Temporary internet files

Carsten

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Hi.

Is it possible to limit size of temp. internet files on
clients (w2k / xp) via group policy on win2000 server?

Br. Carsten

In article <1737001c448a8$2f6db100$a101280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hi.
>
> Is it possible to limit size of temp. internet files on
> clients (w2k / xp) via group policy on win2000 server?
>
> Br. Carsten

Yup, you need to switch the GPO IE settings to the so-called "Preference
mode". For more information refer to:

Use of Group Policy Objects to Administer Internet Explorer
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/chats/trans/ie/ie0416.mspx

HOW TO: Set Advanced Settings In Internet Explorer by Using Group Policy
Objects

If you still have concerns feel free to repost and I'll elaborate on
these settings.

HTH
--
Cheers,
Marin Marinov

Travesty

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003

Hi,

I was looking to also set the temp file limits on workstations. I found your post and tried this:

HOW TO: Set Advanced Settings In Internet Explorer by Using Group Policy
Objects

But when I try to edit any of the settings in the "advanced" section it just kicks me out of the GP setion. Any idea why ?

<snip>
Do you mean that the dialog closes by itself when you click OK? Or does
the console close when you double-click one of the categories under
Advanced?

--
Cheers,
Marin Marinov
MCT, MCSE 2003/2000/NT4.0,
MCSE:Security 2003/2000, MCP+I
-
rights.

If the MMC crashes when you try to access the categories, this is a bug with
Windows 2000 and you can obtain a hotfix from Microsoft.

(KB325666)

"Marin Marinov" <mlmarinov@askme.ca> wrote in message
> <snip>
> Do you mean that the dialog closes by itself when you click OK? Or does
> the console close when you double-click one of the categories under
> Advanced?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Marin Marinov
> MCT, MCSE 2003/2000/NT4.0,
> MCSE:Security 2003/2000, MCP+I
> -
> rights.

Hi again.

Just as Travesty I get kicked out of GPO when
doubleclicking both Corporate Settings and Internet
Settings.

It's possible to add the ADM files under Administrative
Templates, so theres an "IE Maintenance Only" folder in
Adm. Temp. But when I try to open it, it says "The
inetcorp.adm file is not for Windows 2000." Can I download
another ADM-file from somewhere?

Br. Carsten

confers no
>rights.
>.

<snip>
Sorry for the delayed answer. You can try replacing this file with the
orinigal from the Win2K CD or the applied service pack. It should be
with the name inetcorp.ad_. I'm sorry that I can't give you a more
precise answer.

HTH
--
Cheers,
Marin Marinov
MCT, MCSE 2003/2000/NT4.0,
MCSE:Security 2003/2000, MCP+I
-
rights.

Travesty

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003

I went to the KB325666 page, I cannot believe that microsoft wants you to call them to get the fix for thsi problem and on to of that you will be charged for the call !