Account Lockout Trouble

Hi

I have a W2K server and a few W2K Pro machines together in a domain.
It's a small home lab for learning purposes. I created a new OU and added
specific users, also one of the W2K Pro machines.
I then created a new policy for this
OU, which included "hide all desktop icons" amongst others. I also enabled
the account lockout policy, to lock out users after 2 failed attempts. This
is
the one that I can't seem to get working. Regardless of how many failed
login
attempts I try with the user, the account never locks out. Is there
something
else I have to do ontop on what I've already done

I've checked over Microsoft site and followed, all instructions on creating
Policies, also
been through my study book. Anyone help me out

Thank You
5 answers Last reply
More about account lockout trouble

    I'm pretty sure the account lock out policy is like the
    password policy--can only be set thru the domain default
    policy. It appears in OU policies, but is not effective.

    Ken

    Hi Ken

    Yeah seems your right, I tested it out and it worked fine when applied
    through domain default policy.
    Anyone know if theres a way around this, to apply it to specific users only?

    Thanks Again
    "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm pretty sure the account lock out policy is like the
    > password policy--can only be set thru the domain default
    > policy. It appears in OU policies, but is not effective.
    >
    > Ken

    There is no workaround for any domain user. Configuring a different account policy at
    the OU level will apply only to local users on the computers in that OU. --- Steve

    "Cell" <aaaa@aaa.aaa.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Ken
    >
    > Yeah seems your right, I tested it out and it worked fine when applied
    > through domain default policy.
    > Anyone know if theres a way around this, to apply it to specific users only?
    >
    > Thanks Again
    > "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm pretty sure the account lock out policy is like the
    > > password policy--can only be set thru the domain default
    > > policy. It appears in OU policies, but is not effective.
    > >
    > > Ken

    Ok guys, thanks a lot for that.

    > There is no workaround for any domain user. Configuring a different
    account policy at
    > the OU level will apply only to local users on the computers in that
    U. --- Steve

    > "Cell" <aaaa@aaa.aaa.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Ken
    > >
    > > Yeah seems your right, I tested it out and it worked fine when applied
    > > through domain default policy.
    > > Anyone know if theres a way around this, to apply it to specific users
    only?

    > > Thanks Again
    > > "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm pretty sure the account lock out policy is like the
    > > > password policy--can only be set thru the domain default
    > > > policy. It appears in OU policies, but is not effective.
    > > >
    > > > Ken

    A little extra info that might be useful can be found in the following
    whitepaper. It covers recommended configuration as well as troubleshooting
    tools and methods:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/bpactlck.mspx

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    > Ok guys, thanks a lot for that.
    >

    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> There is no workaround for any domain user. Configuring a different
    > account policy at
    >> the OU level will apply only to local users on the computers in that
    > U. --- Steve
    >>

    >> "Cell" <aaaa@aaa.aaa.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Ken
    >> >
    >> > Yeah seems your right, I tested it out and it worked fine when applied
    >> > through domain default policy.
    >> > Anyone know if theres a way around this, to apply it to specific users
    > only?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks Again
    >> > "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Policy Microsoft Windows