Sign in with
Your question

how to change to widescreen resolution?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2007 1:19:00 AM

On my laptop, under display properties->settings, all of the resolutions are 4x3 aspect ratios.

If I hook up a widescreen monitor to my computer, how do I set the resolution to a widescreen aspect ratio?

I have already tried hooking up a 16x9 digital projector to the vga port, which I was hoping would appear to look like a widescreen monitor to windows, but am unable to switch to widescreen resolution.

More about : change widescreen resolution

January 16, 2007 3:01:21 AM

You need to disable dual display. Or in other words you need to stop video from being displayed on your laptop screen.

How old is that thing anyways? Who makes 4:3 laptop displays these days?
January 16, 2007 3:12:06 AM

Its a brand new IBM T60, everybody at our company has a laptop with 4x3 displays.

So you're saying that if I hit the function key combination to turn off the built in laptop panel, then I'll see more screen resolution options?
Related resources
January 16, 2007 3:16:08 AM

Yes, but you may also have to disable it in video properties. Give it a go.
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2007 3:59:40 AM

Make shure you have the latest drivers and look in ATI's control pannel.

The laptop you have has a X1400 chip which claims to

Quote:
Drive two displays simultaneously with independent resolutions and refresh rates

Sorry as I have not had an ATI card in a while, I don't know exactly where to point you in the control pannel.
January 16, 2007 4:01:17 AM

christ.
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2007 4:04:47 AM

You rang?
January 16, 2007 9:04:18 PM

outlw6669:
What makes you think I have a X1400 graphics chip?
I might be ignorant here... all I know is that in the device manager it says "graphics mobile intel 945GM Express chipset family"
January 16, 2007 9:37:08 PM

he probably looked up your model on lenovo's site and assumed...

sorry to hear u have integrated graphics though. my condolences.
January 16, 2007 9:41:48 PM

Well its a laptop... don't all laptops have integrated graphics?
January 16, 2007 9:43:41 PM

uuhhh... no. the laptop i'm on has a radeon mobility x1800. it's not integrated.... uses the PCI-e mobile slot.

but, a lot of laptops do have integrated.
January 16, 2007 9:52:34 PM

never heard of a PCI e-mobile slot, but I haven't seen too many high end laptops either. Is that like PCMCIA, only a full fledged PCI bus? I'm sure the slot doesn't take standard PCI cards, right?
January 16, 2007 10:00:10 PM

January 16, 2007 10:29:03 PM

Quote:
uuhhh... no. the laptop i'm on has a radeon mobility x1800. it's not integrated.... uses the PCI-e mobile slot.

Yes, that's the one I gave your mom for doing her in rear, as well as silver Samsung 204B.
January 17, 2007 3:02:44 AM

Quote:

Yes, that's the one I gave your mom for doing her in rear, as well as silver Samsung 204B.

lol. calling carmack a wanker sure has brought out the flamers.
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2007 11:21:43 AM

Sorry I googled your laptop and saw that it had the X1400.
Now I feel like an ass :oops: 
January 17, 2007 11:40:20 AM

Ok so the bottom line here is that the lack of widescreen aspect resolutions is due to an older version of the graphics card driver, and there is no driver that would come with a widescreen monitor that would fix this right?

i.e. the widescreen resolutions would come from the graphics driver, not a monitor driver?
November 10, 2011 8:32:14 AM

gosh, you all all way more advanced than me, but i think i have the same problem: can i fix my monitor display to correct width? it looks too wide! My pictures are looking way distorted... (the aspect ratio is incorrect) (from win display quality troubleshooter that i downloaded: “display settings are not optimized.”)
My recently-bought (used) laptop, even though it is a widescreen (1280 x800), does not even display the option for me to choose a widescreen resolution setting. I have winXP pro, aspire laptop 5315-2077, model# ICL50 . I have tried in vain troubleshooting, to find out how to change the screen res using the control panel’s settings (display, in px, w. vs h.)- BUT, in my scrolldown of options there, there are nothing but different resolutions of the SAME ratio! (only: 1024 X 768, 800 X 600, or 640 x 480)(ie. no width change!) Any simple guidance, please? Thanks so much!
November 11, 2011 8:14:44 AM

redss said:
Ok so the bottom line here is that the lack of widescreen aspect resolutions is due to an older version of the graphics card driver, and there is no driver that would come with a widescreen monitor that would fix this right?

i.e. the widescreen resolutions would come from the graphics driver, not a monitor driver?

Hi redss, did you ever resolve your problem? Did you end up downloading a display adapter driver that worked for you?
In my Control Panel-System-Device Manager-Display Adapters it says: Mobile Intel (R) 965 Express Chipset Family.
:D evice status: “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)”
Please let me know, as I have the same problem (and am fairly a computer newbie)!
November 11, 2011 8:21:03 AM

outlw6669 said:
You rang?

hi god, lol ;) 
since you are a veteran i thought i should ask you direct as well, since this thread is so old...
i have the same problem: my monitor display looks too wide. My pictures are looking way distorted... (the aspect ratio is incorrect) (from win display quality troubleshooter that i downloaded: “display settings are not optimized.”)
My recently-bought (used) laptop, even though it is a widescreen (1280 x800), does not even display the option for me to choose a widescreen resolution setting. I have winXP pro, aspire laptop 5315-2077, model# ICL50 In the control panel’s settings (display, in px, w. vs h.)- scrolldown of options are nothing but different resolutions of the SAME ratio (only: 1024 X 768, 800 X 600, or 640 x 480)(ie. no width change!)
In my Control Panel-System-Device Manager-Display Adapters it says: Mobile Intel (R) 965 Express Chipset Family.
:D evice status: “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)” ...
Any simple guidance, please? much appreciations!
!