Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Undo p/w protected access to Int Explorer

Tags:
  • Hotmail
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:34:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Daughter's XP pc setup - it can't get to the internet without first
reqyiring log-in in to her MSN account. It's a pain in the arris (cockney
rhyming slang, for non-Brit's info) when needing driver downloads, not
hotmail access.

Is this normal for users with Hotmail accounts, or is it possible to use
Internet Explorer for its designed purpose? She's happy to use MSN as home
page - I prefer "about blank" - no hassle, no screen clutter.

If normal access is possible, how do we correct her set-up? (I'm not
familiar with either hotmail or .Net (or whatever it is - the passport
thingy - don't use it myself).

Appreciate friendly guidance - Len

More about : undo protected access int explorer

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:34:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Instead of using "her" account, create another account, administrator type,
and use it for updates - you can then set it up to use "blank" for IE and
not have this issue.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"
www.google.com

***********************************************

"Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
news:SRbNd.784$zQ2.30@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
> Daughter's XP pc setup - it can't get to the internet without first
> reqyiring log-in in to her MSN account. It's a pain in the arris (cockney
> rhyming slang, for non-Brit's info) when needing driver downloads, not
> hotmail access.
>
> Is this normal for users with Hotmail accounts, or is it possible to use
> Internet Explorer for its designed purpose? She's happy to use MSN as home
> page - I prefer "about blank" - no hassle, no screen clutter.
>
> If normal access is possible, how do we correct her set-up? (I'm not
> familiar with either hotmail or .Net (or whatever it is - the passport
> thingy - don't use it myself).
>
> Appreciate friendly guidance - Len
>
>
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:34:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:34:26 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:

> Daughter's XP pc setup - it can't get to the internet without first
> reqyiring log-in in to her MSN account. It's a pain in the arris (cockney
> rhyming slang, for non-Brit's info) when needing driver downloads, not
> hotmail access.
>
> Is this normal for users with Hotmail accounts, or is it possible to use
> Internet Explorer for its designed purpose? She's happy to use MSN as home
> page - I prefer "about blank" - no hassle, no screen clutter.
>
> If normal access is possible, how do we correct her set-up? (I'm not
> familiar with either hotmail or .Net (or whatever it is - the passport
> thingy - don't use it myself).
>
> Appreciate friendly guidance - Len

Is MSN her ISP? If she uses MSN Explorer, she'll need to log in with it
before going anywhere else. There is a box on that signup page to log on
automatically...

There used to be a way to log on to MSN using IE and creating a connection
icon manually. However I think that doesn't work anymore (MSN/username and
then password; SPA checked if it's available). That method wasn't
documented in the MSN support pages. It was passed around among the users.
Perhaps someone in the msn.discussion group would know if it still works or
not.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Related resources
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:02:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Yes, Sharon (though if/when I can restore dual internet connectivity, I
might be able to create a second NTL account on her pc - I think I'm allowed
more than one e_mail account, and NTL is my provider. Either that, or create
it on my pc and have her access it through my proposed network - see post in
"hardware".

Look forward to anyone with the undocumented twitch, if it still exists.

Thanks for the info. Len

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:udK$Tr$CFHA.3888@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:34:26 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:
>
>> Daughter's XP pc setup - it can't get to the internet without first
>> reqyiring log-in in to her MSN account. It's a pain in the arris (cockney
>> rhyming slang, for non-Brit's info) when needing driver downloads, not
>> hotmail access.
>>
>> Is this normal for users with Hotmail accounts, or is it possible to use
>> Internet Explorer for its designed purpose? She's happy to use MSN as
>> home
>> page - I prefer "about blank" - no hassle, no screen clutter.
>>
>> If normal access is possible, how do we correct her set-up? (I'm not
>> familiar with either hotmail or .Net (or whatever it is - the passport
>> thingy - don't use it myself).
>>
>> Appreciate friendly guidance - Len
>
> Is MSN her ISP? If she uses MSN Explorer, she'll need to log in with it
> before going anywhere else. There is a box on that signup page to log on
> automatically...
>
> There used to be a way to log on to MSN using IE and creating a connection
> icon manually. However I think that doesn't work anymore (MSN/username and
> then password; SPA checked if it's available). That method wasn't
> documented in the MSN support pages. It was passed around among the users.
> Perhaps someone in the msn.discussion group would know if it still works
> or
> not.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:09:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Good thinking, will try it when we get her LAN connection sorted - different
problem, in hardware ng.

Thanks, Len

"Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23xMlki$CFHA.2620@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Instead of using "her" account, create another account, administrator
> type,
> and use it for updates - you can then set it up to use "blank" for IE and
> not have this issue.
>
> --
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
> "Google is your Friend!"
> www.google.com
>
> ***********************************************
>
> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> news:SRbNd.784$zQ2.30@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
>> Daughter's XP pc setup - it can't get to the internet without first
>> reqyiring log-in in to her MSN account. It's a pain in the arris (cockney
>> rhyming slang, for non-Brit's info) when needing driver downloads, not
>> hotmail access.
>>
>> Is this normal for users with Hotmail accounts, or is it possible to use
>> Internet Explorer for its designed purpose? She's happy to use MSN as
>> home
>> page - I prefer "about blank" - no hassle, no screen clutter.
>>
>> If normal access is possible, how do we correct her set-up? (I'm not
>> familiar with either hotmail or .Net (or whatever it is - the passport
>> thingy - don't use it myself).
>>
>> Appreciate friendly guidance - Len
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:09:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Good thinking - will try that

Thanks, Len
"Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23xMlki$CFHA.2620@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Instead of using "her" account, create another account, administrator
> type,
> and use it for updates - you can then set it up to use "blank" for IE and
> not have this issue.
>
> --
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
> "Google is your Friend!"
> www.google.com
>
> ***********************************************
>
> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> news:SRbNd.784$zQ2.30@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
>> Daughter's XP pc setup - it can't get to the internet without first
>> reqyiring log-in in to her MSN account. It's a pain in the arris (cockney
>> rhyming slang, for non-Brit's info) when needing driver downloads, not
>> hotmail access.
>>
>> Is this normal for users with Hotmail accounts, or is it possible to use
>> Internet Explorer for its designed purpose? She's happy to use MSN as
>> home
>> page - I prefer "about blank" - no hassle, no screen clutter.
>>
>> If normal access is possible, how do we correct her set-up? (I'm not
>> familiar with either hotmail or .Net (or whatever it is - the passport
>> thingy - don't use it myself).
>>
>> Appreciate friendly guidance - Len
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:43:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 04:02:41 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:

> Look forward to anyone with the undocumented twitch, if it still exists.

This was for MSN as an ISP. The MSN (paid for) service comes with email
accounts. You get an MSN address with Hotmail as the server.

If she just uses the MSN home page and has a hotmail address, that's not
the same thing. For hotmail she would use the .NET passport and mark the
"sign me in automatically" for that page.

I have an MSN account bringing my own access. If I want to sign in, I use
MSN Explorer. If I don't want to sign in, I use IE that is setup for a
different home page. Then click a link or type the URL to go to the public
www.msn.com site (not the my.msn.com home page .NET will take you to). From
there, I can "stay public" or click the Sign In button - my choice.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User