onboard asus SPDIF has intermittent pops/cracks in audio

jingleby

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
i've got an Asus k8n-e deluxe mobo and have recently plugged in the SPDIF output (by coax) to my receiver. it worked great for hte first week ro so, but after that i started to get random digital pops/cracks breaking up the audio and at some times the audio would even stop permenently.

it seemed unplugging the SPDIF and replugging it briefly remedied the problem, but not fully. this would just allow me to hear audio again but it'd still be broken up.

i've dloaded and installed/updated the Realtek AC'97 driver (from asus' site) to 5.10.0.5865 as of today and its a little better but not much.

i realize onboard sound is a bad idea, but since its only itunes going thru it its fine for me.

mobo: Asus K8N-E Deluxe
running winxp
1.5gb ram
amd athlon 64 3000+

any suggestions besides going back to analog?
has anybody heard of this type of problem?
thanks.

Could the cable be to blame...in digital if a cable goes....skkkiiiipppppp pp pp p happens....

just a long shot.....

You can also go check if Realtek(the little crab :) ) has there own newer drivers....i tend not to use Asus drivers as they are out of date....

Realtek HD drivers supposed to work with ALL HD codecs....have only tried them on intel boards....but should be the same....