Sign in with
Your question

Why are local computer stores full of idiot employees!?!?!?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
Last response: in CPUs
January 15, 2007 7:15:43 PM

I am trying to source the E4300 cpu locally and every shop I call has never heard of it. These are techno-dork computer shops and they keep insisting that a 4300 HAS to be an AMD number...

ARGH!!!!!! :evil: 

More about : local computer stores full idiot employees

January 15, 2007 7:30:32 PM

Quote:
I am trying to source the E4300 cpu locally and every shop I call has never heard of it. These are techno-dork computer shops and they keep insisting that a 4300 HAS to be an AMD number...

That way Jack gets to bring all of them out of the darkness of degradation and bad PC choices.
:oops: 
January 15, 2007 7:34:14 PM

Don't get me started..... here in the UK we have a store chain named PC World, and they seriously dont have a clue. One of my friends wanted a job there, and he got turned down (despite studying Computer Science at uni) because they told him we arn't interested in that, what sales experience do you have? Turns out they're now sending their staff on training courses to swat up on the techy stuff.....
Related resources
January 15, 2007 7:37:00 PM

Quote:
Don't get me started..... here in the UK we have a store chain named PC World, and they seriously dont have a clue. One of my friends wanted a job there, and he got turned down (despite studying Computer Science at uni) because they told him we arn't interested in that, what sales experience do you have? Turns out they're now sending their staff on training courses to swat up on the techy stuff.....

Oh man, those idiots in PC world are so frustrating, they really haven't a clue. They should all be shot.

The fools in my local computer repair shop even annoy my housemate who knows literally nothing about computers!
January 15, 2007 7:43:20 PM

I always thought what would be a really funny idea for a TV series would be each week to pick a subject (for example, computers :) ), and get an expert to go into the shop and grill the assistants. It would be so funny to see the look on their faces...

Assistant: "Yes Sir, it's got a Core 2 Duo processor, it's dual core for twice the speed!"
Expert: "Reeealy? What FSB speed does it use? Does it support VT technology? How much L1 cache does it have?"

On the other hand, maybe it would be a funny thing to do for Youtube or something instead :p 
January 15, 2007 7:44:53 PM

2 words:
Technical Support. :roll:

As some of them can't help you without the guidline sheet, they'd be better candidates for telemarking.
January 15, 2007 7:45:19 PM

Tell me about it. Freaking Futureshop employee's they all might as well be. I love my local shop but the arguments and stupid stuff they say; add all this up together with the undeserved confidence that THEY work at a computer shop makes talking to them so frustrating. I hate that. :evil: 

I've been offered a job there just cause of my upkeep of the community and arguments with these people but that just wouldn't pay the bills. It is like these people have no idea about what's going on in the community out there.

EDIT: I don't know if the US has Futureshop but it's just the exact same as Best Buy. I'm pretty sure they're owned by the same company. We actually started getting Best Buy's out here in Canada and they're identical.
January 15, 2007 7:50:05 PM

Are you sure that was a computer store and not a Walmart or something you went into ?
January 15, 2007 8:08:15 PM

Quote:
Why are local computer stores full of idiot employees!?!

Because idiots need to work too.
January 15, 2007 8:11:48 PM

Well, see the bright side. If they really wanted to get above average employees they'd have to pay them above average salaries and your X6800 would cost $200 more...

And yes, I agree with the comment about FutureShop. I've had situations where 4 people needed to be involved just to physically find an item from their flyer. You'd expect them to know at least about the items on the flyer, since they're supposed to be on sale and customers are more likely to look for them. Oh, and once they found it they had no clue if it's USB 1.1. or 2.0 or if it supports xD, etc.
January 15, 2007 8:12:57 PM

1 place i know in the uk has a bozeyed dude, a dude with black teeth, and a dude with a lisp, and those are the ones they show you and let serve you!
a c 487 à CPUs
January 15, 2007 8:16:50 PM

Quote:

True. But those people aren't trained to know everything. Just the basics. Enough to convince the average consumer to buy things. I wouldn't bother asking them any advance techincal questions.
January 15, 2007 8:36:17 PM

What does it matter. Surely its easier and cheaper to buy off of the net?
January 15, 2007 8:52:36 PM

Quote:
Because most of the customers are idiots. They can easily understand each other.
January 15, 2007 9:21:02 PM

in all honesty if you really think about it like 5% of the entire population actually understand the differences with core duo and core 2 duo processors. my friend who shall remain anonymous is a comp sci major and thinks hes amazing with computers. he asked me how he should go about building a new computer. i started sending him links but before i could even get the second link off he called me an idiot for tryin to make him buy a core 2 duo processor with 2 ghz because afterall "dude 3 is standard nowadays." he also couldnt believe that his 5 yr old dell didnt use modern standards and how i couldnt find a motherboard that had the interfaces for his old hard drives and cd drives. "dude im not about to give up 80 gigs." suffice to say we no longer talk much. its people like this that work in those stores.
January 15, 2007 9:21:14 PM

I laughed my ass off when I saw the title of this thread.

Most of the local computers stores in my town (I.E., PC Club) are pretty good... the guys there keep up w/ the latest news. But big box stores like CompUSA still suck donkey balls.
January 15, 2007 9:22:07 PM

Quote:

And they couldn't qualify for a job flipping burgers at McDonald's, too technical for them.
January 15, 2007 9:22:35 PM

Take a one month general PC course and all of a sudden your working in a place filled with computer parts and wondering to yourself if the last customer was asking for a motherboard that allowed the time to be 'overclocked'.
January 15, 2007 9:28:28 PM

Quote:

Because they are not all in this forum...
January 15, 2007 9:29:44 PM

:lol:  verndewd

I did that and had my girl standing beside me. Amazingly, she was impressed. 8O

"GPU, GTO, overclock, 600watts, ect, 79 hundred KO, x19 hundred"
*cough*
January 15, 2007 9:33:23 PM

I used to go to a friendly local geek owned, geek run computer attic for a whole load of bits and bobs. I even let them build a rig for me from my selection of parts. About 6 months ago I lost all faith in them when they tried to sell me a shiny gold plated Q-Tec 450 quiet PSU. Apparently it is an amazing piece of kit (I said KIT) but when I asked them about stability under load they said they tested every one with a voltmeter!

Oh well back to the boards I guess.

Q
January 15, 2007 9:37:29 PM

Score :!:

Got a whole lotta PC loving that night.
Anonymous
January 15, 2007 9:39:33 PM

Quote:

Let me put it this way... People are in the business to make money. And computers are such a HOT market the last few years and getting even HOTTER. A lot of the workers/owners of these stores don't have much more then BASIC knowledge of computers (which we have seen is quite obvious).

For example if you go to a gas station to pump and start asking one of the employees there about Octane ratings or performance or do fuel additives work?

Maybe even a few hard questions like Why were alkyl lead compounds removed? or What is the effect of changing the air-fuel ratio?

This all has to do with the gasoline in your car and how effective your car operates. Do you think any of the workers could answers all or even one of these questions. I doubt it.

Yet... they will sell you the gas day after day after day. These clueless people who jumped into the fast moving computer industry seem to be basically in the same boat.

This is just my view point on all the idiot and ignorant workers in not just the computer industry but any industry that people try to make a quick buck or even stay on and ride the BIG WAVE of a growing industry without knowing anything about it or learning about it.

They just buy and sell what seems to be popular or what the customer asks them to order for them.
January 15, 2007 9:42:13 PM

'GTO KO at 24 amps Baby.'

*Zap!*
January 15, 2007 9:43:19 PM

Quote:

And they couldn't qualify for a job flipping burgers at McDonald's, too technical for them.

i know at my local "breast buy" theres 1 kid who knows his stuff, 8O :D  :lol:  as too Macdonald's ,my local McMoron employes cant even get " add big mack" sauce right

Your best bet is on line
January 15, 2007 9:50:37 PM

And blow my memory stick.

With everything becoming plug-n-play easy, I think solidarity is long gone. Not to mention appealing cool car-like names for videocards or glorified powerfull looking tags like QX67hundred.
January 15, 2007 9:55:00 PM

Well it's pretty simple, when you want prices in certain circumtances, you go to your local departement stores. No need to name them. When you want knowledge, you do like I do and go to your privately owned small shop.
January 15, 2007 9:57:19 PM

Ok I will open myself up here but "Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

There are plenty of times in our lives that we will be the idiots.

Ever walk a mile in another man's shoes?

I still think Tom's needs to add a section to the forumz......the "I wanna bitch" section.
January 15, 2007 9:58:26 PM

Quote:
so she helped you dump your cache?

Oh man,
She bumped my voltage and overclocked my CPU.
January 15, 2007 10:01:44 PM

:lol: 

I wished she'd spin my hard drive like that more often. It needs to be defraged more often than once a week.
January 15, 2007 10:05:07 PM

Quote:
Well, see the bright side. If they really wanted to get above average employees they'd have to pay them above average salaries and your X6800 would cost $200 more...

Uhh it already does cost way more if you're stupid enough to shop at compusa or bestbuy instead of buying it from the internet.

MMmmm I must buy that 6800GT video card for $608.99 from compusa.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=SE...
January 15, 2007 10:05:28 PM

Quote:
maybe your acess time is too short;maybe you should use an older drive with longer latency.

That could be... Her PCI port is quite wide.
January 15, 2007 10:07:28 PM

Quote:

i know at my local "breast buy" theres 1 kid who knows his stuff, 8O :D  :lol:  as too Macdonald's ,my local McMoron employes cant even get " add big mack" sauce right

Your best bet is on line

You're lucky. At the one in Reno, I've seen emplyees that can't tell the difference between an IDE an a SATA hard drive. Sent an ex-girlfirend up there with specific instructions, written out, as to which SATA hard drive I wanted. She returned with and IDE that the salesman talked her into because it was bigger and on sale at a special price. I had to go back to exchange it and the salesman insisted it was the best one for my computer. Finally got a manager and got my money back, then ordered from Newegg.
January 15, 2007 10:08:16 PM

Quote:

LOL. thats a good one
January 15, 2007 10:12:17 PM

Quote:
ahhh the super high bandwidth mamacita,gotcha yeah you may need to go sli there.

For sure. More power needed here.
What do you perfer, a tight 128bit wide memory interface, or do you a hoochy 256?
January 15, 2007 10:13:29 PM

i went looking for some thermalpaste at a few local computershops
here in good ole shawnee america(not).

no one had any. we even have a geeksquad shop here.

so i went to radioshack and got the white stuff.
i needed it now and couldnt wait to order or go to okc. to get it.
January 15, 2007 10:13:32 PM

Fry's staff seem (marginally) better than anyone else. They usually have a better range of stock too. I just hate the long time to checkout that they usually have.
January 15, 2007 10:15:08 PM

Quote:
ahhh the super high bandwidth mamacita,gotcha yeah you may need to go sli there.

For sure. More power needed here.
What do you perfer, a tight 128bit wide memory interface, or do you a hoochy 256?

64 bit wide interface with expansion room :wink:

Ah,
The upgradable type. :wink: Gotcha.
January 15, 2007 10:16:32 PM

ive heard alot about fry,s but have never been to one.

oklahoma doesnt have much.

of anything.

though it is going to get to around 5 degreesF tonight 8O
January 15, 2007 10:17:59 PM

Quote:

jajajajaja! thats funny, but is more funny when you actually heard this people telling you NO SIR YOU ARE WRONG, SORRY BYE :twisted:
January 15, 2007 10:19:10 PM

If they wanted experienced people... ask tech geeks like us! Some of us would work there cause its money, its so easy, and they'd pay you! Come to think of it, I'll look around for a job at one of the local PC stores in my area... i'm a 16-yo kid but I know more then most of them...

The only place I found a good store was a second-hand legacy-era PC store... selling systems 1-4 years old, old replacement parts, etc. They had bins of IDE cables, stacks of powersupplies, etc. The smart thing I saw them do was actually test a few hard drives... thats about the smartest I have seen em.

Anyways... I can't wait till they all go out of business. Most people care more about the $300 dell that is made of shit parts. They don't realize they could get five-times better proformance for twice as much.
January 15, 2007 10:24:04 PM

Quote:

of anything.

Yeah. Here in Phoenix its dropped to 55 this evening. Brrr.. better get my thick t-shirts out.
January 15, 2007 10:26:01 PM

i wish people could buy commonsense.

or at least learn it.
January 15, 2007 10:28:06 PM

Quote:

jajajajaja! thats funny, but is more funny when you actually heard this people telling you NO SIR YOU ARE WRONG, SORRY BYE :twisted:

thats when you call a manager and give the stupid bastards links to the proof and tel them they dont deserve to be in buisness.

I know, I sometimes think that I should be the one working in TigerDirect. I would make them rich! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
January 15, 2007 10:29:36 PM

That is because im so dang good at it. :wink:
January 15, 2007 10:31:29 PM

Quote:

of anything.

Yeah. Here in Phoenix its dropped to 55 this evening. Brrr.. better get my thick t-shirts out.

thats cold for az.
i hear that southern california is cold to.
hell its cold every where.

here in okla. we have had an ice storm for the last couple of days.
and we usually get snow and some ice but this one is kinda big
and long lasting.

what do most of the people do?
drive fast anyway.

they think (i have a 4x4 s.u.v.) so i can drive good/fast on the ice.

hell they are probably the same people that the op is talking about. :lol: 
January 15, 2007 10:34:26 PM

Quote:

or at least learn it.

an inherent problem for individual sense perception..nothing is truly common in senses ,its only agreed upon in the face of understanding and irrefutable proof.

and in tech ,understanding is limited to those who truly enjoy the persuit,so proof has no bearing on the ones who do not persue it.

:lol:  true

but you cant fix stupid. :lol: 
January 15, 2007 10:34:28 PM

Haha! No need to do that! Im going to college! no way im going to some cheap computer store where they contract dumb people ;) 
I might be going to newegg after college XD!
January 15, 2007 10:38:45 PM

Quote:

or at least learn it.

an inherent problem for individual sense perception..nothing is truly common in senses ,its only agreed upon in the face of understanding and irrefutable proof.

and in tech ,understanding is limited to those who truly enjoy the persuit,so proof has no bearing on the ones who do not persue it.

:lol:  true

but you cant fix stupid. :lol: 

Agreed, you cant fix stupidity ;) 

but still you can try hahahahaha
January 15, 2007 10:43:26 PM

Quote:

That sounds warm. I've been living with below 0 degrees F temps for the past few days. Can't wait for spring.
!