Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

no signal after installing new graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 15, 2007 9:14:59 PM

recently purchased x1950 pro agp card and get no signal on
monitor,wasnt bad card cause i had them send me another its
from powercolor also tryed a new visiontek 1950 and same problems.Also tryed new beefed up 650w psu so i no its not that
when i put my 66oogt back in everything works fine,but when i try new cards i get beeps like when always booting up and then black screen that says no signal.Cards are seated ok as well as rest of connections,read that i might have to disable motherboards on
board graphics but did not have to do this with 6600 it overroad
it automatically. Really scratchin my head here plz help.

Pent4 3.6 ghz
ecs elite group 915p-A mobo
January 15, 2007 9:20:43 PM

You said it right there. Disable onboard graphics.

It will interfere to some extent or other, this time 'or other' is nil display.


Hope it works. If it doesn't then look at motherboard manufacturer's website for compatibility and possible BIOS upgrade if it is listed as needed for the new card. Don't upgrade BIOS if it doesn't actually say it is an issue.

Q
January 15, 2007 9:43:30 PM

Since you already had a video card in place, the on board graphics probably are turned off. You can doublecheck that in the BIOS. A more likely problem is that you have the drivers for the Nvidia card in place and they are not allowing the ATI based card to be recognized.

While you have the machine on with the Nvidia card in place, remove all the drivers associated with it. Then shut the computer off and put in the new ATI based card. It should boot up with a message that there is new hardware in place and it needs to be installed. Put in the disc that came with the new card and install its drivers. Your machine should work fine after that.
Related resources
January 15, 2007 10:15:39 PM

Hmmm this sounds really weird. Did you make sure you connected well the power connectors on the video card? Also, I would say update the BIOS, your mobo bios might need it.
January 18, 2007 2:50:10 PM

I am having the very same problem with my new x1950xt.

It is a brand new computer:

Asus P5B deluxe
C2D 6600
x1950xt
650 W
etc..

It works when the driver is not installed, but when I install the driver, the signal cuts out right after windows loads.
January 18, 2007 2:57:59 PM

Dude, you've got X1950 PRO AGP. It appears that 90% of them have problems. Read

THIS THREAD

Then decide for yourself what's your situation.

I feel for you. I was going to get me one of those X1950 PRO AGP. But it seems something is really messed up with its components, design or both. Hopefully ATI will figure things out and recall all these malfunctioning cards.

EDIT: Ah, scratch that thread. Just read this:

I did not realize that all variants of X1950 PRO AGP had the same problems. As ChetCV wrote about Sapphire:

"This is probably the same problem a lot of ppl are having with the x1950Pro (search Sapphire x1950Pro forums). I don't think it's a design flaw but a failure in one of the components. ATI designed the x1950Pro with digital VRM (voltage regulators) and did away with the capacitors nVidia still uses them even in the GF8800GTX. These digital VRM's are overheating or faulty causing improper voltage going to the GPU, Mem or both. This results in crashing the vid card and the whole system which you see as the "Black Screen/Standby Mode"

I am having the same problem with my PCI-E x1950Pro from Asus. With all the great reviews on this card and they never reported a problem I think a bad batch of cards is what we got. The only thing you can do is RMA and hope your replacement is in full working order."


Personally, I thought it might be possible to find a variant free of this issue but one of the guys said he tried Diamond, Visiontek, Sapphire and something else and they ALL had the same problem. So there -- gotta be those faulty digital VRM's.
January 18, 2007 5:04:49 PM

Quote:
Dude, you've got X1950 PRO AGP. It appears that 90% of them have problems. Read

THIS THREAD

Then decide for yourself what's your situation.

I feel for you. I was going to get me one of those X1950 PRO AGP. But it seems something is really messed up with its components, design or both. Hopefully ATI will figure things out and recall all these malfunctioning cards.

EDIT: Ah, scratch that thread. Just read this:

I did not realize that all variants of X1950 PRO AGP had the same problems. As ChetCV wrote about Sapphire:

"This is probably the same problem a lot of ppl are having with the x1950Pro (search Sapphire x1950Pro forums). I don't think it's a design flaw but a failure in one of the components. ATI designed the x1950Pro with digital VRM (voltage regulators) and did away with the capacitors nVidia still uses them even in the GF8800GTX. These digital VRM's are overheating or faulty causing improper voltage going to the GPU, Mem or both. This results in crashing the vid card and the whole system which you see as the "Black Screen/Standby Mode"

I am having the same problem with my PCI-E x1950Pro from Asus. With all the great reviews on this card and they never reported a problem I think a bad batch of cards is what we got. The only thing you can do is RMA and hope your replacement is in full working order."


Personally, I thought it might be possible to find a variant free of this issue but one of the guys said he tried Diamond, Visiontek, Sapphire and something else and they ALL had the same problem. So there -- gotta be those faulty digital VRM's.


Didnt know that, thanks for the advice, thats why I saw some very cheap 1950 pros in eBay, they were probably failures :p 
January 18, 2007 5:19:21 PM

how cheap? are they worth the time RMA'ing if dead?

[/wheels are turning...]
January 18, 2007 5:22:14 PM

bah.. they're going for upwards of $300. no thanks.
January 18, 2007 5:27:49 PM

I found like 2 weeks ago a Sapphire x1950 agp new in box for $250 and free shipping, still as you said, I would get them and rma them in case of any failure. But dont you think is rare somebody selling them for $250 new in box?
January 18, 2007 5:28:08 PM

Quote:
bah.. they're going for upwards of $300. no thanks.


:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Did he mean $300+ was cheap?! :roll:

Okay... here:

HIS -- $289.99

Sapphire -- $249.99

EDIT: Yo, even $250.00 new in the box is not cheap. Retail is $250.00-280.00. I would get a few for $150.00 to RMA though :) 
January 18, 2007 5:34:46 PM

well thx for ever1s advice and input guess ill be returning these lemons
and start thinking more about joining the PCI-E crowd
January 18, 2007 5:36:57 PM

those are good prices in newegg! but I beilieve I saw more than 250 on newegg before.

that menas ebay is right now not worth it ;) 
January 18, 2007 6:04:36 PM

i guess people are willing to pay a premium for AGP based cards. in all fairness, it is the fastest AGP card on the market.
January 18, 2007 10:43:04 PM

well you know there is always crazy people out there

btw havent see u in a long time
January 19, 2007 1:07:58 AM

i've been around... i think i took a month or so off around x-mas. but it wasn't that long, was it?
January 19, 2007 6:27:05 PM

Well I saw you after christmas, but not that much, you have been quiet most of this time.
January 22, 2007 9:03:07 AM

just got my gecube x1950pro 2 days ago and works great no problems what so ever.

will run 3dmark 2006 today and will post up.


p4 3ghz ht
2 gb ddr4
2 x 80gb 7200 WD 8mb - striped + 1 80gb 7200 WD 8mb = 240gb
x1950pro agp 256 ddr3 gecube - just upgraded my 9800pro
(uses 2x power connectors, comes with splliter)
mobo: ga-8knxp rev 1.0 gigabyte
latest radeon catalyst driver
latest bios
January 22, 2007 9:49:25 AM

Quote:
i guess people are willing to pay a premium for AGP based cards. in all fairness, it is the fastest AGP card on the market.



eh? :p 

well you have to if you wanna play the new games :p 

plus i wouldnt exactly call it premium since the 7800GS by nvidia cost more and is slower. Iv already said this before but i used to have a 7800GS and i used it for about 5 months then sold it for the same amount on ebay as was the cost to buy a new x1950 pro :p  . Personally i thought the price to be paid was well worth the performance gains iv got.
January 22, 2007 8:12:15 PM

I would like to see your 3dmark scores ;) 
January 25, 2007 2:27:21 PM

as i wrote my system is :
p4 3ghz ht
2 gb ddr4
2 x 80gb 7200 WD 8mb - striped + 1 80gb 7200 WD 8mb = 240gb
x1950pro agp 256 ddr3 gecube - just upgraded my 9800pro
(uses 2x power connectors, comes with splliter)
mobo: ga-8knxp rev 1.0 gigabyte
latest radeon catalyst driver
latest bios

benchmark ran with only (2x512ddr 400)
had avg antivirus and antispyware on, dont know how much it makes a difference - no o.c. done yet.

3dmark 2005 default settings = 6831
3dmark 2006 default settings = 3881

i must say that i got the card for about 200$ and games work great all in 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF i get resnobale fps, ican get much higher if i lower AA and AF.
January 25, 2007 3:32:34 PM

I'm the guy who started that thread on the X1950 PRO AGP.
It acted like a heat issue, or it was suggested a motherboard combatablity (Asus P4V8X-MX) issue, but I know it wasn't the PS (Thermaltake 750W) for me. I ended up returning all three cards and instead am suffering with my GS7800 till April-May when I'll build a new toy.

Good luck.
January 26, 2007 7:14:58 PM

pretty impressive results for such a system...
January 29, 2007 10:21:49 AM

Thanks, now i am ready to test a little o.c.,

any new application to o.c. my x1950pro ?, i dont think ati tool will work with or am i wrong ?

with giga-byte 9600xt on my second rig i got a nice o.c. tool.
January 29, 2007 6:46:03 PM

I meant msjason but hey u got good scores too ;) 
January 30, 2007 1:45:29 PM

Quote:

blade85

iv finally finished building my system and tried it out on the 3dmark products.
my card: Sapphire X1950 pro 512Mb AGP
Old system: p4 2.5 ghz, 2gb DDR400, x1950 pro agp 4x
Results: 3dmark05 - 4806 (1024x768) , 3dmark06 - 3200 (1024x768)
New system: core 2 duo E6600 @stock speed, 2Gb DDR400, X1950 pro agp8x
Results: 3dmark05 - 10127 (1024x768) , 3dmark06 - 6070 (1024x768)


Quote:

blade85

okay, at 1280x1024 i get a 3dmark06 score of 5092 points.

sm 2 score: 1901
sm 3 score: 2154
cpu score: 2093


cpu realy helps, unfortunatly no more money left and pleased with my reslts, still will try to o.c. and see how i can improve it.

wll start with the cpu o.c. then will go to the grapics card and at the end will set the memory.
i dont realy play at 1024x768 but on 1280x1024.

will keep you pasted here.[/quote]
a c 114 U Graphics card
January 30, 2007 3:40:47 PM

Ok.....

I skimmed the thread....it looks like the card works....then when the drivers load its no good?

If you can see the bios.....but loose it at windows then it may be sending the video elsewhere.... Try all video ports.....so both DVI-s and the s-vid with a TV.....it you have onboard make sure you try there too.....

Windows XP tends to send the video to where it was last....unlike 98....


Example.

When i went from a 9800pro to a X850 it went and put my video on DVI as opposed to D-sub(i use dvi now anyway....thanks to a new screen)....So i had to dig out the dvi-dsub adapter and plug it in....and what do you know...i have video....Then i used CCC to change it back to normal....

I have seen video go over to onboard in some cases too....if you go from on-board to agp/pci(e)...

This is just the way windows seems to be.....

On a fresh load of windows this should not be a problem.....

I hope this helps some
January 30, 2007 4:11:27 PM

Quote:

I skimmed the thread....it looks like the card works....then when the drivers load its no good? . . . If you can see the bios.....but loose it at windows then it may be sending the video elsewhere.... Try all video ports.....so both DVI-s and the s-vid with a TV.....it you have onboard make sure you try there too..... Windows XP tends to send the video to where it was last....unlike 98.... When i went from a 9800pro to a X850 it went and put my video on DVI as opposed to D-sub(i use dvi now anyway....thanks to a new screen)....So i had to dig out the dvi-dsub adapter and plug it in....and what do you know...i have video....Then i used CCC to change it back to normal....


Graphics cards are not easy to install. You all have my sympathy. It always amuses me when the experts post that they have never had a problem. But the truth is, most of us have never had a clean install of a graphics card, Nvidia, ATI, or other. There are just too many OS, driver, and hardware issues that screw it up. No install CD provided by the GPU manufacturer seems to get it right for most of us.
January 31, 2007 8:13:24 AM

i didnt understand if the problem was solved or not ? do you still need help or everything is ok ?
February 2, 2007 9:56:10 PM

I just installed a x1650xt agp and had the same problem, the card seemed to work fine until I restarted the system when told to do so after the driver installation, I would reciece the no video signal message. I was using a cheap 400 watt PSU with only 16A on my +12 rail that ran my 9800 pro fine. I pulled out an old better made FSP Group PSU 300 watt that has 18A on my +12 rail and system booted fine and seems to be running O.K. that was 2 days ago.

P4 3.4 northwood
Matsonic 9087C socket 478 motherboard
1gb kingston 3200
PowerColor x1650xt
windows xp home
generic cd burner
80gb hard drive seagate
February 3, 2007 5:16:23 AM

Quote:
recently purchased x1950 pro agp card and get no signal on
monitor,wasnt bad card cause i had them send me another its
from powercolor also tryed a new visiontek 1950 and same problems.Also tryed new beefed up 650w psu so i no its not that
when i put my 66oogt back in everything works fine,but when i try new cards i get beeps like when always booting up and then black screen that says no signal.Cards are seated ok as well as rest of connections,read that i might have to disable motherboards on
board graphics but did not have to do this with 6600 it overroad
it automatically. Really scratchin my head here plz help.

Pent4 3.6 ghz
ecs elite group 915p-A mobo


dont forget to set the "primary video" to AGP..
some mobos lets you chose betwen AGP or PCI ( or PCI vs PCI-E ).
I heard some mobos have this problem of no signal when you have
this option set to PCI when you have the card on the AGP slot.
February 3, 2007 7:30:19 AM

do you have the s-video connected ? i found that if the s-video is connected then their is only 1 primary dvi connector that needs to be sed.

if you do try swapping to the second dvi connector.
December 8, 2007 12:58:24 PM

hi i have the same problem no dvi signal :fou:  . i have BENQ monitor that is maximum resolution of 1680 by 1050 and max refresh rate of 60hz is run by Ati x1900xt. what i found when i plug into analog that in catalyst control center on monitor properties " Attributes " it said that my screen max resolution is 1920 by 1080 and max refresh rate of 75hz :pt1cable:  that why the screen switch off before windows login screen the problem now is that i try to change the resolution but is keep going back to 1920 by 1080 and 75hz MAX RATE is not fix yet but i'm working on it :pfff:  best of luck for all of you .
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2007 1:13:36 PM

Dude, the last post on this was over 10 months ago........
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2011 6:30:06 PM

mate i wounder if you could help me out,my oldman has a comapaq 1.6 duo prossesor + 2gb ram and 250 watt power supp, sound card and what not, hes just bought a radeon hd 5450 pci-e graphics card 1024mb 650mhz we installed it correctley and and changed the bios adapter settings from onboard i think to pci-e,we then plugged the vga montior cable to the graphics card and nothing but there is a signal from the mother board, when we did try to put the drivers in all it saids is theres no card ditected? oh and the fan on the graphics card is spinning.

could you help me out mate, my email is siraud360@hotmail.co.uk
!