WordPad can't load files.

February 6, 2005 3:30:57 AM

I have many many text files that I moved over from my old computer. When
I want to read or edit these files, the default program used is
Microsoft Office Word. But to use this program beyond the trial period,
I have to buy it.

I discovered that there is WordPad and I can read and edit the files
with That program. All was well.

So, I tried to modify the default so that I could use WordPad. I right
clicked on one of my files and it suggested two choices, one of which
was WordPad. I chose WordPad and it wouldn't open the files (which I had
previously been able to open).

The message I got is: "Can not load Word for Windows 6.0 files."

Now I can find no way to use WordPad for these files.

I tried searching the Knowledge Base including Microsoft. There is some
indication that many programs have this trouble after the Service Pack 2
is installed. There is further indication that there is a registry
change that can be made to fix this but it isn't clear to me exactly
what change to make for WordPad.

And, in addition, it indicates that it is dangerous to make Registry
Changes without backing it up which I don't know how to do and am
hesitant to mess with without clear and specific directions.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Stan

More about : wordpad load files

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 3:30:58 AM

Stan wrote:
> I have many many text files that I moved over from my old computer.
> When I want to read or edit these files, the default program used is
> Microsoft Office Word. But to use this program beyond the trial
> period, I have to buy it.
>
> I discovered that there is WordPad and I can read and edit the files
> with That program. All was well.
>
> So, I tried to modify the default so that I could use WordPad. I
> right clicked on one of my files and it suggested two choices, one of
> which was WordPad. I chose WordPad and it wouldn't open the files
> (which I had previously been able to open).
>
> The message I got is: "Can not load Word for Windows 6.0 files."
>
> Now I can find no way to use WordPad for these files.
>
> I tried searching the Knowledge Base including Microsoft. There is
> some indication that many programs have this trouble after the
> Service Pack 2 is installed. There is further indication that there
> is a registry change that can be made to fix this but it isn't clear
> to me exactly what change to make for WordPad.
>
> And, in addition, it indicates that it is dangerous to make Registry
> Changes without backing it up which I don't know how to do and am
> hesitant to mess with without clear and specific directions.

Purchase Word or use Open Office:
http://www.openoffice.org/

--
<- Shenan ->
February 6, 2005 3:30:58 AM

Yes, there was a change to WordPad and Notepad during the SP2 update, but as
far as a reg fix to put if back, no - the programs were changed as both had
a security problem with a buffer overrun being able to execute unauthorized
programs. But if you wish, you can extract the old versions from you XP CD
and put them back, but you'll be vulnerable again to this exploit.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have many many text files that I moved over from my old computer. When
> I want to read or edit these files, the default program used is
> Microsoft Office Word. But to use this program beyond the trial period,
> I have to buy it.
>
> I discovered that there is WordPad and I can read and edit the files
> with That program. All was well.
>
> So, I tried to modify the default so that I could use WordPad. I right
> clicked on one of my files and it suggested two choices, one of which
> was WordPad. I chose WordPad and it wouldn't open the files (which I had
> previously been able to open).
>
> The message I got is: "Can not load Word for Windows 6.0 files."
>
> Now I can find no way to use WordPad for these files.
>
> I tried searching the Knowledge Base including Microsoft. There is some
> indication that many programs have this trouble after the Service Pack 2
> is installed. There is further indication that there is a registry
> change that can be made to fix this but it isn't clear to me exactly
> what change to make for WordPad.
>
> And, in addition, it indicates that it is dangerous to make Registry
> Changes without backing it up which I don't know how to do and am
> hesitant to mess with without clear and specific directions.
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks
> Stan
Related resources
February 6, 2005 7:10:12 AM

Admiral Q wrote:
> Yes, there was a change to WordPad and Notepad during the SP2 update, but as
> far as a reg fix to put if back, no - the programs were changed as both had
> a security problem with a buffer overrun being able to execute unauthorized
> programs. But if you wish, you can extract the old versions from you XP CD
> and put them back, but you'll be vulnerable again to this exploit.

I think I found a way around this problem. I discovered that my system
has Microsoft Works as well as WordPad. And I have use of Office Word
for a couple of months without paying.

So, I open the files with Office Word and save them as rich text. Then I
can open them with WordPad or Works.

I didn't try editing them but they do look the same.

I must say that my impression of Microsoft just went down a notch.
Looked like they were trying to force me to buy an Office Package that I
would never use except for Word.

Thanks for explaining what was going on.

Stan
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:10:13 AM

Glad to see you can read your files. What makes you think you have to buy
Office just to get Word? See:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/word/howtobuy/default.m...

> Admiral Q wrote:
>> Yes, there was a change to WordPad and Notepad during the SP2 update, but
>> as
>> far as a reg fix to put if back, no - the programs were changed as both
>> had
>> a security problem with a buffer overrun being able to execute
>> unauthorized
>> programs. But if you wish, you can extract the old versions from you XP
>> CD
>> and put them back, but you'll be vulnerable again to this exploit.
>>

> I think I found a way around this problem. I discovered that my system
> has Microsoft Works as well as WordPad. And I have use of Office Word for
> a couple of months without paying.
>
> So, I open the files with Office Word and save them as rich text. Then I
> can open them with WordPad or Works.
>
> I didn't try editing them but they do look the same.
>
> I must say that my impression of Microsoft just went down a notch. Looked
> like they were trying to force me to buy an Office Package that I would
> never use except for Word.
>
> Thanks for explaining what was going on.
>
> Stan
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 5:01:45 PM

Stan,

Here is the actual article:

Error message when you open a document file in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883090

How to backup the Windows XP Registry?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

--