Why can't I see local groups

I am using W2k. Using poledit I can add individual users and modify their
settings. When I try adding a group that exists on my computer, nothing
shows up eventhough I have locally created a group. I want to have my kids
in a group that I can restrict what they do on my machine. When I login I
want full access. I have tried typing in the name of a group that exists and
modifying its settings but the setting never get applied to the users that
are within that local group.

I have tried gpedit.msc on the local group policy but that applies to
everyone the logs into the machine and also it doesn't apply to a specific
group, so I was hoping that poledit would let me administer this local
group. I do not have active directory or a 2000 server so don't ask. I am
just working with my 1 2000 machine. Can anyone help with the locals groups?

Ray.

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:51:03 -0400, "r fred" <ray.frederick@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I am using W2k. Using poledit I can add individual users and modify their
>settings. When I try adding a group that exists on my computer, nothing
>shows up eventhough I have locally created a group. I want to have my kids
>in a group that I can restrict what they do on my machine. When I login I
>want full access. I have tried typing in the name of a group that exists and
>modifying its settings but the setting never get applied to the users that
>are within that local group.
>
>I have tried gpedit.msc on the local group policy but that applies to
>everyone the logs into the machine and also it doesn't apply to a specific
>group, so I was hoping that poledit would let me administer this local
>group. I do not have active directory or a 2000 server so don't ask. I am
>just working with my 1 2000 machine. Can anyone help with the locals groups?
>
>Ray.

See tip 2492 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP