Tattooing the registry using group policy

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 20, 2004 12:06:17 PM

I'm trying to create an ADM file that Sets the "Empty Temp internet
files on exit" flag in Internet Explorer.

I've added it to the templates list and removed the check on the
View->"Policies only" so that my option appears in the tree.

When I try to enable the option i've created it doesn't seem to
reflect the change in main group policy window. It still says
unconfigured..

Is it possible to tatoo the registry in this way using group policy?

Simon.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 1:59:19 PM

All ADM settings that modify anything outside of the four dedicated
"policies" subkeys will tattoo the Registry.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"Simon Johnson" <Ckwop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to create an ADM file that Sets the "Empty Temp internet
> files on exit" flag in Internet Explorer.
>
> I've added it to the templates list and removed the check on the
> View->"Policies only" so that my option appears in the tree.
>
> When I try to enable the option i've created it doesn't seem to
> reflect the change in main group policy window. It still says
> unconfigured..
>
> Is it possible to tatoo the registry in this way using group policy?
>
> Simon.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 5:45:40 AM

"Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message news:<ei3x$woPEHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> All ADM settings that modify anything outside of the four dedicated
> "policies" subkeys will tattoo the Registry.

*nod*.. I gather this..

But when I try to Enable a custom setting i've created in the ADM that
is outside the four dedicated policy subkeys then when I press "Apply"
"OK" to close the dialog box the main group policy window still says
the setting has not been configured.

I'm wondering if this is a bug or whether i've just done something
wrong.

Cheers,

Simon.
May 21, 2004 12:28:20 PM

Ckwop@hotmail.com (Simon Johnson) wrote in message news:<f5668ae7.0405210045.59f151ce@posting.google.com>...
> "Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message news:<ei3x$woPEHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> > All ADM settings that modify anything outside of the four dedicated
> > "policies" subkeys will tattoo the Registry.
> >

> *nod*.. I gather this..
>
> But when I try to Enable a custom setting i've created in the ADM that
> is outside the four dedicated policy subkeys then when I press "Apply"
> "OK" to close the dialog box the main group policy window still says
> the setting has not been configured.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a bug or whether i've just done something
> wrong.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

For the benifit of people who might have a similar problem I found the
problem involved the fact that the:

KEYNAME "\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Cache\"

Should actually be:

KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Cache"

The leading and trailing slash is what makes the difference.

Cheers,

Simon.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:29:17 PM

I would need to see the error that says that it has not been configured.

--

!