run script on clients thru GPO?

robin

Hi,

Background:
a) Win2K Server, SP4 running Active Directory(domain
controller)
b) 100 Clients machines running on Win2KProf,SP4 joined
Domain.

I've written a script using WMI to extract security-logs
from each individual machines.

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(Security)}!
\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colLoggedEvents = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_NTLogEvent Where (Logfile
= 'Security')

Question:
a) How can I implement this script to be used on all the
100 Clients without installing the script on all clients?

b) This script is to be run only once a month. Is there
anyway, thru GPO, that I can schedule a group of
computers to exec a
script only on certain days of the month?
I am thinking whther there is any scheduler that I can use
on the Server instead of configuring the Windows Schedule
Task on every clients.

Thanx

Rgds,
Robin

<snip>
Hi Robin,

I'd go with a slightly different approach. Instead of having each client
run the script you can modify it to connect remotely to the clients,
extract the information and save it to a file. This way you get a
centralized solution, manage and troubleshoot it only at the server and
you can schedule it as a task on the server. You can implement more
solid logging, retry for unsuccessful connections, etc. Consult Tech Net
Script Center for many sample scripts (if you haven't already done so ;)

Otherwise, yes, you can use group policy, a startup script will be most
appropriate. But you'll have to do the "did script run" check yourself -
you cannot specify with GP that a script should run on a specific date
or any other recurrence. However, you can still make use of Task
Scheduler on the clients by setting up a job and distributing this .job
file to their %windir%\Tasks folders. But it will be harder to manage
and troubleshoot - you don't have few clients.

Also, you might want to take a look at a ready to use solution -
EventCombMT, that you might find useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824209

HTH
--
Cheers,