Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
I'm sure this has been asked before...but can anyone recommend a good p965 mobo for a 6400? I'm not looking to overclock and don't care about integrated graphics; I just want something stable and not too slow. Any ideas? Thanks!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Cheap board, nice feature set, i would say it has decent oc'ing ability too, but i dont want to get my head chewed off my 1Tanker.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138037

If your budget is really tight this board if pretty good, but the one above is alot better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130052
I don't chew off just anyone's head. :) It's just that that thing (he/she/it?) is so wrapped up in it's own little world, that it only reads what it wants.

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Thanks, all; I'll give these a look. I've got nothing against overclocking, it's just not a priority. Does anyone know anything about memory compatibility with these boards? I've got a stick of PQI Turbo 2v RAM, and I've heard the p965's are finicky about that. Thanks again!

Each motherboard has a qualified vendor's list of recommended memory.
Go to the manufacturer's site for the motherboard you choose and look it up. Other memory chips may or may not work.
In case it is not listed go the the PQI site and see what it is compatible with.
Depending on which processor you use, there will be different memory speeds required.

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Hmmmm... I have read Detson's request over and over:
I'm sure this has been asked before...but can anyone recommend a good p965 mobo for a 6400? I'm not looking to overclock and don't care about integrated graphics; I just want something stable and not too slow. Any ideas? Thanks!
... and I just do not see where it says that he does NOT want a motherboard that overclocks. "I'm not looking to overclock" does not necessarily equal "I will not buy a motherboard with overclocking features." The last time I checked, you can still use an overclockable motherboard without actually overclocking it.

I swear to god!!!! There's no way in hell, that you can understand ENGLISH :roll: :roll:

I'm not looking to overclock

You are the biggest 'tard in these forums!

Why do you feel the need to personally attack MrsBytch for suggesting a motherboard that meets Detson's request along with a few extra features?

I think an apology is due.

pogi

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
EPOX EP-5P965+ GLI

ep5p965gliga6.jpg

Key Specifications
* Supports LGA775 for Intel Quad Core processor Q6000
series and Intel Core 2 Duo processor E6000/ E4000
series
* Supports PCI-E x16 & x4 in dual VGA mode.
* Supports DDR2 800 up to 8GB.
* Supports 6 SATA II, up to 3.0Gb/sec.
* Supports 7.1 channel high definition audio.
* Supports GbE LAN.
* Supports up to 450MHz CPU frequency in BIOS
adjustable in 1MHz increments.
* New generation of hardware monitoring software
"Thunder Probe" and "Ghost Monitor".
* Ghost BIOS to rescue corrupted BIOS, BIOS auto update
and personal start up screen.
* EPoX debug LED "POST PORT".
* EPoX on board direct power on/off switch "EZ Button"
* EPoX EZ-IDE supports 2 IDE devices

EPoX today introduced its latest socket 775 mainboard EP-5P965+ GLI, based on Intel® P965 Express chipsets, supporting Intel¡¦s Core®2 Duo delivering extreme performance to bring users a whole new experience to the desktop!

New Generation Intel Quad Core Processors Support
EP-5P965+ GLI is based on the Intel® P965, the latest chipset designed featuring a 1066MHz Front Side Bus and supporting the latest DDR2-800 memory. It features Intel® Fast Memory Access technology which significantly improve memory performance through optimization and reducing memory access latency. Most importantly EP-5P965+ GLI is designed to support the highly anticipated Intel® Quad Core processors to be launched soon by Intel. With EP-5P965+ GLI, this new generation Intel® Quad Core processor will truly bring users to a whole new experience with unseen before performance boost. This makes EP-5P965+ GLI the ideal solution for gaming and multimedia applications including video editing and 3D animation and design as well as for intensive multi-tasking environments.

Delivering Powerful Platform
EP-5P965+ GLI is equipped with 2 slots of PCI-E x16 for dual display functions in GLI mode (Graphics Link Interface). However when combined with specific ATI VGA cards, GLI mode transforms into ATI's Crossfire mode, harnessing the power of multi GPU. This gives gamers a major leap in gaming performance.

EP-5P965+ GLI features 4 DDR2 DIMM slots to support the ultra high speed DDR2-800 module up to 8GB system memory. It supports asynchronous clocking mode between FSB and DIMM with flexible voltage adjustments. Gamers can freely find out the best setup matrix based on the processors and memory modules on hand to challenge the performance limit!

For the audio enthusiast, it uses Realtek ALC883 HD Audio Codec which enables high-quality 8-channel audio with 192KHz/24-bit audio output, multi-streaming technology that simultaneously sends different audio streams to different destinations. You can now talk to your partners on the headphone while playing a multi-channel network games. EP-5P965+ GLI is also equipped with the all important Gigabit Ethernet for high speed internet access featuring the Realtek RTL8111 PCI-Express controller. For storage, EP-5P965+ GLI supports up to six SATA-II ports for high bandwidth data transfer up to 3.0Gbs devices.

User-friendly solution

Although the new Intel® ICH8R chipset does not support IDE device, EPoX cleverly develop its EZ-IDE function to provide users a solution to use their existing IDE devices. Unlike other IDE solution, EZ-IDE does not require any software driver and will work easily in any operating system.

Powerful additives
EP-5P965+ GLI is carefully designed with the end user's convenience and performance in mind. EP-5P965+ GLI comes populated with real solid state silicon capacitors for more stable performance and higher overclocking margin. In addition, EPoX's classic LED Post Port has proven as a valuable trouble shooting tool and has earned its place on this board as well. Another user friendly feature, "EZ Button", helps power users to be able to switch on the board without any other cables and directly power on the board by button.

Reincarnate your PC with "Ghost BIOS"
EPoX has invented and developed the EP1308 SUPER I/O chip to support a powerful BIOS recovery function called Ghost BIOS. With Ghost BIOS user don't need to send their mainboards back for repair due to corrupted BIOS. By simply following the steps in the "Thunder Flash" utility their BIOS will be recovered and flashed to the latest BIOS version. So, how good is Ghost BIOS? Ghost BIOS is so powerful that even if the onboard BIOS chip is removed, the PC can still boot!

Finally EP-5P965+ GLI bundles "Thunder Probe", a hardware monitoring utility software that helps users to see voltage, temperature and speeds for a variety of hardware; "Smart Fan", an intelligent fan speed controller to reduce fan noise;

With technologies like Quad Core and Crossfire, plus other ultimate functions and abilities from EPOX, EP-5P965+ GLI has turned into a powerful and reliable monster board for all end users.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123021

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Whoa...chill, all. That GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 looks like a good deal; I've been looking for an excuse to get another gig of RAM, so I'll probably just get some Corsair that runs at 1.8 and boot with that, and then manually set the voltage to 2.0. Thanks for the input!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hmmmm... I have read Detson's request over and over:
... and I just do not see where it says that he does NOT want a motherboard that overclocks. "I'm not looking to overclock" does not necessarily equal "I will not buy a motherboard with overclocking features." The last time I checked, you can still use an overclockable motherboard without actually overclocking it.

I swear to god!!!! There's no way in hell, that you can understand ENGLISH :roll: :roll:

I'm not looking to overclock

You are the biggest 'tard in these forums!

Why do you feel the need to personally attack MrsBytch for suggesting a motherboard that meets Detson's request along with a few extra features?

I think an apology is due.I don't!! You haven't been around long enough to know MrsBytch's and my history. :x

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I wouldn't normally recommend an ECS board to an enthusiast but to an average user who wants cheap and stability at stock settings its the ECS 965 has been given good reviews in those regards.

If you're wary of that because it didn't sound like a glowing recommendation then go for the MSI board, MSI is usually rock solid stable at default settings. They just aren't an "enthusiast" who wants to OC/tweak etc etc's choice. Both of these are great for average Joe though :)

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Whoa...chill, all. That GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 looks like a good deal; I've been looking for an excuse to get another gig of RAM, so I'll probably just get some Corsair that runs at 1.8 and boot with that, and then manually set the voltage to 2.0. Thanks for the input!

It's getting hot in here.... About the 965 being finicky with memory....that's pretty much a thing of the past now. The newer bios revisions have all but erased the headaches caused. The chances of getting a new mobo with an old bios are almost nil. The 965 was kinda rushed to market to coincide with the release of the C2D, and didn't have all of the bugs quite worked out of it. As someone else mentioned, the 650i offers very good performance for a reasonable price, they tend to be about 20-30 more than 965's, but they do include the option of SLIing your graphics in the future. If this isn't a priority for you, then stick with the 965.

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Interesting... Speaking as someone whose only experience is with the Athlon 64, this memory business seems way to complicated. Shouldn't the damn things just autodetect? It's not like Intel needs to rush anything; people seem to lap up Intel regardless. Hell, it took Netburst whole years to die, and that's only after the server market wised up.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well, at the time of the release, only the 975X chipset was available to support C2D. So obviously they wanted a mainstream platform to be available. And the problem was primarily with third-party vendors such as Gigabyte having immature bios revs on their boards, so whether the blame can be laid at intel's feet is none too clear. Of course memory modules auto-detect.

BullsWild77

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
I agree with Apt403 this Mobo
BIOSTAR TForce965PT LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard .
I Just built my little brother a new computer using this board and I also do not overclock. I had no Problems at all. Great board If you ask me for the money.

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Actually, the reason I'm asking is because I've already had one bad experience with that Biostar TForce965PT LGA 775 Intel P965 Express. I bought it for my brother's new PC, and it wouldn't POST. I don't know if it was the memory issue, or simply a bad board...but I'm going with something different this time around. There was no image output from the PCI-E card, nor did I hear any kind of POST beep, even with all components save the RAM and cpu removed.