Adding large number of users

Hello,

I have to add about 200 new User ID's to a 2000 Server.

The server isn't an Active Directory. Just a basic 2000 Server on a network which via IIS, is a web page server.

I don't want to type in 200 ID's in if I don't have to.

I did see the addusers.vbs and the xls, but that seems to be for servers that are its own domain.

Is there a way around this?

I would like to be able to run a script or something that reads in a delimited file with user names, and perhaps passwords.

thanks for any assistance.

In article <FFCF4004-C9EE-44FF-8E3A-2F0A2084E1D1@microsoft.com>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hello,
>
> I have to add about 200 new User ID's to a 2000 Server.
>
> The server isn't an Active Directory. Just a basic 2000 Server on a network which via IIS, is a web page server.
>
> I don't want to type in 200 ID's in if I don't have to.
>
> I did see the addusers.vbs and the xls, but that seems to be for servers that are its own domain.
>
> Is there a way around this?
>
> I would like to be able to run a script or something that reads in a delimited file with user names, and perhaps passwords.
>
> thanks for any assistance.

First, you can try Addusers.exe from Win2K Resource Kit. You can also do
it either with VBScript (JavaScript if you prefer) or batch scripting.
For VBScript samples check out TechNet Script Center, particularly:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/user/scrug92.msp

What is your text file format? Here's a small batch file that will
create the users listed in a file in the format <username>,<fullname>:

SET USRLIST=%1
FOR /F "TOKENS=1,2*" %%A IN (%USRLIST%) do (
net user %%A /FULLNAME:%%B /ADD
)

You feed it a CSV text file (which you can export from Excel) with the
user accounts as a command parameter and it creates them. If you need
more fields, you can add more information in the file. The %%A and %%B
variables represent the position in each row, so if you add, say,
password use the %%C variable. %%D for the fourth piece of information
in the row and so on. You can also modify this to execute the above
mentioned script instead of the 'net user' command but I don't think
you'll need to.

If you have troubles getting this to work feel free to post a sample of
your file and I'll try and tweak the script for you.

HTH
--
Cheers,
Marin Marinov

Thanks Marin,

Your information is very useful.

The file format I was planning on using was the same as the addusers.xls, domain, user, etc

Thank you for your time!