Block AD Group Policy

I wonder if there is a way to block the AD group policy on
the client so that the client registry settings won't be
constantly modified.

Thank you for your help!

One sollution is to associate an 'Admin' policy, that opens up any restrictions that normal 'user' policies enforce, to the user account you use or the Machine in question??

Another more crude sollution is to create a local user group, modify the permissions to '%SystemRoot%\System32\GroupPolicy\' directory to 'Deny' access for this user group. Add any user accounts to this group that you don't want policies to apply to.

PS. There is probably a much better sollution but hey its a start...

Wayne-

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. You would need to filter
the client on the GP's security poliy (deny apply rights) to prevent it from
applying GP settings.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I wonder if there is a way to block the AD group policy on
> the client so that the client registry settings won't be
> constantly modified.
>
> Thank you for your help!

"Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<1401101c44442$17c73cc0$a101280a@phx.gbl>...
> I wonder if there is a way to block the AD group policy on
> the client so that the client registry settings won't be
> constantly modified.

With Group Policy, all changes to the client registry are transitive,
in memory only. When the user logs off and/or shuts down, the client
registry reverts back to its original form.

You can configure an OU to Block Policy Inheritance by using the
check box on the container's Group Policy properties tab. This will
block Group Policy settings from GPOs linked to the OU's parents.

You also could set up User Group Policy Loopback Processing Mode
which can be set up to replace the user settings usually given
to the user with the user settings defined in the computer's GPOs.

--
Matt Hickman
The simple life is all right for a few days vacation. But

> > I wonder if there is a way to block the AD group policy on
> > the client so that the client registry settings won't be
> > constantly modified.
>
> With Group Policy, all changes to the client registry are transitive,
> in memory only.

This is not the case. Different extensions apply/remove their settings
however they see fit - registry or otherwise. The ADM Templates extension
sets registry settings in the registry - nothing unique about the settings.

> When the user logs off and/or shuts down, the client
> registry reverts back to its original form.

It may appear this way, but no Group Policy is processed at logoff or
shutdown. It's during a policy refresh that changes are made by various
extensions, including ADM Templates removal of its previously set policies.

> You can configure an OU to Block Policy Inheritance by using the
> check box on the container's Group Policy properties tab. This will
> block Group Policy settings from GPOs linked to the OU's parents.

Yes, but Local GPO cannot be set up to block network policy.

> You also could set up User Group Policy Loopback Processing Mode
> which can be set up to replace the user settings usually given
> to the user with the user settings defined in the computer's GPOs.

I'm not sure this would achieve the desired results.

To selectively stop Group Policy client-side processing, deregister the
appropriate client side extension (CSE) in the following location (you might
want to back it up first ;-):

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions

Regards,

Eric Voskuil