Deploy Hotfix through Group Policy

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 20, 2004 5:34:12 PM

Is their a way to deploy a hotfix(.exe file) through group
policy?
If so , how?
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 11:41:55 PM

Policy Maker Software Update:

http://www.autoprof.com/pdf/pmsu.pdf

Regards,

Eric Voskuil
Policy Maker
http://www.autoprof.com/policy

"PBS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is their a way to deploy a hotfix(.exe file) through group
> policy?
> If so , how?
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 2:01:51 PM

PBS,

As Eric has informed you, yes. There is a way. However, the solution is
with a third-party software vendor. There is no native way to distribute an
..exe file via group policy. In order to use GPO, you need to have an .msi
file. That said, I must let you know that there are several ways to create
your own .msi files.

One way is to use WinInstall Lite ( included on the WIN2000 Server CD ).
Essentially, you perform a clean install of WIN2000 Professional on a
machine. Take that picture ( later to be referred to as the 'before
shot' ). Install the updates that you want. Take that picture ( later to
be referred to as the 'after shot' ). WinInstall Lite will create this .msi
file for you based on the difference between the 'before shot' and the
'after shot'. It has been almost two years since I have even looked at it.
Please note that you can not guarantee this method as well as if you had a
'native' .msi file.

Also, this would be a perfect situation for SUS ( soon to be called WUS ).
Software Update Services would most probably be your best bet in this
situation.

HTH,

Cary

!