startup programs

How can I stop a program running from startup, to speed up the process? It's
a piece of SMART software for running an interactive whiteboard, but I only
use it for planning purposes, so it doesn't need to run autamatically, just
when I need it.
Thanks.
Geoff.
3 answers Last reply
More about startup programs

    The startup is in one of two places:

    Go to Start --> All Programs --> Startup. If the program is there, drag it
    to your desktop or QuickLaunch bar.

    From then on, it won't start automatically, but will do so when you click
    it.

    The other place it might be is in the registry
    (HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run). Deleting it from here
    will prevent it from starting, but the program may put it back everytime it
    runs.

    One other option: Start the program and look for an Options or Preferences
    menu. Somewhere in there may be an option to disable autostarting. If there
    is, you can start the program normally from the Start menu.

    courtney sends....

    "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > How can I stop a program running from startup, to speed up the process?
    > It's a piece of SMART software for running an interactive whiteboard, but
    > I only use it for planning purposes, so it doesn't need to run
    > autamatically, just when I need it.
    > Thanks.
    > Geoff.

    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    In news:uAGwyeFDFHA.2232@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Geoff A. <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> typed:

    > How can I stop a program running from startup, to speed up the
    > process? It's a piece of SMART software for running an
    > interactive
    > whiteboard, but I only use it for planning purposes, so it
    > doesn't
    > need to run autamatically, just when I need it.

    On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
    Options to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily
    and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG
    from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
    programs you don't want to start automatically.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Geoff,

    How to manage Windows Startup?:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Startup.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > How can I stop a program running from startup, to speed up the process?
    > It's a piece of SMART software for running an interactive whiteboard, but
    > I only use it for planning purposes, so it doesn't need to run
    > autamatically, just when I need it.
    > Thanks.
    > Geoff.

Microsoft Software Windows XP