allow users to connect remotely using terminal services gr..

Hi there

In W2003S there is a GP named "allow users to connect remotely using terminal services group policy" that enables the possibility to connect to all the workstations in the group via remote desktop.

Is there anybody who knows if W2000S has the same option, and if not - is there a workaround?

Martin Purdy
3 answers Last reply
More about allow users connect remotely terminal services

    <snip>
    This setting activates the Remote Desktop, i.e. the terminal services
    since WinXP. As noted in the setting's requirements, WinXP and above
    support it. The reason for this is that in WinXP and Win2K3 terminal
    services are pre-installed and loaded and can be activated/deactivated
    without a reboot which is not the case in Win2K. In Win2K you have to
    enable them from Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components
    and reboot. You can also give a shot at:

    "Windows 2000 Terminal Services Toggle Functionality"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;222992

    If it works, you can write a custom .adm file to implement this setting
    with a GPO.

    HTH
    --
    Cheers,
    Marin Marinov

    What I meant was, if there is a GP setting in Win2kserver that can enable remote users on a winXP machine.

    The setting is there W2K3, but I have not been able to find it in Win2K Server

    Martin

    In article <9B89B3AC-48CB-4054-BC2E-C060F4656D50@microsoft.com>,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > What I meant was, if there is a GP setting in Win2kserver that can enable remote users on a winXP machine.
    >
    > The setting is there W2K3, but I have not been able to find it in Win2K Server
    >
    > Martin

    Aaah, ok, I see your point now, sorry about that, Martin. Yes, you can
    get the updated settings. These are contained in the so-called
    "administrative templates files" (files with the .adm extension) and are
    updated by each service pack or OS. You'll need to manually upgrade
    them, check out these links for more information:

    Managing Windows XP in a Windows 2000 Server Environment
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mngwinxp.
    mspx

    How to Upgrade Administrative Template Files
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/managing/upgradetempl
    ate.asp

    I'd really suggest you get the .adm files from Win2K3 - either from an
    installed server or the CD (you'll need to search for *.ad_ files and
    then 'expand' them to a temporary folder). This way you'll get all the
    new settings and won't have to repeat this for Win2K3. You can just copy
    the new .adm files to %systemroot%\inf, overwrite the current files and
    when you next open a GPO the GPO Editor will compare timestamps of files
    stored in SYSVOL with those in %systemroot%\inf and, by default, will
    update the GP with the latest (which, however, can have unwanted effects
    in some cases - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
    US;316977). This way you get two benefits - update the GPO and use the
    new templates for all new GPOs you create from now on.

    HTH
    --
    Cheers,
    Marin Marinov