ANOTHER new build thread

pilto

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Hi Guys.

Long time reader, first time poster. Have used this site to build 4 of my previous systems and have been very happy with the advice. Now, I am posting my own build here for critique.

Background
My current PC is another Intel build. Basic specs here:
Intel 915PBL mobo
Intel Pentium 4 3.4 Prescott (hot bastard)
1 GB pretty DDR2
2 X 160GB WD SATA HD in Raid (0)
Sapphire Radeon x700 Pro
other junk

raid is starting to die, and the system in general is getting pretty long in the tooth. I have the following system speced out and just looking for advice. I am mostly interested in the bottom line. Any suggestions on areas I can cut corners from the cost perspective is much appreciated.

here is my new spec:
Antec Solution SLK3000-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($59.99)
COOLMAX "SLI" CXI-500B ATX v2.01 500W Power Supply ($69.99)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300 ($195.00)
GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard ($108.99)
CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($123.00)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ($79.99)
eVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card $175.99
Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card ($27.99)
MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive ($6.99)
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound ($5.99)
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista ($139.99)
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler ($29.99)
Subtotal: $1,023.90

i will be reusing the CD/DVD Combo(s) from my current system. there are 2 of them, if that makes a difference.

Any areas here where I might be able to scrimp a little on the item costs? it's pretty good now, but I wouldn't mind saving another hundred or so...

also, i am a gamer and will be overclocking this so if there are parts here I should be worried about, please let me know. Thanks guys and this community rocks!

-pilto

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Looks pretty good to me. Any suggestions I might make would only save a dollar or 2. Biggest thing I can think of would be memory, but again, would only save about $10-$15.

Unless you plan on a pretty hard core OC, drop the cooler. Never hurts to have it, but that's $30 plus shipping. Can always add it down the road when you have the extra cash. Try this G. Skill memory. It OCs well, and saves you another $15.

So yeah, other than that, looks good. :)

pilto

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
thanks AMDThunder

took your advice on the ram. couple bucks is a couple bucks.

question though:

i have my current P4 box, and an older P4 box sitting dead in the corner. can i reuse the operating system from one of the older systems that is no longer running? it is also Win XP Pro, and they were purchased new with the system that is no longer running.

is this doable?

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I think that depends on whether or not it was a prebuilt system. If you have the XP CD, you should be ok to install it. If it's a prebuilt software CD, it probably won't let you install it on another rig. I can't recall whether XP made you register to the PC when installed. I'm still running Win2K Pro, when there were no restrictions.

harty23690

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Technically yes as long as the disk that its on is formatted.

However internet activation may not work and you may have to call the MS product activation line to do so.

Why not just wait a month and pick up a copy of vista home premium.

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
The 7900GS and the power supply is the only thing I can see a problem with.

First, the 7900GS is nice, but it's not really great when you consider the cost. You could get an X1900GT and you'd still be high-flying, the thing is the 1900GT doesn't over-clock as well as the 1950 Pro, they perform about the same though @ stock speeds.

Second, the power supply is decent I guess. I don't know if you can get more than 500 watts on a cheap power supply and not break how much you've already spent.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Agreed - the Coolmax is neither the coolest or the maximum you can get - it doesn't even come close. Sparkle or Fortron are solid brands - Look up the PSU 101 guide on the Forums, and go through some of the links on the first posting - you will get a better idea of what the better brands are. Select at least a Tier 2.

Sorry for my redundant post - but I had a bad experience with a coolmax before - it wasn't pretty. They may have improved, but I won't get back on that particular horse again.

Cheers.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
The memory you are quoting is PC6400, and you need PC6400C4.

Check this site for Gigabyte's qualified memory list:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-965g-ds3.pdf

You can get away with DDR2 533, and when you check the price for the PC6400C4, you may find this a significant savings.

Not sure if you're referring to the memory he listed, or the G. Skill I listed. The G. Skill may not be on the compatibility list, but I assure you it works, and OCs like a champ. The OP mentioned he did want to OC, hence the 800 instead of the 533.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
The memory he listed. But since yours works, that stick may work, as well. My Asus P5B Deluxe is really picky on the memory, so that's where I was coming from. The Gigabyte may be less "tempermental." Good point on the OC, although he did want to save some money, too. Ah, the yin-yang. Doggy biscuits or ...

pilto

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
ok, taking input, and looking at some other areas i could save, i have decided to do the following. i was gonna grab the nvidia, then looked at the ati, and now looking at my old card and i decided that i am just gonna keep the old x700 and wait until the dx10 cards start coming out. i have an old agp card in a dead/almost dead box, so i can just dump that in the old rig if i decided to keep it together.

i have an older Antec Lanboy that is honestly a GREAT case. have had it for a while and although the prescott in there could fry an egg, its still running after a couple years. figured i would just keep that case and just clean it out and replace the powersupply. any thoughts on that?

k, specs a little different. since i dumped a vid card and case upgrade, it left me another C note to work with. so i went with my first option for the mobo, and dumped another gig in there. gonna splurge for the cooler cause i put an aftermarket on my last rig and was very happy/suprised with the temp drop. alread have grease so no need to buy. ok, so here is the new setup.

OLD(ish) Antec Lanboy case.
Intel C2D E6300 1.86GHz
ASUS P5B-E
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Creative Sound Blaster 7.1 Audigy 4 SE Sound Card
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A, 500W - Retail
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
plus new OS (decided to just buy one) and floppy
this puts me at $993.85.

also, i have 2 160GB 7200 (forget brand) that i was thinking of putting in here as a secondary drive in a mirrored raid (1). AND, 2 DVD/CD Burners (burn both). with the 500W be enough for spec + old crap added + upgraded vid card in future or should i just suck it up a get a bigger PS?

akhilles

Splendid
Looks great. You could save some more money by using onboard sound instead of a sound card.

The PSU depends on what your future video card is. The bigger & more quality it is, the longer the next psu upgrade. Isn't it the same for other parts?

pilto

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
i decided to add the soundcard because i haven't heard much good regarding the onboard audio, and it's only 50 bucks.

as far as the video card, i was looking at the new nvidia 8 cards but wanted to wait and see where ati went. i am pretty sure i am gonna just get the nvidia but a couple months and prices will drop a bit. the x700 is getting pretty old, but it still works with most games and could go another couple months i think. at least enough time to see what happens with the graphics cards.