How do I tell MMC to look to the local DC for my domain's ..

When I tell MMC to browse for my domain's Group Policy, MMC hangs because
it's trying to connect to the domain controller across our WAN.

Is there a way to tell MMC (or configure the domain controller), so MMC will
look to our local DC for the Group Policy information?

Thanks!

GPOs are by default created on the server holding the FSMO role PDC
Emulator, This can be changed to another server, but the change are domain
wide.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Mike Herchel" <michael.herchel[@]wavecrestlabs.com> skrev i meddelandet
> When I tell MMC to browse for my domain's Group Policy, MMC hangs because
> it's trying to connect to the domain controller across our WAN.
>
> Is there a way to tell MMC (or configure the domain controller), so MMC
will
> look to our local DC for the Group Policy information?
>
> Thanks!

Thanks! Do you know if it's possible to have more than one DC in an
organization perform this role?

"Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> GPOs are by default created on the server holding the FSMO role PDC
> Emulator, This can be changed to another server, but the change are domain
> wide.
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "Mike Herchel" <michael.herchel[@]wavecrestlabs.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > When I tell MMC to browse for my domain's Group Policy, MMC hangs
because
> > it's trying to connect to the domain controller across our WAN.
> >
> > Is there a way to tell MMC (or configure the domain controller), so MMC
> will
> > look to our local DC for the Group Policy information?
> >
> > Thanks!

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Hey Mike-

I think you can have more than one FSMO (Flexible Single
Master Operation) role handler in an organization, only
if you have more than one domain... the roles:

Schema Master, Domain Naming master, Infrastructure
Master, RID Master, & PDC Emulator...

....Can be broken up onto different DCs within the domain,
but you can have only one of each per domain.

I think for your situation, it sounds like you may have
to grin and bear it and fetch a cup of coffee while
awaiting MMC.

Sorry...

Ken

skrev i meddelandet
>> > When I tell MMC to browse for my domain's Group
Policy, MMC hangs
>because
>> > it's trying to connect to the domain controller
across our WAN.

>> > Is there a way to tell MMC (or configure the domain
controller), so MMC
>> will
>> > look to our local DC for the Group Policy
information?

>> > Thanks!
>> >

>.

Hmm... It sounds to me like I might have to talk to my boss about setting up
a subdomain (if the WAN continues to be really slow). Thanks,

"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey Mike-
>
> I think you can have more than one FSMO (Flexible Single
> Master Operation) role handler in an organization, only
> if you have more than one domain... the roles:
>
> Schema Master, Domain Naming master, Infrastructure
> Master, RID Master, & PDC Emulator...
>
> ...Can be broken up onto different DCs within the domain,
> but you can have only one of each per domain.
>
> I think for your situation, it sounds like you may have
> to grin and bear it and fetch a cup of coffee while
> awaiting MMC.
>
> Sorry...
>
> Ken

Hello Ken and Mike.

FSMO roles PDC Emulator, Infrastructure Master, RID are unique in each
domain. This means you can create and child domain for the site in
replication propose.

FSMO roles Schema Master and Domain Naming Master are forest wide roles.