Cannot access encrypted files

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hello Everybody,

I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a folder. I
have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete all files from C
and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot access any of those
files on D partition that I encrypted.
Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I try to
remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while applying
attribute:"

How can I make these files accessible?
Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really important
for me.

Thank you,

--
Syed Zeeshan Haider

---------------------------------
http://szh.20m.com/
11 answers Last reply
More about cannot access encrypted files
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You probably can't.
    Unless you have the ORIGINAL profile or keys, the data is most likely gone
    for good.
    They can not be recreated.
    If there is a possibility, something on the following link may help:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
    See the links near the bottom of the page to help prevent this in the
    future.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szhatforums@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a folder.
    > have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete all files from C
    > and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot access any of those
    > files on D partition that I encrypted.
    > Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I try to
    > remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while applying
    > attribute:"
    >
    > How can I make these files accessible?
    > Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really important
    > for me.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > --
    > Syed Zeeshan Haider
    >

    > ---------------------------------
    > http://szh.20m.com/
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szhatforums@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a
    > folder. I
    > have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete all files
    > from C
    > and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot access any of
    > those
    > files on D partition that I encrypted.
    > Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I try
    > remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while applying
    > attribute:"
    >
    > How can I make these files accessible?
    > Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really
    > important
    > for me.

    After encrypting anything the first time, you need to export the EFS
    certificate to a floppy for safe keeping. That is because you will need
    it when you do a fresh install of the operating system since the next
    EFS certificate that you create when you encrypt something under that
    new instance of the OS will not have the same random key that the other
    EFS certificate under the prior instance of the OS.

    Start -> Help and Support
    Search on "EFS export"

    Since you don't have the old EFS certificate to import into your new
    instance of the OS, you can't decrypt those old files whether for the
    ones on the hard drive or from file backups.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Windows XP file encryption is virtually "bullet proof". Without the
    encryption certificates (you did back them up, didn't you) there is no way
    for ANYONE to further access those files. After all, that is what encryption
    is all about. If there was a way in, a backdoor so to speak, your files
    wouldn't be safe and could be viewed by anyone.

    You have just learned a very painful lesson!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szhatforums@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a folder.
    > have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete all files from C
    > and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot access any of those
    > files on D partition that I encrypted.
    > Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I try to
    > remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while applying
    > attribute:"
    >
    > How can I make these files accessible?
    > Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really important
    > for me.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > --
    > Syed Zeeshan Haider
    >

    > ---------------------------------
    > http://szh.20m.com/

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,

    Are you positive you encrypted it? If not, it may just be an ownership
    issue. If this is the case, open Help & Support from the start menu and
    search on "take ownership".

    If you are positive that you encrypted them, then the *only* way to recover
    access to them is with the original encryption certificate or recovery agent
    made from within the installation that was used to create them. If you do
    not possess either of these, then that data is lost to you.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szhatforums@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a folder.
    > have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete all files from C
    > and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot access any of those
    > files on D partition that I encrypted.
    > Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I try to
    > remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while applying
    > attribute:"
    >
    > How can I make these files accessible?
    > Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really important
    > for me.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > --
    > Syed Zeeshan Haider
    >

    > ---------------------------------
    > http://szh.20m.com/

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I wouldn't use/write anything more to your c: drive. A professional forensic
    recovery expert might be able to recover your keyfiles as raw data. It's
    probably already too late.

    "Syed Zeeshan Haider" wrote:

    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a folder. I
    > have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete all files from C
    > and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot access any of those
    > files on D partition that I encrypted.
    > Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I try to
    > remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while applying
    > attribute:"
    >
    > How can I make these files accessible?
    > Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really important
    > for me.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > --
    > Syed Zeeshan Haider
    >

    > ---------------------------------
    > http://szh.20m.com/

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,

    Thanks for your response!

    Yes, I am dead sure that I encrypted it. And I just forgot to decrypt it
    before formatting C drive.

    Thanks again!
    --
    Syed Zeeshan Haider

    ------------------------------------
    http://szh.20m.com/

    > Hi,
    >
    > Are you positive you encrypted it? If not, it may just be an ownership
    > issue. If this is the case, open Help & Support from the start menu and
    > search on "take ownership".
    >
    > If you are positive that you encrypted them, then the *only* way to
    recover
    > access to them is with the original encryption certificate or recovery
    agent
    > made from within the installation that was used to create them. If you do
    > not possess either of these, then that data is lost to you.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szhatforums@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello Everybody,
    > >
    > > I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a
    folder.
    > > have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete all files from
    > > and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot access any of those
    > > files on D partition that I encrypted.
    > > Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I try to
    > > remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while applying
    > > attribute:"
    > >
    > > How can I make these files accessible?
    > > Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really
    important
    > > for me.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Syed Zeeshan Haider
    > >

    > > ---------------------------------
    > > http://szh.20m.com/

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    OK!

    I just figured out that the said folder was included in a backup file
    created by Windows Backup utility. But now, when I restore it from that
    file, I still have the same problem.

    Is there any chance to restore it from that backup file without losing
    access to it?

    Thanks!
    --
    Syed Zeeshan Haider

    ------------------------------------
    http://szh.20m.com/

    "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szhatforums@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a folder.
    > have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete all files from C
    > and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot access any of those
    > files on D partition that I encrypted.
    > Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I try to
    > remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while applying
    > attribute:"
    >
    > How can I make these files accessible?
    > Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really important
    > for me.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > --
    > Syed Zeeshan Haider
    >

    > ---------------------------------
    > http://szh.20m.com/

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You will still need the same keys for that folder.
    Unfortunately that other folder is no help since it is the same as the other
    encrypted folder.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    > OK!
    >
    > I just figured out that the said folder was included in a backup file
    > created by Windows Backup utility. But now, when I restore it from that
    > file, I still have the same problem.
    >
    > Is there any chance to restore it from that backup file without losing
    > access to it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Syed Zeeshan Haider
    >

    > ------------------------------------
    > http://szh.20m.com/
    >

    > "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szhatforums@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello Everybody,
    >>
    >> I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a folder.
    >> have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete all files from
    >> and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot access any of those
    >> files on D partition that I encrypted.
    >> Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I try to
    >> remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while applying
    >> attribute:"
    >>
    >> How can I make these files accessible?
    >> Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really
    >> important
    >> for me.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Syed Zeeshan Haider
    >>

    >> ---------------------------------
    >> http://szh.20m.com/

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    In news:OgQHwhNDFHA.520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Syed Zeeshan Haider <szhatforums@hotpop.com> did some thinking and came up
    with these words:
    > OK!
    >
    > I just figured out that the said folder was included in a backup file
    > created by Windows Backup utility. But now, when I restore it from
    > that file, I still have the same problem.
    >
    > Is there any chance to restore it from that backup file without losing
    > access to it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szhatforums@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello Everybody,
    >>
    >> I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a
    >> folder. I have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete
    >> all files from C and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot
    >> access any of those files on D partition that I encrypted.
    >> Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I
    >> try to remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while
    >> applying attribute:"
    >>
    >> How can I make these files accessible?
    >> Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really
    >> important for me.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Syed Zeeshan Haider
    >>

    >> ---------------------------------
    >> http://szh.20m.com/

    You don't need to restore that foder, but instead need the encryption keys.
    Did you do any type of restorative backup of the main C: drive? Drive
    Image, Ghost, Acronis... That is where you will find your keys to get at
    the data.

    --
    Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
    Associate Expert

    When you backed up the folder, it was already encrypted. Therefore, the
    files were backed up in their encrypted state. Restoring the folder will
    restore files that are encrypted and, because you don't have the EFS
    certificate, inaccessible.

    "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szhatforums@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > OK!
    >
    > I just figured out that the said folder was included in a backup file
    > created by Windows Backup utility. But now, when I restore it from that
    > file, I still have the same problem.
    >
    > Is there any chance to restore it from that backup file without losing
    > access to it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Syed Zeeshan Haider
    >

    > ------------------------------------
    > http://szh.20m.com/
    >

    > "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szhatforums@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello Everybody,
    >>
    >> I have a folder with a few hundred MB of data in D partition in a folder.
    >> have encrypted it from folder properties. I had to delete all files from
    >> and install WinXP again some days ago. Now I cannot access any of those
    >> files on D partition that I encrypted.
    >> Whenever I try to access any one of them, they won't open. When I try to
    >> remove encryption, a message say "An error occurred while applying
    >> attribute:"
    >>
    >> How can I make these files accessible?
    >> Any help will be highly appreciated, because that data is really
    >> important
    >> for me.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Syed Zeeshan Haider
    >>

    >> ---------------------------------
    >> http://szh.20m.com/

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

    > OK!
    >
    > I just figured out that the said folder was included in a backup file
    > created by Windows Backup utility. But now, when I restore it from that
    > file, I still have the same problem.
    >
    > Is there any chance to restore it from that backup file without losing
    > access to it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --

    No, if you had a complete image of the drive so that the SID was the
    same, then it would work. But just restoring the file won't without the
    encryption certificate.

Partition Microsoft Windows XP