Domain Default Policy

cell

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Hi

I applied a policy at domain level, I edited the default one. I then deleted
this policy from the domain, but the settings for the policy still seem to
be
in place, although I have deleted the policy from the GP tab under domain
properties. I have no other policies applied at any level, so I am still
unsure
as to why the settings from the deleted policy are still in place.

Anyone?
Thanks

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

It's like that because the policy gets applied when it's
well, applied. If you delete the policy, the settings
don't revert to a Non-configured status, they stay the
way last changed until another default domain policy
comes around and updates it. If you want the stuff to be
Not-configured, the best I could say would be to give it
effective settings of Not-configured...I think I'm a
little confused with what I said, but can't find another
way of saying it right now.

HTH,
Ken

cell

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Hi Ken

Yeah that seems to make sense. well I think I understand it.
Lets see....The default domain policy that I assigned to the
domain, is still in place, even though it was deleted from the
Group Policy tab? and If I want to override the settings / re-configure
them, I would need to assign a new policy at the same level, or on a
more granualr level to do this?

Thanks again

"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It's like that because the policy gets applied when it's
> well, applied. If you delete the policy, the settings
> don't revert to a Non-configured status, they stay the
> way last changed until another default domain policy
> comes around and updates it. If you want the stuff to be
> Not-configured, the best I could say would be to give it
> effective settings of Not-configured...I think I'm a
> little confused with what I said, but can't find another
> way of saying it right now.
>
> HTH,
> Ken

Sounds correct. I think you actually have to set the policies you set to
disabled to reverse them.
"Cell" <aaaa@aaa.aaa.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ken
>
> Yeah that seems to make sense. well I think I understand it.
> Lets see....The default domain policy that I assigned to the
> domain, is still in place, even though it was deleted from the
> Group Policy tab? and If I want to override the settings / re-configure
> them, I would need to assign a new policy at the same level, or on a
> more granualr level to do this?
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It's like that because the policy gets applied when it's
> > well, applied. If you delete the policy, the settings
> > don't revert to a Non-configured status, they stay the
> > way last changed until another default domain policy
> > comes around and updates it. If you want the stuff to be
> > Not-configured, the best I could say would be to give it
> > effective settings of Not-configured...I think I'm a
> > little confused with what I said, but can't find another
> > way of saying it right now.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Ken

cell

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Yep, It's coming together now. Thanks to both of yous.