and this is very likely a large part of your performance problems.
>

>> What
>> would you recommend & how much is it?!
>

> There are lots of free products that are very good. Start with the three I
> mentioned, quoted below. They are all free.
>

>> Also, if NAV is responsible, what's the answer?
>

> No, I don't think NAV is responsible. But the rest of the Systemworks
> suite, running in the background, could be. None of it is necessary, and
> it takes a toll on your performance.
>
> Although many people whose opinions I respect (including most other MVPs)
> strongly advise against NAV, I personally use it and haven't had a problem
> with it.
>
> So what I recommend is to run the three antispyware products and turn off
> everything in Systemworks except for NAV. Then evaluate your performance.
> If you're still having problems, post back for more advice.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> news:o Y$byZ5CFHA.2032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

>>> If you are running the full suite of Norton Systemworks, not only is
>>> everything *not* in tiptop condition, but that in itself is likely
>>> to be responsible for at least part of your slowdown.
>>>
>>> I would turn off everything but Norton Anti-Virus (others will
>>> undoubtedly advise you even to get rid of NAV, and replace it with a
>>> different anti-virus product).
>>>
>>> Also, do you run *several* (one isn't enough) anti-spyware products,
>>> such as Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-aware, Spyware Blaster?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:19:30 AM

NIS is a firewall to prevent intruders and antivirus against viruses.
Spyware is neither.

You have been lucky. The lady across the street asked me for help and I
found more than 300.

I run three antispy programs every few days. AdAware (Lavasoft), Spybot,
and Pest Patrol (CA). Lately I have been using the Microsoft Antispyware
Beta program, which I let run everynight (scheduled).
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...
It looks pretty good.

Others will chime in shortly with programs they like and links to sites with
comprehensive info.

> I've run 2 of the spy-blocker programs and found nearly 100 separate
> items! I just assumed Norton internet Security Pro. would be stopping all
> these. How did they get through??
> Also, is there an accepted list of maintenance procedures that those "in
> the know" routinely carry out?
> Geoff.
>> In news:u1Kmox5CFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> Geoff A. <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> typed:
>>
>>> I don't have any anti-spyware running. Do you think I should?
>>

>> Definitely! Unfortunately everyone needs to. If you've been running
>> without it, you almost certainly have multiple pieces of malware on your
>> system, and this is very likely a large part of your performance
>> problems.
>>

>>> What
>>> would you recommend & how much is it?!
>>

>> There are lots of free products that are very good. Start with the three
>> I mentioned, quoted below. They are all free.
>>

>>> Also, if NAV is responsible, what's the answer?
>>

>> No, I don't think NAV is responsible. But the rest of the Systemworks
>> suite, running in the background, could be. None of it is necessary, and
>> it takes a toll on your performance.
>>
>> Although many people whose opinions I respect (including most other MVPs)
>> strongly advise against NAV, I personally use it and haven't had a
>> problem with it.
>>
>> So what I recommend is to run the three antispyware products and turn off
>> everything in Systemworks except for NAV. Then evaluate your performance.
>> If you're still having problems, post back for more advice.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> news:o Y$byZ5CFHA.2032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

February 7, 2005 1:40:28 AM

>> Also, if NAV is responsible, what's the answer?
>

> No, I don't think NAV is responsible. But the rest of the Systemworks
> suite, running in the background, could be. None of it is necessary, and
> it takes a toll on your performance.
>
> Although many people whose opinions I respect (including most other MVPs)
> strongly advise against NAV, I personally use it and haven't had a problem
> with it.

Good advice; but it has always bewildered me that "most other MVPs) strongly
advise against NAV. I've used it for many years and never seen a problem
with it, AFTER I RTFM. It's true, NAV doesn't like a "dirty" system and if
it's misconfigured in the right places, slow downs and strange things do
happen. Just like any other program that ties itself into the bowels of the
system. Visual.NET is probably the biggest slow-down hog I've ever seen,
but in my experience with many other machines, I have never seen a NAV
installation at fault unless there was something wrong to start with that
caused it to slow down. I've tried and had experience with many av apps,
including one of the most popular at the moment, AVG, but ... other than the
price tag, there is nothing about NAV that puts it as a disadvantage to any
other av app. Norton's (or NcAfee, too) speed of recognition and release of
fixes for virus et al is nothing short of phenominal and to date I haven't
yet seen anyone beat Norton to the punch in getting protection/removal
released, with two possible exceptions on some occasions, both of which are
paid apps.
According to my logs, the last three NAV installs I tweaked resulted in
NO noticeable changes in program operation. I deemed one second noticeable
in a ten second process, and each increased linearly as the byte-size
increased. It calculates to much less than ten percent, usually if I
recall, in the order of 3 or 4 percent, measured by screen presentations
back to the process start.

It's only when people have all of the monitors running and the av probably
doing a scan on every file opened, closed, copied, moved, or access, that
NAV causes any problems with speed. As delivered, it's fine.

It's a disappointing scenario too, since MVPs, for me, are a highly regarded
resource and I've gotten an incredible amount of assistance and information
from them. Most are so far ahead of me that I could never begin to repay
them in like kind for their efforts.
So, that begs the question of WHY the MVP arena is so full of Norton
haters? The only rationalization I've come up with is that the "training"
points them in that direction somehow. I have minimal experience with the
MVP world, since I had barely gotten started in it when I decided it was
taking too much time and so quit. So my only present connection is the
newsgroups.
IMO, it's unacceptable for supposedly target-educated people to make
generalizations about the abilities of any application without solid
information to back that up. I know this is going to invite a lot of
flames, but that's OK; I can take it. Being opportunistically located in a
thread like this, maybe it won't create a never-ending story out of this
thread. I hope it won't, at least.

The other funny thing is that McAfee, although losing ground lately, has
never been generalized to be as bad as Norton, and yet that app can bring a
pc to its knees with only a setting or two. I'm not sure about current
defaults, but MF used to be defaulted to slowing the system down, just, I
think, to prove it was working!

Oh well, them's my two cents, adjusted for inflation and referenced to 1969
dollars. the rest being spent on my flame-proofed skin.

Pop
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:05:24 PM

"Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message

> So, that begs the question of WHY the MVP arena is so full of
> Norton haters? The only rationalization I've come up with is
> that the "training" points them in that direction somehow. I
> have minimal experience with the MVP world, since I had barely
> gotten started in it when I decided it was taking too much time
> and so quit. So my only present connection is the newsgroups.

MVPs are a diverse lot of people, just like everyone else, with
very different backgrounds. They don't get any special training
from Microsoft or from anywhere else. Each has his own opinion
about Norton, just as about anything else.

So here's my view: many of the MVPs who hate NAV work as
professional support people and see a lot of computers with
NAV-related problems. I'm retired and don't do professional
support; although I work on a fair number of computers of friends
and relatives, their number is less than a lot of other MVPs.
Also in most of the cases, I've done the installations myself,
and that may have reduced the potential for problems.

So I have my own no-problem experience with NAV (on a fair number
of machines), but I also respect the views of others who have had
wider experience with it.

Please reply to the newsgroup
!