Submersion Build Power Supply

The_Hanz

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I plan on doing a submersion build with pumps taking fluid out by the video card and exhausting it onto the CPU. All with huge copper heatsinks of course.

Haven't decided on the oil yet, don't need to till I build it.

I'm building a system with a

C2D E6400
EVGA 7600 gt
Couple of hard drives (plan on putting six in later and setting up a RAID)
2x1gb patriot ram
GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 mainboard

I will "not" SLI. I will later upgrade to an 8800 or better later, so the PSU will need to be able to handle it.

I plan to overclock this system as best I can while keeping stability.

My problem is that I plan on using pumps to run the fluid through a copper heater core with fans on it (I'm a mechanic, heater cores are easy to come by.) Will I run this off of my computer's power supply or another one? I'd rather run it off a seperate one. I don't mind flipping several switches when I turn my computer on.

PSU's are about the only thing I sweat about when buying parts simply due to my lack of confidence when buying one.

Oh, and any cases recommended for a submersion build? I was originally just gonna buy a cheap server case.

I'm a welder too, I could always buy a second PSU for the pumps and weld a cage for it onto the case, then just use that one for accessories and the likes so I don't have to worry about my system's power.

Any advice or suggestions on PSU's would be great and about what pumps to use, whether it be homemade or bought and whether to run them off the PSU or not.