Firewire from Card to Case

tromba

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I have a Belkin F5U504 PCI Express Firewire card. If you go to support for Belkin and enter that part number, there is no such part (although it is found under products with that number). The "book" that comes with it gives helpful information about how to unscrew the slot in the back of the case, how to screw in the card, complete with pictures!!!! I gives NO mention whatsoever of the connections on the card (such is product support these days...)

There are two internal connections on the card. I have a case with a front panel firewire, but the connections don't match. The card has an internal flat four pin connector and a "normal" firewire connector. The case connector has an 7 pin socket.

Good picture of Belkin and blurry picture of case shown here.

Can someone tell me how to connect these?

tromba

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
You fire wire card is not set up to take a front panel firewire like that. It's made to except a standard fire wire plug internaly. The 4 pin connection there looks like a 4 pin mini molex. Ther kind f power connector you would use to connect to a floppy drive.
Yes, that's what it looks like. Too bad the "installation" manual didn't have information on this kind of stuff.
Looks like the card needs aditional power from that connector. So basicly you will not be able to conect your front fire wire to this card.
No adapter or anything to do this?

tromba

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
It looks to me like THIS CABLE would solve the problem. But that one is out of stock. Found another one HERE.

These list the connectors as 2x5 and mine is definitely 3x4

Anyone have experience with one of these? Is it easy to find the right pin connections?

tromba

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I ordered the CPX-506 cable from Frontx.com and have a question on the connections.... my front panel definitely has a 4-3 pin configuration, and this one has a 5-2 pin configuration. I wrote to the case maker but havne't heard back yet.... Frontx gives their colors

Blue: TPA+
Orange: TPA-
Green: TPB+
Red: TPB-
White: VP

Black: GND
Black: S-GND

The case front panel cable DOES have these exact colors. Does anyone know if I can count on these colors being "standard"???