Hide Drives per Server not Per user

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to hide drives per server not per user? I know
the GPO policy to hide drives is configured under User Configuration
(So it is user specific). I tried to make a global group and add the
servers to it then apply the global group to the security tab under
the properties of the GPO with read and apply group policy set to
allow. This did not work (maybe I am barking under the wrong tree
with this idea). If anybody could let me know if this is even
possible I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eric H

Eric,

You really need to hide the drives for the logged-on user, and computers
don't log on. You could use loopback policy to apply the policy to all
users of the computer, but that may loopback have other unintended
consequences. you could also just set it in the Local GPO for the server,
as long as it doesn't get overridden by network policies.

Also, you could use our Drive Map extension, which includes the ability to
set hide/show policies on mapped or physical drives (as well as the ability
to perform the mappings). You could also set this up in a Local GPO for the
server in user policy, and you don't need a license to use Policy Maker in
Local GPOs. The advantage of this is that we merge the policy values for
individual drives in individual drive policies, include the mappings as
policies, and wrap it up as a true drive policy with a nice policy UI. You
also get the ability to do any kind of per-policy filtering, so you could
alter the policy for certain users or scenarios, all within the same Local
GPO, and our policies will override or merge with any ADM templates policy
that sets these same values.

Regards,

Eric Voskuil
Policy Maker
http://www.autoprof.com/policy

"Eric Voskuil" <voskuil@online.autoprof.com> said

> Eric,
>
> You really need to hide the drives for the logged-on user, and computers
> don't log on.

Strictly speaking they do. They even have their own passwords that expire and
have to be renewed every 30 days (by default). It's directly after this
computer account logon that Computer sections of group policies are applied
and startup scripts run.

--
Andy.

Andy,

Technically speaking you are correct, but as Eric found, computers don't run
user policy, so in this respect their "log on" is unique. Maybe I should
have said "... and computer's don't get user policy".

Regards,

Eric