Tattooing the registry using group policy

I'm trying to create an ADM file that Sets the "Empty Temp internet
files on exit" flag in Internet Explorer.

I've added it to the templates list and removed the check on the
View->"Policies only" so that my option appears in the tree.

When I try to enable the option i've created it doesn't seem to
reflect the change in main group policy window. It still says
unconfigured..

Is it possible to tatoo the registry in this way using group policy?

Simon.
4
answers
Last reply
More about tattooing registry group policy

    All ADM settings that modify anything outside of the four dedicated
    "policies" subkeys will tattoo the Registry.

    --
    Derek Melber
    BrainCore.Net

    "Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message news:<ei3x$woPEHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > All ADM settings that modify anything outside of the four dedicated
    > "policies" subkeys will tattoo the Registry.

    *nod*.. I gather this..

    But when I try to Enable a custom setting i've created in the ADM that
    is outside the four dedicated policy subkeys then when I press "Apply"
    "OK" to close the dialog box the main group policy window still says
    the setting has not been configured.

    I'm wondering if this is a bug or whether i've just done something
    wrong.

    Cheers,

    Simon.

    Ckwop@hotmail.com (Simon Johnson) wrote in message news:<f5668ae7.0405210045.59f151ce@posting.google.com>...
    > "Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message news:<ei3x$woPEHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > > All ADM settings that modify anything outside of the four dedicated
    > > "policies" subkeys will tattoo the Registry.
    > >

    > *nod*.. I gather this..
    >
    > But when I try to Enable a custom setting i've created in the ADM that
    > is outside the four dedicated policy subkeys then when I press "Apply"
    > "OK" to close the dialog box the main group policy window still says
    > the setting has not been configured.
    >
    > I'm wondering if this is a bug or whether i've just done something
    > wrong.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Simon.

    For the benifit of people who might have a similar problem I found the
    problem involved the fact that the:

    KEYNAME "\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\Cache\"

    Should actually be:

    KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\Cache"

    The leading and trailing slash is what makes the difference.

    Cheers,

    Simon.

    I would need to see the error that says that it has not been configured.

    --
    Derek Melber
    BrainCore.Net
    derekm@braincore.net
    "Simon Johnson" <Ckwop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message
    > > All ADM settings that modify anything outside of the four dedicated
    > > "policies" subkeys will tattoo the Registry.
    > >

    > *nod*.. I gather this..
    >
    > But when I try to Enable a custom setting i've created in the ADM that
    > is outside the four dedicated policy subkeys then when I press "Apply"
    > "OK" to close the dialog box the main group policy window still says
    > the setting has not been configured.
    >
    > I'm wondering if this is a bug or whether i've just done something
    > wrong.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Simon.

Policy Internet Explorer Registry Windows