office deployment

we assign software installs based on OU but have several seperate sites
and lately have a fair few users moving between sites for a period of
time. when they are moved to the appropriate OU office uninstalls /
reinstalls based on the new OU but all the info is pulled over the WAN
from the original install point so is causing problems all round.

can this be changed to say a DFS deployment where office would look to
the closest repository for the files or is there another method
available? ... the setup is currently all win2k serves / desktops.

DFS would do the trick. Keep in mind you're going to saturate your WAN links
when you do the initial replication - best to do it off hours.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

In article <O#GIquVPEHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us says...
> DFS would do the trick. Keep in mind you're going to saturate your WAN links
> when you do the initial replication - best to do it off hours.
>
> --

if we have say 20gb we are using as a dfs repository on several sites
for our software installs, etc ... apart from additions the data rarely
changes what should we be setting our frs staging areas to?

You'd probabably need 10GB or so to handle the initial replication, which
I'd do in a few chunks.