Difference Between 8800GTX, GTS???

Apoc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Noob question here, I own a viewsonic monitor- i heard somewhere that a 8800GTX can be wasted on some monitors especially SLI configs, i guess what im trying to get at is who is a GTX intended for and same for the GTS, Obviously gamers but id rather save the $$$ if i couldnt even notice a difference in performance. GTX just for bragging rights?

here is my Montior specs
Manufacturer Warranty : 3 years warranty
Diagonal Size : 21"
Viewable Size : 20.0"
Interface : VGA (HD-15)
Compliant Standards : UL, DHHS, TUV, FCC-B, CE, MPR-II, VESA DPMS, NORDIC, TUV/GS, TCO '99, cUL, DDC-2B, DDC-1, NOM, C-TIC
Max Resolution : 2048 x 1536 / 61 Hz
Product Description : ViewSonic G810 - display - CRT - 21"
Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch : 0.21 mm
Device Type : Display / CRT
Dimensions (WxDxH) : 19.7 in x 19.2 in x 20 in
Power Consumption Operational : 120 Watt
Weight : 51.8 lbs
Power : AC 110/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

First off, do you plan on going SLI?
A single GTX has more than enough power to run most any current game at your max resolution.

The GTS would not be a bad choice, expecialy if you are trying to save some cash.
It is about 25% slower @stock than the GTX but when overclocked the diffrence in performance is neglibale.

All depends on how mutch $ you want to spend.
A GTS will treat you good, but the GTX is just a f'ing sweet card.

G

The difference is 25% , 25% less stream processor/clock speed/price/performance... The GTS can be Oced to GTX performance, obiously if you OC the GTX it will still be roughly 20% faster.

Look at the resolution you intend to play, the games you like and see the benchies.
RainBow6 Las vegas is a good indicatiopn of upcomming title since it's based on Unreal 3 engine.

I find it very much playable at 1680X1050 (22" widescrean) with everything maxed expect for shadow at medium. Thats with a GTS at 600/900 (will go 645/1000, no a big difference for the feeling in game and makes the GPU jumps gfrom 75 to 80-85).

Hope this add a little input!