Where do I start???

I have a TV that is 20 years old and the tuner (or filter) is finally
going out on it. It is a Mitsubishi rear projection that I had great
luck with. Unfortunately, the picture keeps shutting off and it looks
like there are no parts for the TV anymore, I need to start looking
for a new TV. To round out my equipment, I have Dishnetwork, a DVD
player (non-progressive scan) and a Marantz SR870 (from 1996)
receiver.

I went over to Fry's electronics and looked at several TVs and one the
sales person mentioned was a Mitsubishi WS-55613. It looked great,
but is it a good TV? I know after I get the TV, I will need to
upgrade the DVD to a progressive scan model to get a better picture
and I will probably break down and purchase a new receiver (one that
handles component video). Again, the salesperson suggested an Onkyo
TX-SR801.

I just don't know where to begin to find out if the equipment talked
about is really worth the price, or just the salesman hyping it up?
Where does one start?

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
12 answers Last reply
More about where start

    > I just don't know where to begin to find out if the equipment talked
    > about is really worth the price, or just the salesman hyping it up?
    > Where does one start?
    >
    > Can anyone give me any suggestions?

    What I did was looked at several TVs at my local stores, played with
    the remotes and settings, tried to get similar brightness/contrast
    levels when comparing them next to each other so I could determine
    which I thought had the best picture. After I jotted down the model
    numbers, I went on sites such as eopinions.com to see what others said
    about those particular models.

    After I whittled it down to a couple of models, I went back and took
    another look, played a while longer with them. Noted any details
    which might put one model above another, such as number of inputs,
    viewing angle, how easy the TV is to move around, remote control
    features, etc. Little things.

    Finally got it down to one model, and searched the internet for the
    best price. Save boatloads over my local stores.

    On 2 May 2004 21:42:46 -0700, chip33az@netscape.net (Chip) wrote:

    >I have a TV that is 20 years old and the tuner (or filter) is finally
    >going out on it. It is a Mitsubishi rear projection that I had great

    You need just a tuner??
    Then I suggest getting just a (H)DTV receiver component for now.
    Virtually all of (H)DTV receivers can output a down converted NTSC
    S-video signal.

    Look around.. hunt for it.. wait for a sale..
    Ask about (H)DTV tuners each time you're in a store.

    Last year, I picked up a Zenith HDV-420 for $198 !!!

    >luck with. Unfortunately, the picture keeps shutting off and it looks
    >like there are no parts for the TV anymore, I need to start looking
    >for a new TV. To round out my equipment, I have Dishnetwork, a DVD
    >player (non-progressive scan) and a Marantz SR870 (from 1996)
    >receiver.
    >
    >I went over to Fry's electronics and looked at several TVs and one the
    >sales person mentioned was a Mitsubishi WS-55613. It looked great,
    >but is it a good TV? I know after I get the TV, I will need to
    >upgrade the DVD to a progressive scan model to get a better picture
    >and I will probably break down and purchase a new receiver (one that
    >handles component video). Again, the salesperson suggested an Onkyo
    >TX-SR801.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Overpriced... 900 to 1K$.. save your money !!!!

    Most people will find that a Onkyo TX-SR501 (250 to 300$) will do
    the job. The 501 has enough built in video switching capability to
    satisfy most users.

    >I just don't know where to begin to find out if the equipment talked
    >about is really worth the price, or just the salesman hyping it up?
    >Where does one start?
    >
    >Can anyone give me any suggestions?

    see above... start on the low end.. remove the immediate need..
    then plan your upgrades and wait for the bargains.

    Chip,

    You had good luck with your last Mitsubishi so it sounds like you have
    brand loyalty to Mitsubishi. I'm happy to tell you they still make
    great rear-projection HDTVs and they are still a leader in
    rear-projection technology (along with Pioneer and Hitachi), but not
    every set they produce is quality compared to what's available these
    days.

    So what's changed in the last twenty years and how does WS-55613
    compare? Well the model you're looking at is part of the Mitsubishi
    GoldPlus series. To help classify the quality of their product
    offering, today Mitsubishi classifies their HDTVs in one of five
    categories: Gold, GoldPlus, Platinum, Diamond and Alpha. The
    differences in these classes is pretty large, think of the Gold series
    as a striped down Toyota Corolla and the Alpha series as a high end
    Lexus. The picture quality (based on magnification/lens technology) is
    what you should be concerned with and their is a visible difference
    between the Gold, GoldPlus and then Plantinum, Diamond and Alpha
    lines. I would recommend going with Mitsubishi's Platinum or Diamond
    series and nothing less (especially if you intend to keep the TV for
    twenty years or so :).

    If Fry's doesn't carry the higher-end lines (I doubt they do) go to a
    more speciality store (you can find a retailer at Mitsubishi's
    website).

    Other really strong brands are: Pioneer (Elite series) and my
    favorite, Hitachi (S series and W series) to a lesser degree Sony is a
    safe (albeit over priced) choice.

    Good places to shop depend on your area. Sears carries Hitachi,
    Tweater carries Mitsubishi and Pioneer. Conns also has a good
    selection (Hitachi and Mitsubishi) and they have reasonably good
    service. Both retailers mentioned offer price matching.

    Best of luck.

    -Jeremy
    New to HDTV, check out my HDTV Buyers FAQ
    http://hdtv.0catch.com

    chip33az@netscape.net (Chip) wrote in message news:<fac293f3.0405022042.59402e58@posting.google.com>...
    > I have a TV that is 20 years old and the tuner (or filter) is finally
    > going out on it. It is a Mitsubishi rear projection that I had great
    > luck with. Unfortunately, the picture keeps shutting off and it looks
    > like there are no parts for the TV anymore, I need to start looking
    > for a new TV. To round out my equipment, I have Dishnetwork, a DVD
    > player (non-progressive scan) and a Marantz SR870 (from 1996)
    > receiver.
    >
    > I went over to Fry's electronics and looked at several TVs and one the
    > sales person mentioned was a Mitsubishi WS-55613. It looked great,
    > but is it a good TV? I know after I get the TV, I will need to
    > upgrade the DVD to a progressive scan model to get a better picture
    > and I will probably break down and purchase a new receiver (one that
    > handles component video). Again, the salesperson suggested an Onkyo
    > TX-SR801.
    >
    > I just don't know where to begin to find out if the equipment talked
    > about is really worth the price, or just the salesman hyping it up?
    > Where does one start?
    >
    > Can anyone give me any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    I don't think I could just get an HDTV receiver component to replace
    what is failing in my TV. I lose the picture itself using any inputs
    (TV, VCR, DVD, etc). What does the displaying of the actual picture
    is not working.

    Thanks for the good advice though.

    Tim Keating <NotForJunkEmail@directinternet11.com1> wrote in message news:<2omc909buo6rmuch8s3o6g35t6les1b833@4ax.com>...
    > On 2 May 2004 21:42:46 -0700, chip33az@netscape.net (Chip) wrote:
    >
    > >I have a TV that is 20 years old and the tuner (or filter) is finally
    > >going out on it. It is a Mitsubishi rear projection that I had great
    >
    > You need just a tuner??
    > Then I suggest getting just a (H)DTV receiver component for now.
    > Virtually all of (H)DTV receivers can output a down converted NTSC
    > S-video signal.
    >
    > Look around.. hunt for it.. wait for a sale..
    > Ask about (H)DTV tuners each time you're in a store.
    >
    > Last year, I picked up a Zenith HDV-420 for $198 !!!
    >
    > >luck with. Unfortunately, the picture keeps shutting off and it looks
    > >like there are no parts for the TV anymore, I need to start looking
    > >for a new TV. To round out my equipment, I have Dishnetwork, a DVD
    > >player (non-progressive scan) and a Marantz SR870 (from 1996)
    > >receiver.
    > >
    > >I went over to Fry's electronics and looked at several TVs and one the
    > >sales person mentioned was a Mitsubishi WS-55613. It looked great,
    > >but is it a good TV? I know after I get the TV, I will need to
    > >upgrade the DVD to a progressive scan model to get a better picture
    > >and I will probably break down and purchase a new receiver (one that
    > >handles component video). Again, the salesperson suggested an Onkyo
    > >TX-SR801.
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Overpriced... 900 to 1K$.. save your money !!!!
    >
    > Most people will find that a Onkyo TX-SR501 (250 to 300$) will do
    > the job. The 501 has enough built in video switching capability to
    > satisfy most users.
    >

    > >I just don't know where to begin to find out if the equipment talked
    > >about is really worth the price, or just the salesman hyping it up?
    > >Where does one start?
    > >
    > >Can anyone give me any suggestions?
    >
    > see above... start on the low end.. remove the immediate need..
    > then plan your upgrades and wait for the bargains.

    Thanks for the information.

    Yes, I was leaning towards Mitsubishi since the first TV had such a
    good track life. I realize that nothing is built like they used to
    be, but am hoping that it is still well built.

    I haven't heard of any of the stores you mentioned, but Ultimate
    Electronics offer the whole Mitsubishi line as well as some of the
    others you mentioned.

    I would be too nervous buying this over the Internet even with a price
    discount. Buying small things don't bother me, but something like
    this does.

    Again, thanks for the information.

    jeremy@pdq.net (JDeats) wrote in message news:<b0738dc6.0405031557.58c2c142@posting.google.com>...
    > Chip,
    >
    > You had good luck with your last Mitsubishi so it sounds like you have
    > brand loyalty to Mitsubishi. I'm happy to tell you they still make
    > great rear-projection HDTVs and they are still a leader in
    > rear-projection technology (along with Pioneer and Hitachi), but not
    > every set they produce is quality compared to what's available these
    > days.
    >
    > So what's changed in the last twenty years and how does WS-55613
    > compare? Well the model you're looking at is part of the Mitsubishi
    > GoldPlus series. To help classify the quality of their product
    > offering, today Mitsubishi classifies their HDTVs in one of five
    > categories: Gold, GoldPlus, Platinum, Diamond and Alpha. The
    > differences in these classes is pretty large, think of the Gold series
    > as a striped down Toyota Corolla and the Alpha series as a high end
    > Lexus. The picture quality (based on magnification/lens technology) is
    > what you should be concerned with and their is a visible difference
    > between the Gold, GoldPlus and then Plantinum, Diamond and Alpha
    > lines. I would recommend going with Mitsubishi's Platinum or Diamond
    > series and nothing less (especially if you intend to keep the TV for
    > twenty years or so :).
    >
    > If Fry's doesn't carry the higher-end lines (I doubt they do) go to a
    > more speciality store (you can find a retailer at Mitsubishi's
    > website).
    >
    > Other really strong brands are: Pioneer (Elite series) and my
    > favorite, Hitachi (S series and W series) to a lesser degree Sony is a
    > safe (albeit over priced) choice.
    >
    > Good places to shop depend on your area. Sears carries Hitachi,
    > Tweater carries Mitsubishi and Pioneer. Conns also has a good
    > selection (Hitachi and Mitsubishi) and they have reasonably good
    > service. Both retailers mentioned offer price matching.
    >
    > Best of luck.
    >
    > -Jeremy
    > New to HDTV, check out my HDTV Buyers FAQ
    > http://hdtv.0catch.com

    Here are a few other things:

    - I recommend a 16:9 (widescreen set), lots of reasons why. Namely
    because HD content is always widescreen and will fill-out the set.
    If you enjoy movies at all, here's a good article that's covers the
    topic of aspect ratios pretty well:
    www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html

    - Other makers over auto focus feature, you've probably gotten acustom
    to manually focusing your set. I don't know what you've old set had,
    but current Mitsubishi's offer a lot of percision (90-point
    convergence tweaking), auto convergence/focus saves you soem time by
    getting you in ballbark. I don't know why Mitsubishi doesn't offer
    this.

    - Some manufactuers (namely: Sony, LG and Hitachi) include 1080i
    upconverters in some of their models, this makes normal non-HD
    programming look much better than it otherwise would.

    - There's been quite a few advancements in TV technology, aside from
    CRT rear-projection sets (all Mitsubishi's rear-projection sets are
    CRT) we now have DLP technology which has some benefits in that it
    will not wear out and it will never have burn-in on the screen. Look
    at Samsung and Panasonic sets if you're interested in DLP they have
    the best offering for this technology right now. You also have LCD
    technology, LCOS, and Plasma (I'd stay away from the last two). In the
    right conditions and the right technology inside, Rear-projection is
    still considered to produce the best picture quality available, but a
    lot of things haven't changed about this technology: the sets are
    still bulky and heavy, almost all of them are CRT based and still burn
    phospher to produce an image (so they are highly subject to burn-in
    and have about 15-20 year life span), they still have a limited
    viewing angle and will dim when you get outside of their viewing
    angle.

    Hope this was helpful.
    -Jeremy

    "JDeats" <jeremy@pdq.net> wrote in message
    > - Some manufactuers (namely: Sony, LG and Hitachi) include 1080i
    > upconverters in some of their models, this makes normal non-HD
    > programming look much better than it otherwise would.

    This is not always true. Many sets look best displaying analog as 480i
    (some don't allow this anymore, however) and some look best when it is
    upconverted. It depends on too many variables to make blanket statements
    like this sensible. Signal quality, analoge tuner and IF quality, analog
    filtering, and any number of methods and levels of quality in digital
    processing make the results hard to quantify. The best advice is to not
    assume anything and view the set on the kind of signal that you will be
    watching, then experiment with various methods of displaying the analog if
    possible.

    The notion that upconversion makes lower resolution images better is
    pervasive, but quite wrong. You can't make gold from lead, even with good
    alchemy. You can make scan lines less noticeable and filter some garbage in
    the process, but you are just as likely to introduce artifacts that are less
    than pleasing. Again, experiment.

    > Rear-projection is still considered to produce the best picture quality
    available, but

    Many would dissagree. IMO, CRT based RPTV is certainly the best value, and
    at any price point usually the best pix, but "best picture qualtiy" means
    different things to different people. Again, the best advice is to view and
    judge for yourself.

    > a lot of things haven't changed about this technology: the sets are
    > still bulky and heavy, almost all of them are CRT based and still burn
    > phospher to produce an image (so they are highly subject to burn-in
    > and have about 15-20 year life span), they still have a limited
    > viewing angle and will dim when you get outside of their viewing
    > angle.

    15-20 years is very optimistic. 10-12 years for the better products is more
    likely. Some less, some more, but any set this old will not look anything
    like new. Viewing angles are rarely a problem and there is not much useful
    difference between any of the RPTV technologies in this area. Again, this
    matter depends on individual needs and you should view in the context of the
    intended installation, but if viewing angles are a big deal, stay away from
    any RPTV and get a PDP or direct view CRT.

    Mostly, beware of any sweeping statements and assumptions, question
    everything and insist on real answers that you can SEE, and do lots of
    viewing and decide for yourself.

    Leonard

    "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillonospam@devoynet.com> wrote in message news:<ij4mc.4481$nN6.1089@lakeread06>...
    > "JDeats" <jeremy@pdq.net> wrote in message
    > > Rear-projection is still considered to produce the best picture quality
    > available, but
    >
    > Many would dissagree. IMO, CRT based RPTV is certainly the best value, and
    > at any price point usually the best pix, but "best picture qualtiy" means
    > different things to different people. Again, the best advice is to view and
    > judge for yourself.

    Well, I think you're right that many would disagree, but I would say
    many are wrong and then I would offer this: There are plenty of
    statements that can be made about all technologies that are fact. LCDs
    have weak blacks (and weak dark levels in general), DLP's have
    contrast problems (and some people seem to notice the rainbow effect).
    Plasma's suffer the same issues as LCD.

    The only negatives about CRT-rear projection technology are: 1. The
    sets have be routinely focused and 2. The view angle isn't that good.

    Sure each vendor applies their unique touch to the technology, but the
    mentioned limitions are limitations of the core technology that powers
    these devices. What is acuate color and what isn't is not subjective,
    it can be proven. Picture quality is more subjective, but I consider
    it a fact that higher resolution offers the capability to produce a
    better quality picture. There's no need to get into the 1080i vs 720p
    discussion (again).

    I agree that people should buy what's best for them, but what their
    eyes show them on a show room floor isn't always telling. And I think
    there are enoguh facts about the various HDTV technologies to make the
    statement that CRT based sets produce the best quality picture.

    -Jeremy

    This is the first I have heard about the TV sets needing to be
    refocused. I had my last one for 20 years and it was only repaired
    once. I never did anything other than that and the picture looked
    fine.

    Are they easy to focus? Or should I have the company come out and do
    it?

    I'm not too concerned about the view angle since we watch the TV
    straight on.

    Thanks for all of the information. I think this weekend I'll head
    over to an electronics store and look at some different makes/models.

    jeremy@pdq.net (JDeats) wrote in message news:<b0738dc6.0405051720.36ea6f69@posting.google.com>...
    > "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillonospam@devoynet.com> wrote in message news:<ij4mc.4481$nN6.1089@lakeread06>...
    > > "JDeats" <jeremy@pdq.net> wrote in message
    > > > Rear-projection is still considered to produce the best picture quality
    > > available, but
    > >
    > > Many would dissagree. IMO, CRT based RPTV is certainly the best value, and
    > > at any price point usually the best pix, but "best picture qualtiy" means
    > > different things to different people. Again, the best advice is to view and
    > > judge for yourself.
    > >

    > Well, I think you're right that many would disagree, but I would say
    > many are wrong and then I would offer this: There are plenty of
    > statements that can be made about all technologies that are fact. LCDs
    > have weak blacks (and weak dark levels in general), DLP's have
    > contrast problems (and some people seem to notice the rainbow effect).
    > Plasma's suffer the same issues as LCD.
    >
    > The only negatives about CRT-rear projection technology are: 1. The
    > sets have be routinely focused and 2. The view angle isn't that good.
    >
    > Sure each vendor applies their unique touch to the technology, but the
    > mentioned limitions are limitations of the core technology that powers
    > these devices. What is acuate color and what isn't is not subjective,
    > it can be proven. Picture quality is more subjective, but I consider
    > it a fact that higher resolution offers the capability to produce a
    > better quality picture. There's no need to get into the 1080i vs 720p
    > discussion (again).
    >
    > I agree that people should buy what's best for them, but what their
    > eyes show them on a show room floor isn't always telling. And I think
    > there are enoguh facts about the various HDTV technologies to make the
    > statement that CRT based sets produce the best quality picture.
    >
    > -Jeremy

    He's referring to convergence.

    "Chip" <chip33az@netscape.net> wrote in message

    > This is the first I have heard about the TV sets needing to be
    > refocused.

    Convergence/Focus is something has has to be adjusted regularly on all
    CRT based rear-projection sets. It isn't difficult to do (the owners
    manual will explain the process quite well), it's just a little time
    consuming. Generally speaking, the more points of convergence a set
    has the more acurate it can be focused. For example almost all
    Mitsubishi's offer 90-point convergence tweaking outside the service
    menu (this means you'll have 90 points to test and correct if you
    discover color problems), other brands generally offer less (e.g. JVC
    and RCA typically offer only 9-point convergence outside their service
    menu).

    Some manufactuers (Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba, to name a few) offer auto
    focus on some of their models which do an alright job, but they all
    require manual fine tuning if you want the absolute best quality
    picture the set is capable of.

    I talk about convergence tweaking a bit in my buyers faq:
    http://hdtv.0catch.com

    -Jeremy

    > Convergence/Focus is something has has to be adjusted regularly on all
    > CRT based rear-projection sets. It isn't difficult to do (the owners
    > manual will explain the process quite well), it's just a little time
    > consuming. Generally speaking, the more points of convergence a set
    > has the more acurate it can be focused. For example almost all
    > Mitsubishi's offer 90-point convergence tweaking outside the service
    > menu (this means you'll have 90 points to test and correct if you
    > discover color problems), other brands generally offer less (e.g. JVC
    > and RCA typically offer only 9-point convergence outside their service
    > menu).
    >
    > Some manufactuers (Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba, to name a few) offer auto
    > focus on some of their models which do an alright job, but they all
    > require manual fine tuning if you want the absolute best quality
    > picture the set is capable of.
    >
    > I talk about convergence tweaking a bit in my buyers faq:
    > http://hdtv.0catch.com

    Just a correction

    Focus and convergence are two separate issues.

    Focus is a professional adjustment to make sure that painted electron beam
    dot each CRT is as tight and symmetrical as possible.
    Convergence is aligning those 3 dots from each tube so their optical outputs
    land precisely on top of each other.

    Very few sets offer user adjustment of focus.

HDTV TV Mitsubishi Home Theatre Product