startup programs

February 6, 2005 5:25:24 PM

How can I stop a program running from startup, to speed up the process? It's
a piece of SMART software for running an interactive whiteboard, but I only
use it for planning purposes, so it doesn't need to run autamatically, just
when I need it.
Thanks.
Geoff.

More about : startup programs

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 5:25:25 PM

The startup is in one of two places:

Go to Start --> All Programs --> Startup. If the program is there, drag it
to your desktop or QuickLaunch bar.

From then on, it won't start automatically, but will do so when you click
it.

The other place it might be is in the registry
(HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run). Deleting it from here
will prevent it from starting, but the program may put it back everytime it
runs.

One other option: Start the program and look for an Options or Preferences
menu. Somewhere in there may be an option to disable autostarting. If there
is, you can start the program normally from the Start menu.

courtney sends....

"Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> How can I stop a program running from startup, to speed up the process?
> It's a piece of SMART software for running an interactive whiteboard, but
> I only use it for planning purposes, so it doesn't need to run
> autamatically, just when I need it.
> Thanks.
> Geoff.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 5:25:25 PM

In news:uAGwyeFDFHA.2232@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Geoff A. <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> typed:

> How can I stop a program running from startup, to speed up the
> process? It's a piece of SMART software for running an
> interactive
> whiteboard, but I only use it for planning purposes, so it
> doesn't
> need to run autamatically, just when I need it.

On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
Options to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily
and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG
from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
programs you don't want to start automatically.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:22:34 PM

Geoff,