C2D Overclocking Quide Questions

Zoom77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Hello,

Yesterday I followed the Core2Duo Overclocking Guide v1.1 for my first overclock of an e6300 using the P5B-E. I just used a bit lower voltages than those suggested in the guide, and went directly to 400FSB.

I run 2 instances of Prime95 for half an hour with temperatures reported by Core Temp as 44C (for each core) and by Probe II as 50C.

Today I want to make some adjustments and I have some questions:

1) According to the guide, several things are disabled to "lighten up duties placed on the chipset". However since my overclock is a mild one, are there any of those technologies (Virtualization, EIST etc) that could be useful and I should therefore turn them back on?

According to the guide:
Part6. Finalising
-Lower vCore by one notch at a time until lowest possible while maintaining the same stableness
-Do the same for vMCH, vFSB, vICH after the above step is completed

It says nothing about vDimm. Does that mean that vDimm should not be lowered if possible?

I also have another newbie question:

What are the default standard voltages for the e6300 core, FSB and DIMM?
Would selecting "auto" always equate the default non overclocked voltage?

And one more thing: The side panel of my case (CM Cavalier 3) is currently removed, and I also plan to add one more pci card (modem). How much can closing the case and adding this pci card affect the temperatures. I am using an Artic Freezer 7, would adding another 8cm fan on the side panel to blow directly on the heatsink improve things a lot?

Thanks

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
1) It says nothing about vDimm. Does that mean that vDimm should not be lowered if possible? What are the default standard voltages for the e6300 core, FSB and DIMM?

2) Would selecting "auto" always equate the default non overclocked voltage?

3) And one more thing: The side panel of my case (CM Cavalier 3) is currently removed, and I also plan to add one more pci card (modem). How much can closing the case and adding this pci card affect the temperatures. I am using an Artic Freezer 7, would adding another 8cm fan on the side panel to blow directly on the heatsink improve things a lot?

Thanks

Hey there,

I've quoted and numbered the bits of your post I know the answers to, okay? Right, here goes....

1) I've lumped these questions together as they are related. vDIMM is the voltage supplied to your memory. All memory is designed to run at the JEDEC standard voltage (1.8v). If you wanted to overclock your memory you would have to increase this voltage (to increase stability when running at higher frequency/tighter timings). However, a lot of memory is advertised with say 4-4-4-12 timings, but will only run at this speed with higher voltage, eg, 2.1v, so its really down to your RAM. What brand and spec do you have? Don't know standard voltages for E6300 and FSB sorry. Should tell you in your BIOS though. What motherboard do you have?

2) Yes.

3) Replacing the side panel will most likely increase your temps unless your case has a few fans already. I recently fitted 2 80mm fans to a case that previously had none, and brought the temp down a whopping 15C! Not really surprising though when you think about it...... so yes, add another fan.... I've got 4 120mm and one 250mm on mine!