366MB user profile, why?

I've been using the same Windows 2000 installation for quite some time now.
My user profile is currently 366MB. Why so large? When I click System
Properties... User Profiles there's a noticeable delay before it loads up,
because it is so large. Is this 'real information' or did I get a corrupt
file at some point?

--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
- anonymous entrepreneur

There's also a possiblity that the 366MB profile is not a result of having a
small number of large files in your profile, but a large number of small
files. Remember that your Internet Explorer cache, all files on your
desktop, and all files in your My Documents folder are all included in your
user profile. Try clearing your Internet Explorer cache and see how much of
a difference it makes.

Adam Arndt

"Brandon J. Van Every" <reverse it com dot indiegamedesign at vanevery>
wrote in message news:%23IhgjF1QEHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I've been using the same Windows 2000 installation for quite some time
> now.
> My user profile is currently 366MB. Why so large? When I click System
> Properties... User Profiles there's a noticeable delay before it loads up,
> because it is so large. Is this 'real information' or did I get a corrupt
> file at some point?
>
> --
> Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
> Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA
>
> "The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
> - anonymous entrepreneur

Do a search for *.* in the folder c:\documents & settings\<Username> and
sort the result after file size and you should see what is filling up your
profile space.

Regards

Niclas Lindblom

"Brandon J. Van Every" <reverse it com dot indiegamedesign at vanevery>
wrote in message news:%23IhgjF1QEHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I've been using the same Windows 2000 installation for quite some time
> now.
> My user profile is currently 366MB. Why so large? When I click System
> Properties... User Profiles there's a noticeable delay before it loads up,
> because it is so large. Is this 'real information' or did I get a corrupt
> file at some point?
>
> --
> Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
> Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA
>
> "The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
> - anonymous entrepreneur

Check the individual folders within the profile to see where the bulk of the data is
being stored. If you have a lot of files in my documents or it's subfolders. Media
files can take up a lot of room. Also try deleting your temporary internet files
which can take up a lot of room on a large disk. --- Steve

Steven L Umbach wrote:
> Check the individual folders within the profile to see where the bulk
> of the data is being stored. If you have a lot of files in my
> documents or it's subfolders. Media files can take up a lot of room.
> Also try deleting your temporary internet files which can take up a
> lot of room on a large disk. --- Steve

I do have large numbers of files in My Documents, particularly e-mail
archives. I'm just surprised that this is regarded as part of a User
Profile.

--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA