Sign in with
Your question

Antec SmartPower PSU

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2007 12:11:58 AM

I have an Antec case with a 450W Smartpower PSU. This thing has two fans, one on the interior of the case, and another on the exterior of the case. I have not seen the fan on the exterior of the case turn. Ever. However, the fan on the interior does. Does this seem unusual?

More about : antec smartpower psu

January 16, 2007 12:34:01 AM

its thermally controlled.
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 16, 2007 12:37:54 AM

yup....all normal....game for a bit and it will start to turn.....also a great way to screw with peoples minds.....you know...they walk by at a lan....WTF your fans off.....yeah yeah....i disconnected it....too loud :) 
Related resources
January 16, 2007 12:41:28 AM

Quote:
yup....all normal....game for a bit and it will start to turn.....also a great way to screw with peoples minds.....you know...they walk by at a lan....WTF your fans off.....yeah yeah....i disconnected it....too loud :) 

LOL and take a spare hsf. lay it on the table.
and when people ask.

tellem after an hour or so i have to install it to keep things cool :lol: 
January 16, 2007 1:01:43 AM

Quote:
Normal or not the Smartpower PSUs are not very good. Keep an eye on the system anyway. Personaly i've never heard of a thermaly controled fan that will shut off. Lower RPMs yes but not shut off.

he probably has the sonataII.

i have one and the fan doesnt run until it gets hot.
i have tried it before. :wink:
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 16, 2007 1:13:01 AM

Quote:

LOL and take a spare hsf. lay it on the table.
and when people ask.

tellem after an hour or so i have to install it to keep things cool :lol: 
LOL i have one from a stereo amp :) 
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 16, 2007 1:13:51 AM

there are 2 fans...only one goes off(all for quiet).....and for the price....it will run most systems for along time anyway.....not saying i don't want more power.....just for more video power in the future....
January 16, 2007 1:28:24 AM

the external kicks in once the PSU int temp reaches about 50c AND you are consuming xxx watts, in your case maybe 200W+

it is normal for this series

I would still prefer TP2 series over SP and it doesnt cost that much more
January 16, 2007 1:28:45 AM

i have a harman-kardon surround sound reciever that has
a cooling fan that is suppose to kick in when it gets hot.

have never heard it though.
January 16, 2007 1:30:15 AM

i have the tp2 series too and it has worked fine for me.
January 16, 2007 1:40:17 AM

Sorry, yeah, it is a Sonata II. Of course, there's more to it than what is going on with the fan... Built the machine a year ago for home video editing and TV. The TV functionality was always a bit flaky... Recently, however, I've begun seeing system hangs when rendering video and burning DVDs. DVD burner subsequently crapped out (a Lite-On USB external drive).

Quick Specs:

PSU - Smartpower 2.0
CPU - Athlon 3800+ dual core
GPU - GeForce 6800XT
HDD - (2) 250GB Caviar
ATI 550 PCIe TV tuner (Powercolor)

Reading all the posts about random system hangs and loser PSUs, I was suspicious about the external fan never kicking on.

GPU temps around 52-53 C, CPU temps around 33-34 C. These are typical temperatures when the system hangs. Memtest86 didn't find any problems with either of my 1 GB Corsair XMS sticks.

Started over from scratch, new partitions, reformat, reinstall XP, drivers, etc. Installed drivers that shipped with the GPU, upgraded to two subsequent updates, and the same problems keep nagging.

With the TV tuner, whether watching it on the screen or just recording without passing it to a display, the machine locks up after 2 minutes, 10 minutes, or 2 hours, depending on the position of Venus and Mercury in the sky.

I'm ready to punt... what should I spend my time chasing here?
January 16, 2007 1:42:16 AM

it very well could be your psu.
January 16, 2007 2:48:56 AM

The SP is great. I have the 500w version. Yeah, the fan doesn't turn on if you don't get high temps.
January 16, 2007 3:21:06 AM

Quote:
The SP is great

Well there's something I've never heard before :wink:.
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 16, 2007 3:10:26 PM

how about sp ain't bad :) 

@ kiackbldr - u might as well change it....as it looks like you have checked everything else....
January 16, 2007 4:11:32 PM

Do the currents from the two 12V rails combine to make the total amperage available for all 12V devices? Or are the individual rails dedicated only to specific devices? So my question is really whether all of those 36 amps are really available... If I'm freezing up on 17 amps for 12V2 (existing power supply), it seems it'd still be pretty tight with the 18 amps of the Fortron psu.

Is your suggestion less about the amps on the 12V rails and more about the PSU reliability / quality?

Thanks.
January 16, 2007 4:33:29 PM

Quote:
Sorry, yeah, it is a Sonata II. Of course, there's more to it than what is going on with the fan... Built the machine a year ago for home video editing and TV. The TV functionality was always a bit flaky... Recently, however, I've begun seeing system hangs when rendering video and burning DVDs. DVD burner subsequently crapped out (a Lite-On USB external drive).

ATI 550 PCIe TV tuner (Powercolor)

Erm, try it without the Theatre 550. Many, including myself, have had trouble with resource conflicts between the 550 card and Sata ports, ridiculous as it sounds. The result is system hanging every minute or two. There was a thread here about that a while ago. Just try removing the 550 and see what happens. It's a great card especially for its comb filter, but I find I've had better captures using a Pinnacle USB 700, as long as the comb filter function is not needed.
February 27, 2007 10:12:00 PM

It's been a while, but I finally got around to installing the PSU suggested in this thread. Sad to say it is worse now than before. It runs idle just fine; however, after 1 minute of using the TV tuner, the thing hard locks. Every time. I'm trying to render some video and burn a DVD to see how that goes. After that, I Think I'll put the Smartpower back in.

Any one want a brand spankin' new Fortron 450W PSU? It still has that "new PSU smell."
February 27, 2007 10:47:15 PM

Yeah, I ran that, no errors... see previous post.
February 28, 2007 1:50:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I ran that, no errors... see previous post.

Well, you didn't respond to my post about it being a resource conflict between the 550 and Sata ports, a problem I have had, as have others. Of COURSE it's not the power supply, why would that only act up when using the 550? duh. Try the 550 in another slot, try uninstalling and updating the Sata/IDE drivers. I've had this problem too, and it was eventually solved.
February 28, 2007 2:30:06 AM

BustedSony... I should have mentioned the 550 I have is PCIeX1. And the motherboard layout will only let it go into the one it's in. Sounds like a fun idea, though.
February 28, 2007 2:33:34 AM

Sony... It also gives me trouble when rendering video and burning DVDs. Those variables kind of steered me away from blaming the 550. I think I mentioned that, but maybe not...

I'm going to double check to make sure I can't bend that card enough to fit into another X1 slot :) 

Thanks.
February 28, 2007 4:14:51 AM

Quote:
Sony... It also gives me trouble when rendering video and burning DVDs. Those variables kind of steered me away from blaming the 550. I think I mentioned that, but maybe not...

I'm going to double check to make sure I can't bend that card enough to fit into another X1 slot :) 

Thanks.

I was originally looking for the PCI-E version of the 550 myself. For a new card I'd be going after the PCI-E 650.

Burning DVDs can also be a problem with I/O of course. But if it fails rendering when nothing else is going on, then yes, your system is unstable. However, ...rendering what with what? I use HCencode for mpeg and DivX pro for DivX.
!