Mixed networking?? How can I connect a G5 (mac) with a PC?

infernal617

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hi everyone, I just happens to have a Mac G5 and an Winxp based Pc. I share the internet connection through a dlink DI-624 router. Both computers arbor many harddrives and I was wondering if I could possibly share some of those drives between both??

I searched before but havent found anything comprehensive and explicit as to how to do it.

Thanks for answers

JiM

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
With a router the file sharing is the same. Just turn on file sharing in XP. Macs are good for connecting to just about anything. I don't recall what it's called on the mac. But add a network connection. Use the IP address of the pc, if it doesn't see it. I'm not sure what to set on the mac side, it's been 9 mo since I did the last one.

infernal617

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Thx for he advice, ill try out some more this afternoon but since I really dont know jack abouts macs, i'll try and post again if I cant make it work.

Thx
JiM

gameniac85

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I think as long as the G5 has at least Panther (Mac OS 10.3) then it should be able to share folders amongst each other with out any problems. It might even be Jaguar, but I could be wrong. It has also been a while since I have done this on a Mac, but I know I have gotten it to work. I am not sure if I ever got the PC to connect to the Mac, but I know I got the Mac to at least connect to the PC and send and receive files. If you are having problems, you could look at using a program called Dave, which I used to share folders back when I was still using just Mac OS X. Here is the link to the software if you need to try it.

http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

From what I recall it was not that difficult to do and really only required tweaking around in the Mac's file sharing section in the control panel. Anyway, good luck.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I searched before but havent found anything comprehensive and explicit as to how to do it.

Really? I found this with a 2 second Google search. It covers Mac to PC, but I think PC to Mac is a bit more involved. As I understand it, current Macs use a version of Samba to enable filesharing with Windows PCs. You might try looking for more along those lines...

infernal617

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Finally, thanks folks, i got the mac to connect to my pc and now I can stop with my portable HD, lol, i used this to carry digital photos from my pc (downstairs) to my step fathers mac (upstairs). I got it running using dhcp within my DLINK DI-624. Thanks alot boys.

JiM