Sign in with
Your question

erm.. why do ppl set up web servers at home?

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2007 10:11:05 PM

U mean by doing so they are actually spared from paying the normal fees ppl usually pay for a webspace online? what are the advantages of a home web server? is it difficult to set up? is it hard to maintain?

sometimes i see ppl with what they call a home server. So what exactly does this 'home' server process?

so far i only understand game server.. as in u can have a server delicated to host a game. but besides that i don't really understand what more a 'home' server can do. please help. thanks
January 15, 2007 10:41:27 PM

let's see..

in your home:

1.- you need the hardware
2.- you need the software to run and install your website
3.- you might also need a good connection speed, since most isps havehorrible upload... so.. hard to find good ones..
hell even some isps blocks your ports..

in a Hosting website:
1.- Very fast
2.- dedicated hardware
3.- superfast connection nodes( depending the company )
4.- security

the bad about hosting is.. you need to do most of the stuff "remotely"
mostly via ftp, or console.
January 15, 2007 10:41:39 PM

Quote:
U mean by doing so they are actually spared from paying the normal fees ppl usually pay for a webspace online? what are the advantages of a home web server? is it difficult to set up? is it hard to maintain?

sometimes i see ppl with what they call a home server. So what exactly does this 'home' server process?

so far i only understand game server.. as in u can have a server delicated to host a game. but besides that i don't really understand what more a 'home' server can do. please help. thanks

We are 2 now. I would like that info too :) 
Related resources
January 15, 2007 10:45:13 PM

I'm running a web, email and ftp servers at home simply because I wanted to experiment. I suppose I save a few bucks on hosting fees but that's balanced by disruptions caused by my reboots and the occasional outage of Internet access that happens with my ISP.

Overall I'm glad I've done it since I did learn a lot.I wouldn't recommend it for commercial websites tho. Not reliable enough a situation.

Have a look at http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/html/products.htm... for good cheap Windows-based server software. Go for the combo. I use the service based versions. He has a very good HTML generator as well.

And no, no commissions. I'm just a huge fan of the guy's stuff.
January 15, 2007 10:51:56 PM

Im really ineterested on learning how to do this home server. I would like to know so for the day I decide to make my own web page :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2007 10:56:32 PM

You can run a home Web server if you want with apache....its free

but be aware while the idea of running an old box as a server is nice....you are limited to your ISP's upload bandwidth...

What does this mean to you? Simple professional hosting companies have lots of upstream and downstream bandwidth(lets say 10 megabits each way or more)...Home users get lots of downstream(let say 5-10) and not lots of upstream(lets say about 0.5 to 1 in most cases)....Result....If your site starts to kick some ass....you may exhaust your upstream bandwidth and get complains on how slow your site is.....

Other uses

TeamSpeak...
team speak uses little bandwidth and give you and your friends an edge if you game...once again.....FREE....and easy to setup

Games
Free.....bandwidth depends needs change from game to game....more FPS can host about 15-20 players on residential class internet....

File Server(Local)
Many people have lots of computers....and a whack load of files....in this case it makes sense to centralize your files. A server packed with tons of hard drive space can be used in conjunction with windows file sharing(shares). So you log into the living room computer and want to watch that movie you "obtained"...Sure have your my documents mapped to the servers share that contains those files....now where ever you go....there are your files...you can also have your desktop follow you...even shortcuts.....but there is a better way to do this....

Windows Domain
Designed for business....some use it at home....this lets the one server manage logins....files....settings...EVERYTHING.....real sweet if you got the time to set it up.......

Last off
just before anyone asks....why not use the uber gaming rig for a server....simple...its off too often for a new overclock challenge... and while its working hard the server is still able to take the loads needed to do all of the above.....

Is it worth it? well thats up to you....i have one :) 

EDIT.....
A note on speed....
since the server will connect to you computer with the network....its not as fast as having the hard drive in the machine....this has to be taken into consideration when running file shares......

and how could i forget

The Media Server!
load it up with videos,songs.pictures and let your household media devices play files off of it....no need to power your computer to watch your media library....thats the servers job....

Power usage....
don't forget not to make the server TOO powerful for the job....or you are just raising your power bill.....
January 15, 2007 11:06:21 PM

Quote:
You can run a home Web server if you want with apache....its free

but be aware while the idea of running an old box as a server is nice....you are limited to your ISP's upload bandwidth...

What does this mean to you? Simple professional hosting companies have lots of upstream and downstream bandwidth(lets say 10 megabits each way or more)...Home users get lots of downstream(let say 5-10) and not lots of upstream(lets say about 0.5 to 1 in most cases)....Result....If your site starts to kick some ass....you may exhaust your upstream bandwidth and get complains on how slow your site is.....

Other uses

TeamSpeak...
team speak uses little bandwidth and give you and your friends an edge if you game...once again.....FREE....and easy to setup

Games
Free.....bandwidth depends needs change from game to game....more FPS can host about 15-20 players on residential class internet....

File Server(Local)
Many people have lots of computers....and a whack load of files....in this case it makes sense to centralize your files. A server packed with tons of hard drive space can be used in conjunction with windows file sharing(shares). So you log into the living room computer and want to watch that movie you "obtained"...Sure have your my documents mapped to the servers share that contains those files....now where ever you go....there are your files...you can also have your desktop follow you...even shortcuts.....but there is a better way to do this....

Windows Domain
Designed for business....some use it at home....this lets the one server manage logins....files....settings...EVERYTHING.....real sweet if you got the time to set it up.......

Last off
just before anyone asks....why not use the uber gaming rig for a server....simple...its off too often for a new overclock challenge... and while its working hard the server is still able to take the loads needed to do all of the above.....

Is it worth it? well thats up to you....i have one :) 

EDIT.....
A note on speed....
since the server will connect to you computer with the network....its not as fast as having the hard drive in the machine....this has to be taken into consideration when running file shares......

and how could i forget

The Media Server!
load it up with videos,songs.pictures and let your household media devices play files off of it....no need to power your computer to watch your media library....thats the servers job....

Power usage....
don't forget not to make the server TOO powerful for the job....or you are just raising your power bill.....

yo, thx a lot, u r really helpful :D  but I think you missed "how to set it up" :p 
January 15, 2007 11:10:02 PM

I have a home webserver., fileserver, database server, ftp server. It is connected to a gigabit hub through two nics. I use the webserver as a mirror of the website I have with a professional hosting company. I use it for development - when I get the changes to my home webserver just right, I upload them to the hosting service.

Windows IIS will let you define a webserver. It comes with XP-Pro
January 15, 2007 11:17:46 PM

thx great help.but say a game server @ home... wouldnt u need a rather expensive(well equipped) server? some games like medal of Honor pacific assualt Wouldn't start if ur graphic card is too old... on wiki and a search i made, even dell, most servers have very lousy gfx card like that of a MX440 only..... so i can't lauch and host a mohpa game ... so doesn't that make a server expensive to own instead of what many many ppl claim,"u can have a own server just by using ur old unwanted coms"
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2007 11:20:27 PM

a game server does not run graphics....it just allows all the computers playing to talk to one another(it does all the work of keeping track of everyone and who is killing who)....as such most dedicated game servers run in a dos or terminal window.....

EDIT
to clear that up....

there is either a different program...or a -command you can add to a shortcut to get the game to run straight as a server....thereby not having to get into the game to configure a server....
January 15, 2007 11:27:28 PM

Hmmm, so I can run a Counter-Striker server with a Geforce 4 MX?
January 15, 2007 11:30:15 PM

ic... i know it will definately work on stream. but i'm pretty sure certain games like as mentioned above, mohpa requires u to get INTO the game, the menu and from there create a server. However the game will not start if u are using intergated graphics or a low end gfx card(likely case for a home server)

so i was thinking does that mean one has to also buy a high end card just to start a game server?

oh, i also wanted to ask, can u have a hybid? like a game server cum file server & media server?

and how do u play say music remotely from that server?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2007 11:30:21 PM

to set it up you can goto

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
and download apache for windows....during the install it has a wizard that will setup the majority of the settings you need....then you just dump your website into the htdocs folder...make sure the main page is called index.htm/html.

The only thing you may run into is if your isp blocks port 80....in that case you have to edit the httpd.conf file and change the listen port from 80 to....well lets say 3129....save .....then restart the apache service....this can all be done right from the start menu or taskbar.....

OR

you can use Microsoft's IIS....if you got XP pro(i think its in 2000 pro as well...or was it 2000AS i forget....)
IIS is easy to setup....Microsoft is not as bad as people say.....they are not that big for no reason....
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2007 11:30:50 PM

YES :) 
January 15, 2007 11:33:54 PM

Quote:
ic... i know it will definately work on stream. but i'm pretty sure certain games like as mentioned above, mohpa requires u to get INTO the game, the menu and from there create a server. However the game will not start if u are using intergated graphics or a low end gfx card(likely case for a home server)

so i was thinking does that mean one has to also buy a high end card just to start a game server?

oh, i also wanted to ask, can u have a hybid? like a game server cum file server & media server?

anyone?
January 15, 2007 11:40:42 PM

thx nukemaster

i have learned alot today thx to u :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2007 11:49:17 PM

Quote:

anyone?
Ok....let try again
http://www.autokick.com/content/adminguide.pdf this is a guide for MOA AA not PA...but it should be the same.....give we a try and let me know too......

as for running a server to do more than one thing.....yes.....as long as you got the power....lets face it...a web server does not use allot of cpu....and with the e4300 out....well you know....things are just better....you can use the task manager to check such things.....as a rule.....just dont torrent with the server....that will rape all the bandwidth....

How do you get the music from the computer......well in windows you can just access the computer with windows file sharing from another computer....
ie \\penguin1serv\d$\music
this assumes that you and your server use the same login name and password.....or you can just setup an account for each person and set there access rights to the share(you need windows xp pro or mce for this to work...well to make it easier...)

Hope this helps....
keep the questions coming....and other members....come help me out :) 

EDIT
wow thats allot like wolf et to setup.....
January 16, 2007 12:13:12 AM

Quote:

keep the questions coming....and other members....come help me out :) 

The IIS version that comes with XP or 2000 is a lightweight version that limits the number of websites you can configure to 1. You are also limited by a low ammount of simultaneous connections, but this is a limitation of the OS itself rather than the lightweight version of IIS. The IIS mmc snap-in is very user friendly and makes configuring your website an easy task even for beginners.

Apache needs to be downloaded separately, has no limitation on the number of websites that can be configured, but is not as user-friendly to configure as IIS is. You need to edit the configuration file (httpd.conf) with an editor like Notepad, while IIS has a nice and friendly user interface.

Both Apache and IIS can serve static HTML content. Both can serve dynamic content with PHP. IIS can serve dynamic content with ASP and ASP.NET.

HTTP by default uses port 80. Therefore if you have a home router with NAT enabled, you need to forward port 80 to your internal server.

Keep your system patched, web servers are vulnerable to security holes.
January 16, 2007 12:25:32 AM

Penguin,

Also be advised,

Many residential ISPs will not ALLOW you to run a server based upon their terms of service. So, even if you change your port address to say 3129 in the httpd.conf file for apache they may do a port scan and still find your server.

Typically they do not fuss too much as long as you are not doing heavy downloads/uploads from your server.

Just be advised via port scan (which they all do) they could still catch ya running your own server.

A way around that is to reject any inbound requests using your firewall EXCEPT the remote locations/IP addresses you/friends/family would normally access from (kind of a pain to maintain).

So in effect you would restrict access to everyone but folks with the right IP address and correct port mapping.

You can typically upgrade your residential service to a business service (some do not even charge any more for this upgrade) and then run a smallish server without fear of busting terms of service.

Hope this helps.

PS.. Apache is very nice and you will find a lot of support for it. The linux version could be NOT for the faint of heart though.

PSS.. You may also have to open ports on your router if you have one.
January 16, 2007 12:31:16 AM

Quote:

anyone?

ssh user@remote-host "cat file-name.mp3" | mpg321 -

This logins to the remote host as user, runs the following command
(cat file-name.mp3) and pipes the output to mpg321, which is reading from stdin thanks to the dash in the end.

This is of course a general tool. You can stream anything anywere this way. A movie for instance. Just use mplayer instead of mpg321.

If you only want to simply copy the file you can use
... | cat >local-file-name
or scp :
scp user@remote-host:p ath/file-name local-path-and-file-name
January 16, 2007 12:33:44 AM

you can of course run samba or nfs to do all straming transparently
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2007 12:43:17 AM

Quote:

anyone?

This logins to the remote host as user, runs the following command
(cat file-name.mp3) and pipes the output to mpg321, which is reading from stdin thanks to the dash in the end.

This is of course a general tool. You can stream anything anywere this way. A movie for instance. Just use mplayer instead of mpg321.

If you only want to simply copy the file you can use
... | cat >local-file-name
or scp :
scp user@remote-host:p ath/file-name local-path-and-file-name
ohhh linux master...my head hurts......samba...yeah i've used that :) ....

Quote:
Many residential ISPs will not ALLOW you to run a server based upon their terms of service. So, even if you change your port address to say 3129 in the httpd.conf file for apache they may do a port scan and still find your server.

yeah...sorry my bad....not worth getting your isp pissed for a web server....most don't mind small gamer servers too much...
January 16, 2007 12:58:44 AM

Quote:

ohhh linux master...my head hurts......samba...yeah i've used that :) ....

Wow. Nobody called me linux master before =P
I learned this from my friend who used it to watch movies stored on his stationary fileserver from a laptop in the kitchen. He didnt feel like setting up any remote file system. This works almost out of the box. Ssh is always there and even if its not it takes one line to install.
It is quite neat what can be done with one command in linux isnt it?
January 16, 2007 12:58:53 AM

Apache can also run ASP, provided you install the module for it. I think it also has a module for ASP.NET as well, though it's been a long time since I have messed with either.

And you are right- Apache isn't the easiest thing to setup (not difficult, just takes a lot of time editing the .conf file) . If you have XP Pro/IIS, then you really need to disable IIS before Apache works correctly (and vice versa).
January 16, 2007 1:19:52 AM

Quote:
Apache can also run ASP, provided you install the module for it.

I will just pretend I did not read that.
January 16, 2007 2:31:11 PM

What- you don't believe me?

http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpd/mod_aspdotnet/

I have the installer on my system, and the university from which I graduated uses it. They run Apache on Linux with several additional modules installed. This seems to be the .NET version; I was originally referring to the ASP version.

I am surprised that this was moved to retired status though.
January 18, 2007 1:09:38 AM

It's not that I don't believe you.

It's just that ASP for Apache is like Rocky 5 : it never existed.
January 18, 2007 2:49:09 AM

Hmm...I never saw Rocky V, so not too sure about your analogy. Was it as bad as the second Highlander film? :) 

I cannot comment on whether or not ASP on Apache was any good, as the coursework we did probably wasn't that intensive. All I can say is that it worked for us.
!