Deploy Hotfix through Group Policy

Is their a way to deploy a hotfix(.exe file) through group
policy?
If so , how?
2 answers Last reply
More about deploy hotfix group policy

    Policy Maker Software Update:

    http://www.autoprof.com/pdf/pmsu.pdf

    Regards,

    Eric Voskuil
    Policy Maker
    http://www.autoprof.com/policy

    "PBS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is their a way to deploy a hotfix(.exe file) through group
    > policy?
    > If so , how?

    PBS,

    As Eric has informed you, yes. There is a way. However, the solution is
    with a third-party software vendor. There is no native way to distribute an
    ..exe file via group policy. In order to use GPO, you need to have an .msi
    file. That said, I must let you know that there are several ways to create
    your own .msi files.

    One way is to use WinInstall Lite ( included on the WIN2000 Server CD ).
    Essentially, you perform a clean install of WIN2000 Professional on a
    machine. Take that picture ( later to be referred to as the 'before
    shot' ). Install the updates that you want. Take that picture ( later to
    be referred to as the 'after shot' ). WinInstall Lite will create this .msi
    file for you based on the difference between the 'before shot' and the
    'after shot'. It has been almost two years since I have even looked at it.
    Please note that you can not guarantee this method as well as if you had a
    'native' .msi file.

    Also, this would be a perfect situation for SUS ( soon to be called WUS ).
    Software Update Services would most probably be your best bet in this
    situation.

    HTH,

    Cary

    "PBS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is their a way to deploy a hotfix(.exe file) through group
    > policy?
    > If so , how?

Policy Microsoft Windows