Auto Update

Is there a way to create a policy in a Server 2000/
Workstation XP environment to set up the Auto-Update
feature on each workstation?

Thanks,
Vlaad

download the wuau.adm template and import it into a GPO.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"Vlaad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to create a policy in a Server 2000/
> Workstation XP environment to set up the Auto-Update
> feature on each workstation?
>
> Thanks,
> Vlaad

I did that, and set the policies to connect to my SUS, however the
policies aren't being applied to the workstations entirely.

Only the User settings are, all the computer settings (which include the
server address, etc.) aren't pushing down.

I even tried moving the computer object into the same container as the
user object but it still doesn't seem to get to the workstation.

Derek Melber [MVP] wrote:

> download the wuau.adm template and import it into a GPO.

I think you hit it on the head... the computer object MUST reside in the OU
where the GPO is linked (or a child OU to that OU). Make sure that this is
the case in every instance.

GPOs apply to users OR computers. The target object must be in the path of
hte GPO to receive it.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"Dvord Direwood" <dvord@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I did that, and set the policies to connect to my SUS, however the
> policies aren't being applied to the workstations entirely.
>
> Only the User settings are, all the computer settings (which include the
> server address, etc.) aren't pushing down.
>
> I even tried moving the computer object into the same container as the
> user object but it still doesn't seem to get to the workstation.
>
> Derek Melber [MVP] wrote:
>
> > download the wuau.adm template and import it into a GPO.

This is where I don't understand why it doesn't work. The Computer and
User object are in the same container as the GPO applies to, however
gpresult shows that the policy isn't applied to the computer.

Derek Melber [MVP] wrote:

> I think you hit it on the head... the computer object MUST reside in the OU
> where the GPO is linked (or a child OU to that OU). Make sure that this is
> the case in every instance.
>
> GPOs apply to users OR computers. The target object must be in the path of
> hte GPO to receive it.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

That would almost sound like a DNS issue or that you're
not giving the computer enough time to refresh the
policy. If it's a 2k machine, run secedit /refreshpolicy
machine_policy or an XP machine run gpupdate. I'm not
sure on how often the computer policies refresh
automatically... is it just at start up?

Ken

Well it's had about 4 days to get down to the workstations. I have one
XP machine for testing which I've done the gpupdate on several times. I
can see that the policy update goes through, but the policy I created
for the container isn't getting applied.

Ken wrote:

> That would almost sound like a DNS issue or that you're
> not giving the computer enough time to refresh the
> policy. If it's a 2k machine, run secedit /refreshpolicy
> machine_policy or an XP machine run gpupdate. I'm not
> sure on how often the computer policies refresh
> automatically... is it just at start up?
>
> Ken

You also need to reboot, if you haven't done that already.

> Well it's had about 4 days to get down to the workstations. I have one
> XP machine for testing which I've done the gpupdate on several times. I
> can see that the policy update goes through, but the policy I created
> for the container isn't getting applied.
>
> Ken wrote:
>
> > That would almost sound like a DNS issue or that you're
> > not giving the computer enough time to refresh the
> > policy. If it's a 2k machine, run secedit /refreshpolicy
> > machine_policy or an XP machine run gpupdate. I'm not
> > sure on how often the computer policies refresh
> > automatically... is it just at start up?
> >
> > Ken

A reboot typically wont solve it, but I have seen stranger things. If it
solves it, let us know. Otherwise, we will have to dive into the GPO
settings.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"Mike Herchel" <michael.herchel[@]wavecrestlabs.com> wrote in message
> You also need to reboot, if you haven't done that already.
>

> "Dvord Direwood" <dvord@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Well it's had about 4 days to get down to the workstations. I have one
> > XP machine for testing which I've done the gpupdate on several times. I
> > can see that the policy update goes through, but the policy I created
> > for the container isn't getting applied.
> >
> > Ken wrote:
> >
> > > That would almost sound like a DNS issue or that you're
> > > not giving the computer enough time to refresh the
> > > policy. If it's a 2k machine, run secedit /refreshpolicy
> > > machine_policy or an XP machine run gpupdate. I'm not
> > > sure on how often the computer policies refresh
> > > automatically... is it just at start up?
> > >
> > > Ken

Well, it looks like it's working now. I did reboot the client as a last
resort, 3 days after I made the GPO change, and after the reboot it
started connecting and doing it's thing.

I discarded rebooting myself since it was live, but it would seem that
since the GPO makes a registry change, rebooting might be required for
the settings to get in there.