HELP! CPU won't boot if >2GB of RAM installed!!

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
So I have had 2 1GB modules installed in my C2D, P5W DH based system for about 3 months now. No problem. However:

- If I put another 1GB module in, the logo screen posts and the computer does not boot.

- If I put 2 more 1GB modules in, I don't even get the logo screen; it powers up to a black screen. Nothing happens.

Here's the maddening thing. There was a time when all 4 GB booted up fine. I removed 2 because someone told me I'd get better OC's. Of course, XP doesn't use them anyway. But it's almost Vista time.

The last couple of things I'll mention is that I swapped out various modules so I know that all 4 modules are good. When I noticed this problem, I had BIOS ver. 1602. I just flashed to BIOS 1707. No change. I also air-blast the sh*t out of the DIMM slots.

Can someone PLEASE help me? I live in San Diego, and after last night's football game I'm already depressed enough.. now I can't even boot up on more than 2GB of memory.

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
You quoted someone else from another forum. Were you trying to advise me that clearing the CMOS should fix my problem? You mean with a jumper?

I already flashed a new BIOS version. Didn't help.

Any other suggestions? I'm still heartbroken about last Sunday. If someone could tell me why I can no longer use my expensive extra 2 gigs of RAM it would be somewhat consoling. Thanks friends :)

MindDrive

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
its a joke man... laugh... btw its in his sig...

p4's arent dual core -_- *sigh*

clearing the cmos allows the system to "refind" the hardware... might have a bug stuck in one of ur settings... its worht a try and is mostly painless... that is unless you get the battery spring jabbed under ur fingernail and bleed everywhere... blood does conduct electricity so be carefull ;) j/k heh

yeah ... clear the cmos.. might work... if not completely disassemble the components and start over... dunno why but its worked for me b4.. u might have a static death stick of ram too... try each stick in the same #1 ram slot individually.. if they all boot, then try dual channel the same way... they all boot then try 3, if that boots then add the 4th... should work

eastbay

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
For what its worth:
When I replaced 2 512's with 2 1GB's I had to up the voltage to the ram.
My BIOS (I don't have your board) only allowed 3 settings - so I set it up 1 'step' - been rock solid ever since.

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
Yeah I figured as much... A dual-core P4 would be news to me too. I didn't click on his links, so I appreciate you doing that for me and explaining the joke :) . I was indeed surprised to see someone of such high esteem mention a "dual core P4."

Anyway, raised the mem voltage to 2.1v. Nothing. Next comes.. Geez.. a total disassembly and reconstruction. I can't wait! If that doesn't work, I'll certainly be back. Thanks for the help in the meantime :)

PS - I would hope static isn't the issue. I'm one of those paranoid guys who wears a wrist strap, ground myself, and have a static-free pad. Plus, I did try each module in slot 1. Each works. Let's see what happens.

sailer

Splendid
PS - I would hope static isn't the issue. I'm one of those paranoid guys who wears a wrist strap, ground myself, and have a static-free pad. Plus, I did try each module in slot 1. Each works. Let's see what happens.

What you need to do is test one stick in each individual slot. Slots 1 and 3 may be good, if that is what you were running before, but either slot 2 or 4 may have gone dead. A bad slot, when filled, can cause the whole machine not to function. If that happens, then its time for a new motherboard.

I had something similar happen to my computer a couple weeks ago. One slot died, then a second, then nothing worked. A new motherboard fixed it like new.

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
Geez this is so demoralizing. I doubt I can RMA this because I bought it as an open item from Newegg (probably my first mistake). Does anyone think it's worth contacting ASUS for a replacement?

Anyway, if that doesn't work, I have to get a new mobo. I'm not in the market for SLI, but very much in the market for stable, substantial overclocking. Any recommendations? I was thinking about possibly a P5B Deluxe. Or should I get another P5W DH?

Any suggestions? I'd like to not go much higher than $250.

Also - have the bugs generally been worked out of the 680i chipset? Anyone got a good recommendation for an nVidia-based board?

Thanks everyone.

sailer

Splendid
To start with, contact ASUS and tell them the problem. Just don't tell them it was an open box. It might not matter, but I never tell them anything they don't ask. Even though Newegg may not do anything, ASUS might do a RMA anyway. I've had to RMA a couple boards with them and they have been very co-operative.

If you get another board, I think the P5B Deluxe would be a good one. At least I've heard good things about it.