Windows Media Player file type annoyances

February 6, 2005 4:58:39 PM

I am running Windows XP Professional with SP2 installed. I also have Windows
Media Player 10 installed. WMP is _not_ my preferred player, and it is not
the default application for any major media types. Still I find that most of
the entries in the context menu when I right click a media type are
WMP-related. I have tried editing the file types in the registry, but I am
unable to find any registry entries for the following options:

- Add to Now Playing list
- Add to Playlist...
- Add to Sync List
- Add to Burn List
- Play with Media Player

I consider these to be clutter on my context-menu. The only WMP-related
entry I want for my media files is under the "Open With" submenu. Apart from
that I want to rip out all of the above and leave them bleeding on the
ground. But how on earth do I do this? I do not find them in the registry,
and I don't find any options in WMP to remove them.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:57:04 PM

Hi André,

See if this command helps, from Start, Run:

regsvr32 /u wmpshell.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Professional with SP2 installed. I also have
>Windows Media Player 10 installed. WMP is _not_ my preferred player, and it
>is not the default application for any major media types. Still I find that
>most of the entries in the context menu when I right click a media type are
>WMP-related. I have tried editing the file types in the registry, but I am
>unable to find any registry entries for the following options:
>
> - Add to Now Playing list
> - Add to Playlist...
> - Add to Sync List
> - Add to Burn List
> - Play with Media Player
>
> I consider these to be clutter on my context-menu. The only WMP-related
> entry I want for my media files is under the "Open With" submenu. Apart
> from that I want to rip out all of the above and leave them bleeding on
> the ground. But how on earth do I do this? I do not find them in the
> registry, and I don't find any options in WMP to remove them.

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:57:05 PM

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> regsvr32 /u wmpshell.dll