Policy not applying

I have a standing corporate policy on our corporate OU. I made a change to the policy to the following setting:
User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Explorer - "Hide these specific drives in my computer" from "Not Configured" to "Enabled" with "Do not restrict drives" set. We have an application that has changed that regsitry key in the past to hide drives. We are wanting to not hide any drives anymore. This policy works fine the first time it is applied since the GPO was updated. If the registry key gets manually updated after the policy is applied it does not re-apply to change it back. Is this by design? How do you get the policy to be forced to apply every time a user logs in? I can only get it to reapply if we do a gpupdate /force.

Tracy,

To remove a configured setting you have done such hiding drives are not to
set another policy. Set the option you no longer want to Not Configured.

GPOs are re-applied every 90 minutes to clients and member servers, and
every 5 minutes to Domain Controller, it only relay new policy settings
detected. To reapply all ready applied settings you have to use gpupdate
/force

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Tracy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I have a standing corporate policy on our corporate OU. I made a change
to the policy to the following setting:
> User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows
Explorer - "Hide these specific drives in my computer" from "Not Configured"
to "Enabled" with "Do not restrict drives" set. We have an application that
has changed that regsitry key in the past to hide drives. We are wanting to
not hide any drives anymore. This policy works fine the first time it is
applied since the GPO was updated. If the registry key gets manually
updated after the policy is applied it does not re-apply to change it back.
Is this by design? How do you get the policy to be forced to apply every
time a user logs in? I can only get it to reapply if we do a gpupdate
/force.

So if a user manually updates their local policy the corporate policy will not get reapplied? This is what we are seeing in our environment. How do you force an update when the policy is refreshed, without doing it manually.