Sharing network and Internet-connection:!:

Do you share your network with others (except your family)??

• Yes, I do!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No, I don''t!

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No, but I''m planning to do it in the future!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No, and I''m not planning to do it in the future!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The-Pizzaboy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hey.

One of my friends want to get a 256/128 Kbps Internet-connection, but he don't want to pay what it costs (and it's pretty expensive, the price per. Kb is nearly 1 danish coin 8O).
But, I got the same connection as that he wants, and I've got the idea, we could share my connection.. But here's the problems:

1.) We can't see each other's house because of trees and other buildings. :x

2.)We don't have the right equipment. :(

But, here is the advantage:

There is a man who have a large tower (about 60 meters high). And I thought that I may get permission from him to setup a kind of AP (maybe a little satellite dish), and then could I point the dish down at his house, so I can max out the signal strength.
But I don't know if this will work. :(

Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Doing relays like that will kill the connection. Lags will be to great to make it usable. You will get timed out prompts. 11b/g was not design for that.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
is there really enough bandwidth for sharing?
it seems like a...noble idea but if you start to download anything then your really gonna saturate the internet connection.
I think that you can get AP repeaters that strengthen the signal, but if i remember they are quite expensive...i think that the only viable option would be to run a cable...though that is kinda stupid outdoors as cat.5 isnt designed for outdoor use...and you are limited to about 100 metres....one lightning strike and you can say good by to ur/his PC. you would have to bury the cable, again more time+ effort...you dont say if you live in a city or suburbs. obviously using cable in a city is not viable.

back onto wireless
you can have a look for an external antenna. this would allow for a weaker signal to be picked up and accessed.
also look up the cost of directional antennas. they will (obviously) help with longer range signal.
you havnt told us what the tower is for. cause if its for transmission then you might have some problems with interferrence...if its for transmission on the 2.4 Ghz then ur prob. f***ed through interferrence.
also if there you are in a city then you have microwaves cordless fones etc. that play hovoc with the signal. Also bad weather will effect it.

you will have to look into point to point wireless, though its LOS. I havent really looked hard, the only stuff that ive really found is for commercial purposes
you can have a look at this site and see if its the right stuff
http://www.bbwexchange.com/products/wireless_wimax_wifi_point_to_point.asp
i couldnt be bothered but that doesnt mean that u dont have to be.

although...now looking on it...starting to wonder if its for commertial aswell...

The-Pizzaboy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I live in a neighborhood. If we say that the houses in the neighborhood lies in a circle, the radius of the neighborhood is approximately 350 meters. And the distance from me to my friends house is about 200-300 meters.

The tower I've been talking about is not used by the public, it's only used by a man and his family, so interference will not be a problem.

Hope this extra information will help :lol:

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
read these
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=469092836&m=5350997552

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=469092836&m=7310941132

do they have any significence?
one guy said that he was replying from 400feet over his yard with 11mb speed, which is about 130 metres.

one thing you could try to do is get a sat dish and a wireless antenna, but them together and you've got a parapolic directional antenna!
one thing is that you will have to see if you can reflect the signal in the tower
maybe a dish that reflexs it without power?

or another thing you could try is to place the antenna on the tower, tell the old guy that he can access it too, just get an omnidirectional outdoor anttenna with enough power

quote from the thread:
Good news, Bad news
The good news is the antennas do work across the lake. The distance is roughly 4.5miles from site to site.

The bad news is my initial tests only revealed a Marginal signal strength and 2Mbps connection rates. Less than stellar but still damn sweet for being homemade antennas and a hodge-podge network.

One problem I think I am having though is a radio line of sight issue.
As mentioned before, a stick is not the most ideal way to mount these antennas, also the antenna is alittle too low for the kinds of distances I am trying to cover. I think part of the problem is once the signal gets out over the water I run into a fresnel issue with the signal reflecting off the water and screwing with my signal.

I am going to mount the antennas up on the roof of one end and on a poll for the other end. This should give me about 20 extra feet of clearence for the signal to make it across the lake. endquote

also to the guy about lag and ping
Oops, I forgot to post the results of PING from the first antenna test.

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=30

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=30

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=30

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=30

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=30

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:

Packets: Sent = 13, Received = 11, Lost = 2 (15% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 5ms

The time outs are because my arm got tired from hold the antenna and it drooped slightly.

Bobdole,

though another thing is that this was written 5 years ago

The-Pizzaboy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I have some good news...

My ISP will upgrade all 256/128 Kbps connections to 512/128 Kbps connections, FREE!!! :eek: 8) :D

Will that provide enough bandwidth for sharing my network with my friend?? :?