Your question

AMD's APM in detail

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
January 15, 2007 7:54:03 PM

It could be kinda old, but it's a good read for anyone who's interested on how APM works for AMD.

AMD_Analyst_Day.pdf

More about : amd apm detail

January 15, 2007 8:03:18 PM

..ummm...... gee, thanks... :wink:
Related resources
January 15, 2007 8:14:17 PM

Quote:
I love graphs with no Y Axis values.

My high school stats teacher didn't, :( 
January 15, 2007 8:21:08 PM

Quote:

I don't see anything wrong with the missing Y-axis values. it just gives you an estimate of how good or bad the process/technology/software is compared to the previous ones.

Many times in college, I made several power point presentation with no Y-axis values just for sake to explain with my own words what those values were and how they can vary in time. :wink:
January 15, 2007 8:45:48 PM

Quote:

I don't see anything wrong with the missing Y-axis values. it just gives you an estimate of how good or bad the process/technology/software is compared to the previous ones.

Many times in college, I made several power point presentation with no Y-axis values just for sake to explain with my own words what those values were and how they can vary in time. :wink:

Yes.....And you also forgot to mention that in those powerpoint presentations you got grade F- for them.

LOL only joking. :) 

LOL. thanks.

Here is more info regarding APM:
APM forms the nervous system of AMD's fabs.pdf

What makes APM different?
January 15, 2007 9:22:27 PM

Quote:
...What is interesting is that SiGe has been nearly seven years in the making as the patent was issued in 99.

Its really about time they started using it ,but using it so differently than Intel has i am sure ,been problematic.I just wonder why its so late in the game.

My best guess is that AMD will be using it in K8L rather than on current K8 cores. Also, what you're referring to as "problematic" might indeed be more "advanced".
January 15, 2007 9:44:19 PM

I see AMD is predicting 65 nm crossover in Q2 '07. This seems to me to be a very fast turn-around. It seems to me that it took Intel a lot longer to achieve crossover after they started shipping 65 nm in volume. Is the target crossover realistic for AMD?
January 16, 2007 6:53:34 AM

Quote:
I see AMD is predicting 65 nm crossover in Q2 '07. This seems to me to be a very fast turn-around. It seems to me that it took Intel a lot longer to achieve crossover after they started shipping 65 nm in volume. Is the target crossover realistic for AMD?

absolutely;they spent more time developeing 65 off the market to do it.i am sure the turnaround will go as planned;as one of thr few things that will this half.

That all depends on them getting 65nm Brisbanes out into the world. As mentioned in other threads that the Brisbane launch is looking very much like a paper launch.

I think they are having more problems with their conversion to 65nm than they or anyone who cares about competition realizes. I will give them until the end of January to start getting product into the channel. If that does not happen I don't see them making their conversion as stated and that leaves me no great hope that the Barcelona will launch on time in volume that they need to stay competitive.

I was visiting my friend at Intel and he had an A0 Wolfdale testing in his lab. These parts have been up and running since the first of the year.

I'm betting we will see Penryn's, Wolfdales and Yorkfields at Intel's next IDF. In what numbers I don't know and if they will be on the next revision or not.

I think we are entering into a quite period for CPU announcements from both Intel and AMD after January until June or July timeframe other than the 45nm processors that Intel will show at IDF.
January 16, 2007 7:48:14 AM

I believe they started using SiGe on 90 nano parts. What Jack may be talking about is the "enhanced" or eSiGe that they plan to bring out between node change and K8L.
I didn't see much on APM in the OP post. There are'nt too many things that chalky at the inq does right, but I do like this bit
I dont know who really did the dumbing down, but it fits me very well.
January 16, 2007 2:32:08 PM

Thanks for the link endyen, the cake and twinkie version is a little more my speed :) 

:? :?: :arrow: :idea: :wink:
January 16, 2007 7:40:18 PM

Quote:

Were the pervious ones without values on the Y axis also?

Quote:

I don't know what you've been styding but engineers are workig only with numbers.
There is no science without numbers!
So that PDF can only give image to the IT undeucated people, but I am 100% sure they will get a wrong image.

BTW, you can change the topic in "AMD's APM without details"
January 16, 2007 8:10:47 PM

When I saw "APM" the first thing that came to mind was "Anti-Personnel Mine" :roll:
-mcg
January 16, 2007 8:11:11 PM

There is seriously something wrong with this dude's brain.
January 16, 2007 8:17:16 PM

I'm a big fan of AMD, but the only problem I have with Intel and AMD is their plans of expanding their outsourcing. The entire idea just aggravates me. Intel and AMD are both American based companies. They aren't benefiting the American people, they're just putting more money in their pockets. Why do we have to pay twice as much for pc hardware when Europeans and Asians pay half the cost of the products. I recently spoke to a European and he said an 8800GTS cost him $350 when it first came out! Why did we have to pay ~$550 for the same product? Although we need the hardware I still think we should boycott every product not made in the USA! Look at the world today. Many American based companies are outsourcing and making other countries richer and sucking the money right out of our pockets!
January 16, 2007 8:22:29 PM

So, America sux! Come to Europe.
January 16, 2007 8:29:23 PM

No it's okay I like it here better. America is more richer and technologically advanced than Europe. And more free! No thanks. :D 
January 16, 2007 8:43:22 PM

Quote:
I'm a big fan of AMD, but the only problem I have with Intel and AMD is their plans of expanding their outsourcing. The entire idea just aggravates me. Intel and AMD are both American based companies. They aren't benefiting the American people, they're just putting more money in their pockets. Why do we have to pay twice as much for pc hardware when Europeans and Asians pay half the cost of the products. I recently spoke to a European and he said an 8800GTS cost him $350 when it first came out! Why did we have to pay ~$550 for the same product? Although we need the hardware I still think we should boycott every product not made in the USA! Look at the world today. Many American based companies are outsourcing and making other countries richer and sucking the money right out of our pockets!

AMD will probably be building a new Fab in New York if that makes you feel any better.
January 16, 2007 9:20:23 PM

I know about the Fab in NY, it won't make a big difference. The Fab in NY will only increase production that's all. It won't drive costs down. It will only increase AMD's profit. Can't you see in the presentation that they are planning to open up Fabs all over Europe and Asia. What does that leave for us?
January 16, 2007 9:47:10 PM

Quote:
No it's okay I like it here better. America is more richer and technologically advanced than Europe. And more free! No thanks. :D 

More technologically advanced than Europe ?
Well it certainly buys more technology and human resources but doesn't produce more!
January 16, 2007 10:17:30 PM

Yes the US is more technologically advanced than Europe, see:
http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,45130,00...

Norway is first, and the U.S. is sixth behind Canada and Australia, so there you have it. U.S. is more technologically advanced than Europe. That's why Boeing is better than Airbus and other American companies are better than European companies!
January 16, 2007 10:20:06 PM

The U.S. produces more products concerning technology than Europe. What does Europe manufacture, chocolate and exotic and overpriced vehicles. Asia is more technologically advanced than Europe!
January 17, 2007 7:21:54 AM

Quote:

I didn't see much on APM in the OP post. There are'nt too many things that chalky at the inq does right, but I do like this bit
I dont know who really did the dumbing down, but it fits me very well.

Sorry if I didn't gather enough info about it.

Here's a better and complete overview of how it works:

http://fab36.amd.com/en-us/tech.aspx
They even have flash videos of it in action.
a c 118 à CPUs
January 17, 2007 5:10:19 PM

Your 8800GTSes might only cost the equivalent of US$350 where we pay $550, but your taxes are even higher than ours. I think that it costs the same in gross US$ either place.

I'd rather pay less in taxes and more to a manufacturer as the government is a white elephant if there ever was one, while at least a company can use the money for something. It preferably would go back into R&D and make better products, but it can still benefit you even if it's just the CEO buying a computer from your shop or something. The most you'd expect to get back from the government after giving them more taxes would be even thicker tax instruction guides sheets for the next year- and higher taxes, too- and more red-light cameras and fine-able offenses (as the government can hire more lackeys to find ways to milk money from you if they have more money with which to hire more lackeys.)
January 17, 2007 7:37:18 PM

If you buy online and site's company isn't based in your state then you don't have to pay taxes. What are you talking about? The 8800GTX is about $600 right now, originally it was $650. Taxes have absolutely nothing to do with this.
January 17, 2007 8:23:51 PM

Quote:

A local paper today had an article about Intel trying to sell the Colo Springs facility. If there is no buyer, apparently 1,000 people will lose their jobs.
January 17, 2007 8:52:53 PM

9nm! You still live! Hurrah!
January 17, 2007 9:12:55 PM

Wow I wasn't even of this! This is what I was talking about.