Sign in with
Your question

New Windows Update wiped out Flash and Silverlight

Last response: in Windows 7
July 2, 2011 6:37:29 PM

Windows 7/64 recent Updates have wiped out functionality of my Flash and Silverlight players. I have un-installed both, but was unable to reinstall Flash. I used Restore to go back to before the updates, and everything started working properly. Then, Windows re-installed the updates and problem returns. The updates are either "Important" or "Recommended", so figured I should have them (Updates for Windows 7 64 bit systems, KB 2552343, KB2547666, and KB2545698). Any ideas other than uninstalling the updates and not letting them reinstall?
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2011 8:44:46 PM

I would set the updates to notify but don't install. That way you can decide when and if you need the updates. Sometimes it helps to disable your anti-virus when you update
m
l
July 2, 2011 9:43:39 PM

I would definitely do away with automatic updating entirely as "notify only" is still very safe in my opinion, as long as you have a reliable internet security suite. KB2545698 doesn't seem to be the culprit as far as I know because that was to do with typeface/font rendering only. The rest were bug fixes.
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2011 1:38:53 PM

Antje said:
I would definitely do away with automatic updating entirely as "notify only" is still very safe in my opinion, as long as you have a reliable internet security suite. KB2545698 doesn't seem to be the culprit as far as I know because that was to do with typeface/font rendering only. The rest were bug fixes.

I'll look at the descriptions again when I'm back at work Tuesday and see if I can narrow it down to a single update. Also change over to Notify instead of Install, though there are times when I forget to check and don't want to miss Criuticle Updates.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 3, 2011 6:45:54 PM

You will not have to check as update will notify you when updates are ready.

I think there is software from Adobe to unistall the flash player. normal uninstall won't do it.
m
l
July 7, 2011 9:00:49 PM

Found the problem...at the time Windows Update installed the updates in question, I coincidentally changed my Internet Zone Security setting to Protected Mode, which apparently disables Flash, Silverlight, etc. Totally slipped my mind... DOH! Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
m
l
!