Need help with choice of RPTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 3, 2004 8:02:01 PM

My great old 27" TV died. Instead of paying $800+ for a new tube with
the same PQ, I'm biting the bullet and getting a RPTV.

Here's my info.

I have digital cable and don't see that $15+/month is worth 7 channels
of stuff I don't really watch anyways. So, most viewing will be 8+
hours per day (Wife works from home in the living room, weekends are
mine :)  of digital cable, mostly 4:3 stuff (Enterprise, CSI, Discovery,
TechTV stuff, old mystery shows) with some DVD viewing but not much more
than 5 rentals a month.

My viewing room is 15'x14' with a range of about 10-12 feet. One wall
(South facing) has tall double windows and the front door. Seating
layout will be directly accross from screen AND roughly 50degrees off-
center on both sides.

I'll have my audio surround system for sound. I'm using TimeWarner's
digital cable with DVR and a Toshiba DVD player along with an el-cheapo
Apex 1110W for DVDRs.

My top price really needs to be below $1600 w/o tax/shipping.

What I've liked so far are.

RCA D52W20 $1499. I like the PQ, but the reports of failures worry
me. I don't know if this supports 3:2 pulldown.

Toshiba 51H83 $1599. Great picture. I've been told that over 5 years
the screen will lose %40-%50 of it's brightness WITH yearly maintenance.

Mitsubishi WS-55313 $1360 Great picture, comes with removable screen
protector. I've been told Mitsu's don't lose their brightness over 5
years like other manfs.

Mitsubishi WS-55412 $1650 FIVE CRT projector with noticably better
picture than the others excepting the RCA. $400 5 year warranty was
highly recommended for yearly cleaning/adjustments.

HHGregg is having a tent sale on the Mitsu's at a few hundred off for
the next few days.

Panasonic PT53TW53 $1549 (minus $250mir and $100 gift card). Haven't
seen the picture but I like the built-in component stand vs. the
speakers on the bottom.

Last question. Do I buy the warranty or not? It's $400 from HHGregg
for 4 years.

Thanks for the help.

More about : choice rptv

Anonymous
May 4, 2004 7:11:09 AM

Check out the Hitachi RPTV's. A 46 inch set would be perfect for your room
and their 4:3 Expanded mode for watching 4:3 TV has gotten excellent reviews
in this newsgroup. Hitachi is to RPTV's as Sony used to be for regular TV
sets. I have the 46F500 model and am extremely happy with it.

Do Google searches on best RPTV's and I think you will see that Hitachi
rates very high. And I think everyone will agree that you should stay away
from RCA.

JK

!