IDE cables... Flat vs Rounded

tenxt

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I want to know which is the best option IDE Flat Cables or IDE Rounded cables, maybe someone can help me decide which is the best?

Tonka

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
I want to know which is the best option IDE Flat Cables or IDE Rounded cables, maybe someone can help me decide which is the best?

Alot depends on what your planning to do with it, IMHo I prefer the round cables. Makes for better air flow, and less for the dust to hang too. I also feel they are nuch cleanier looking and easier to move around when you need to work inside the case.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
On the other hand, if you're good with cable routing you can fold the flat cables very neatly and they look cleaner than even the rounded cables. It also might be possible to route them underneath the motherboard for an "invisible connection" look. I think the rounded cables also have a problem with EMI shielding.

harty23690

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I'd say rounded due to better airflow and better ability for cable management. (make it tidy and pretty lol)

However if you are a whizz with cable management you may prefer the flat cables.

Also - goes without saying that you should go with SATA whereever possible.

jnv11

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2005
I think that flat cables are better because the separation the ground wires placed in between the signal wires reduce crosstalk. The signal wires do not get as much protection from crosstalk in round cables as they do in flat cables.

TRENDING THREADS